Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does Anyone wheel with "Back" problems???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JK5, Apr 13, 2005.

1. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's official...I'm a "Web Wheeler"!!!! :blush: :frown1: :(

I hurt my lower back at work...and the doc says...
    I need to retire from wheeling for about 6 months. :crazy: :(

It's gonna be tough to stay away from my trail rig...
    especially since I like to wheel at least once a week.

Does anyone wear a Back brace????
    I'll have to wear one after I recover. :mad:

2. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

Back problems.

I am not sure what your problemns are but I recently had a disk removed from my back. Surgery went great was on the trail like 4-6 weeks later (taking it easy of course). Doc gave me a clean bill of health like 2 months after. Good luck and let me know what and where you hurt your back. Maybe the same as mine was. Good luck

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

might be a good time to invest in some Beards or another quality seat... ;)

my sympathies on the back.. never had an issue myself (i make up for it with the worst knees on the planet ;) ) but my boss is a bad back sufferer and it looks like it sucks...

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am much the same way, strong back, but terrible knees. Gotta be careful getting in and outta the K25, very easy to dislocate them, lol

My buddy has bad back problems too, looks like it sucks worse than weak knees by a long shot...

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I ve got a bad back and knees - just lucky I guess ......By far the back problem is much worse than the knees !
    Let YOUR back be your guide on what you do as far as wheeling goes. I sometimes have to get out and watch instead of ride because of discomfort with my back . If my back is out of wack there is no way in hell that I can make a wheeling trip by any means.
    I have found that the back brace does not help me at all - but strengthening my back by extremely good posture(sp) does way more than I ever would have imagined.
    I'm falling apart one piece at a time ....Tom :)

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

My pop uses a special back brace with pockets for those little chemical hand warmers when he rides his motorcycle. He had a spinal fusion about 26 years ago and it still gives bad pain, but he said the heat helps. He also has arthritis in both knees but refuses to quit riding. Got a windshield for his bike for this summer to help the back while riding.

Just do what ya can while ya can and enjoy every minute.

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Been out of work because of my back since last May. Been in physical therapy for just as long as well. They said my back wouldnt be much concern if i was 65 and retired, they would just fuse it and give me pain killers. But being only 19 ive got issues. I have a back brace, and had to wear it for 4 months, and now i just wear it when i need it.

Do i still wheel, yes, as often as possible. Should i be, no. There is no way i am going to just give up something i love so much. I normally have to get out and stretch every so often, and have to watch the real bone jarring stuff. There is no more jumping my truck, or high speed dune running, and i have to watch it on the rocks. Like others said, let your back be your guide. It will let you know when you are going beyond what you should do. Just dont be like me, and still lift axles and junk when you are supposed to be limited to 20 pounds :crazy: Hopefully only two more years and i can get my disc's replaced.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Joe, that is the most retarded thing i've ever heard. take it easy for a while, and your back could get better. my dad is laying in bed not 20 feet from me recovering from a back surgery, and he'll be there for the next 6 weeks. its either lay down, or stand up. this is his third surgery and they dont get any easier. he has had problems with his since 1982. so either take it easy for a few months now, or be in pain for the rest of your life.

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Thats one thing I don't believe I will ever have a problem with. My dad, grandpa, uncles on both sides all have strong backs. Our problems are eyesight, receding hairlines, cancer, and heart problems :D

Its ok Jerry...just let me drive your K5 (insert evil laugh here).

Its too bad, ecbb would have been fun, and I hear Skip is having a mudfest at his house or something. You should go anyway!

10. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

last may, i was rear-ended by a bus, on the job, in dallas. whiplash and torn back muscles. they made me stay home for 2days, but left it up to me after that. i came back because they needed me to continue on a project. i should have stayed home a lot longer. and, i went on our wheelin/beach trip even though my back was killing me, and ended up spending the second day swimming in liquor to numb the pain from bouncing around on the dunes. i'm good with pain, but damn, man, don't give that kind of injury a chance to get worse. rest it, then keep it lightly exercised until you feel right. i wish i had.

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You Old F@#K. You have to learn to take it easy on Yourself. I will get you one of those Electric Wheel chairs and put some Swampers on it so you can go Wheeling :D :D :D

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :rotfl: :rotfl:

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Time to get some air ride seats out of a semi! ;)

Tell your the chicks to take it easy on you cause they're throwing out your back! :p:

It's a shame to see PK5 hibernate over wheelin season. :( But better to rest and recover than screw something up for good!

14. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I had back problems for over 20 years. Can't even begin to describe the pain. The last time they sent me to the sandbox convinced me to finally let them cut on me. I had less pain after the operation than I had in 20 years. I didn't even need the pain killers during the recovery. I wasn't back to 100% for a long time but I did everything they told me to do so the recovery would work out. My back is great now because I had a good doctor and listened to his instructions. When he let me know that I might not be able to walk if I wasn't careful I really paid attention. I guess I'm saying that you need to follow your doctor's instructions or be ready to suffer for the rest of your life if something goes wrong. Hope everything goes well with your recovery.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I can sympathize...

Having back problems suck!--I've had scoliosis of the spine since I was a teen,(a curve in the spine for those who never heard of it--some folks get a double curve,like a letter "S"--thats what I have,the doctors claim its less severe than a single curve--glad I dont have that,because the double curve is no picnic,I'd hate to think of the pain the "worse" case could cause!)..

So I have to get used to constant pain in my rib cage and lower back-it forces your ribs and internal organs to one side,and can affect the heart as well..-I've gone the route with pills like percocet,vicodin,tylenol-codine,and other pain killers years ago,but had to give them up before addiction set in--after a few months they didn't help much anyway,I built up tolerance.

.I've tried drinking,weed,excersise,and physical therapy,but all had no real effect,in fact the excersise and physical therapy made it hurt even more!--I've learned the best painkiller is to keep busy,and your mind off the pain--this leads to more strain on the back,and more pain than ever when the day is done--but at least your not lying in bed thinking about it all day...

Its a vicious cycle--I can work,but as I'm working my back gets more and more sore--then after a night of tossing and turning,it often hurts more!
    But I decided my back isn't going to deny me the many pleasures of life--I just try not to overdo anything,and eat healthy...they wanted to put titanium rods in my spine to correct the curves when I was 22,but spending 9 months in a body cast with a 50/50 chance of no complications wasn't my idea of fun,so I passed on the operation--had to wear a brace and get one shoe built up,my left leg is a little shorter than the right,that aggravates the curve--I wore them for about a year,then said the hell with them!--I didnt notice much improvement with them...they were a PITA more than anything...

So as I have aged,I guess my tolerance to pain got higher--I can still do most everything I want to,within reason--I dont try to push a dead vehicle in my garage alone,or lift over 75lbs without a winch or something to help..I just have to grin and bear it--nobody is going to make it easy for me just because I have a back problem,so I have no choice but to go about my daily routine like nothing is wrong--it only bothers me most at night,when I try to sleep..

I have ridden quads,and bounced around on front end loaders,rode dirt bikes,and was suprised I had no pain!--UNTIL I tried to sleep!--but it seems to pass quickly,and it comes and goes,I can go for days with no pain at all,other days suck,especially if its cold,damp,or rainy out,that seems to aggravate it much more...now my knees are starting to crap out from kneeling on a cement floor fixing lawn tractors for too many years--I'm going to make a "lift table" so I dont have to bend over so much--thats half my problem,poor posture and not being comfortable at work..Hope your back heals good and you have no permanent disability...Good Luck!. :crazy:

16. JK5

My problem is a herniated disc that's bulging against my siatic nerve in my lower back...so I feel more pain in my left leg more than anything.

I can sympathize with you guys with bad knee's too...I have a bad left knee too. :crazy:

Thanks Guys...for the comments. :cool1:

It's starting to feel better with every day... :)

17. JK5

LOL...I like the "Wheelin' Chair" you're runnin'!!!! :p: :p:

Let me guess...you guys wanna use my tow rig, trailer and my trail rig. :crazy: :p: