Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does brand of car manuf. matter on Dana axles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TexasA&Mblazer, Jul 10, 2005.

1. TexasA&Mblazer

TexasA&Mblazer 1/2 ton status

I was looking at some D60 axles on ebay, at alot of them are from Ford, Dodge and so on. Does this matter? Would they still work for Blazers?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Fords axles are drivers side differential so yes it matters you need a passenger side drop..... Chevy or dodge, I don't know if the spring widths are the same for the dodge but if the price is good then knocking off a spring perch and rewelding it is nothing, the only other part you need is the passenger side u-bolt plate because it is different than a 1/2 ton axle

by the way what class are/were you?

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Do you got to A&M main campus? If so, you might want to check out our offroad club up there. Our website is www.tamor.org.

On to your question. The only D60's that will "bolt in" a blazer are any dana 60 from a 1 ton chevy, from a 78-79 Ford F350 or any passenger side drop Dodge D60. The chevy 60's are a 100% dirrect bolt in, easy as cake. The spring perches on the ford are the same width, but the differential is on the wrong side, so you would have to address the transfer case and drive-shaft to oilfilter clearance issues. On the dodge axles, their spring perches are I believe 1/2" wider than Chevy, but you can force the springs far enough apart to bolt it in. Later model Fords still had dana 60's but they wern't usable because of either balljoints, spring perch width, or differential location. The later model dodge front 60's are plain junk with all kinds of wierd axle disconnects and differentials that wont accept other gear ratios.

4. resurrected_jimmy

Gig em, when I moved out of my house in Bryan I left a chevy D 60 housing in the backyard, there's nothing in it but someone ought to go pick it up

5. afroman006

Uhhhh... address? ;) :D

6. TexasA&Mblazer

TexasA&Mblazer 1/2 ton status

Oh I live in San Antonio. My dad made this screenname. He is class of....'74 I believe. I'm goin into 10th grade this year and HOPEFULLY will be going to A&M when I graduate. If I dont get accepted, then I want to go to some branch of the armed forces. All the current students, how hard was it to get in? I go to a very large very competitive high school and I dont think that I will make top 10%...so automatically getting accepted wouldnt be possible...... :(

7. resurrected_jimmy

when I was there it wasn't too hard to get in...I didn't have a good GPA so I didn't get in on the top 10% I did have a good SAT....go in under a major that is not real strong like psychology....once you get onto the university you can switch majors/schools later...write a good bio about why they want you.....find one of your dad's friends who is "old army" to write one of your recomendations

afroman I lived on westwood main, I don't even remember the house number anymore.....you would go down villa maria across 2818, it will be your second left after the stop light....its been about three years since I've been to aggieland so I'm betting its long gone by now along with my '42 ford gpw frame...couldn't fit it all in the back of my truck when I cleared out

8. afroman006

I wasnt in the top 10% either but A&M has a special academic admit program. If you make a 30 on your ACT (I did) or a 1300 on the SAT and have a bunch of dual-credit courses (cant remember them right off hand but it shouldnt be too hard to find), you are accepted automatically. Only about 10% of the student body is accepted by review and most of them are minorities ("diversity..." :rolleyes: ) so I would shoot for the academic admit thing. If you are going into the corps though, admission might be easier, but I dont know anything about that. Good luck and its not too late to make the grades.

As far as the axle goes, I am home for the summer but once I get back up there in the fall I might have to go exploring. Thanks.