Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does driving an old, beat-up truck mean I'm poor? Poll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DougK20, Nov 19, 2003.

1. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Does driving an old, beat-up truck mean I\'m poor? Poll

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Off-roading is very expensive and we all have a wish list. Forget keeping up appearances, just curious how we're all doing. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1069259303DougK20">

Annual Household Income
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />$0-15,000
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />$15,000-$30,000
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />$30,000-$60,000
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />$60,000-$100,000
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="5" />$100,000+
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Re: Does driving an old, beat-up truck mean I\'m poor? Poll

You're not poor...just thrifty /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Some peope might think so, personally I couldn't care less. I just bought another K5 from 82 for $800, it's ugly but it runs good and I keep my head up high when I drive it. Nobody ever wrote a song about driving their new truck around, the reason is that new trucks are like cars and they suck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

New vehicles depreciate very rapidly. One awesome piece of advice I read many years ago said "Drive an old car and use the savings to live in a nice house". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I live in a nice house and drive around happy as can be in my old junk. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you don't become rich by spending all of it

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    New vehicles depreciate very rapidly. One awesome piece of advice I read many years ago said "Drive an old car and use the savings to live in a nice house". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I live in a nice house and drive around happy as can be in my old junk. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

there you go /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i have to agree, i think this way is the best, find a nice old good running beater and that works just fine /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif alot better than having some new piece of junk that hasd to go in for expensive repairs and that you cannot work on without equipment that only dealersand such have
    i believe in older reliable trucks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i think the past model designs looked better anyways, especially 67-72 era /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif drool /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My DD cost me $7k and is pretty dependable and not really a bad investment. I can't see spending three times that on a vehicle unless it's exactly what you want.

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

My DD, 89' Isuzu Trooper, is the best all around vehicle I've owned...so far. Good in the snow, 4 wheel disc, 4 banger for mileage, and at 187,000 miles it passed emissions this year no problem, yet again. Not many v-8's (older ones anywho) make it to 187,000 miles and still pass emissions the first try. So its not new, most people have nicer/newer cars/trucks than me, but I have no payment and it gets me around just fine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I live with my rents and go to school. I only work about 10 hours a week so I'm not makin too much dough! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Does driving an old, beat-up truck mean I'm poor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. It means you've got lots of money to spend on other things that would otherwise go to a large vehicle payment and expensive repairs.

I've got about 8 years left on my mortgage because we drive two older vehicles that have been paid off for years. The money I would have spent on a new car payment went directly onto my mortgage. I was also able to buy a rec property which never could have happened if I'd been dishing out $500+/month for a new truck.

It all boils down to this: some people NEED to drive a new vehicle because:

A: They either can't or don't want to deal with the quirks of driving an older rig or

B: wouldn't be caught dead driving an old junker.

Sux to be them.......either excuse is pathetic. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Not to get too philosophical here.....but it's not what you EARN, it's what you KEEP!!

A friend of mine told me that a long time ago, and it's SO true.....

Most people can spend every last dollar they earn, whether it's $15,000 or $150,000..... in most cases, your spending simply increases to eat up whatever money is available to you.

The trick to "living richly" is to make a deliberate effort to enjoy things (like old trucks) that cost you less and allow you to actually save your money.

(Ironically, I could have bought a REALLY nice new truck with what my "cheap" K5 has cost me now.....but that's a different issue.) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I drive a old beatup truck...and put all my cash into it which makes me poor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I dump almost everything I make into my K5, Getting up to around 15K. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

14. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i prefer to drive old and kinda rough looking for the following reasons

1. easy to work on
    2. dont care if it gets scratched
    3. dont notice when paint gets dinged by another car
    4. people with fancy cars seem to be scared when they see it

last but not least , something i told my ex wife was that
    i would rather spend $100 a month fixing or upgrading my
    trucks than pay $500 a month on a vehicle i would be too scared to drive. :thumb

oh and my annual income is $1,000,000.oo a year /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif :rotfl

15. DieselFreak

DieselFreak Registered Member

im studying so im not getting that much cash in the wallet...too bad my chvy is sold but if i bought a new one it definitely would be a blazer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and so on... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's some other math to ponder...

Just the sales tax on a new $53,000 Suburban, at 6%, is $3,180. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Many states have a vehicle tax or excise tax, that is based on the value of the vehicle. Around here that would add at least another $1,500 or so to the first year cost. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif (Plus it takes several years for that number to significantly decrease!)

Insurance costs more for new rigs.

I've bought a lot of vehicles over the years for less than the cost of taxes on a new one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to get too philosophical here.....but it's not what you EARN, it's what you KEEP!!

I agree !!! It's paid for, cheap to fix, cheap to insure.
    Not to mention, they are great for mergeing into NJ traffic.
    I love the look of disgust in a Lexus owners eyes...
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

I sold my 2000 Z71 so I could buy my K5 and its now my daily driver. I feel proud when I drive the K5, I enjoy it much much more /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

No, your not poor. Heck the guy driving the expensive vehicle doesnt have more money, just more debt /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

The masses are terribly niave when it comes to vehicles, values, and personal income.

My friend had a Porche 911 (bought it in Germany) had less than $16K in it. People (who didn't know him) acted like he was Bill Gates when he showed up. At the time he barely had a pot-to-piss-in /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have an '86 vette, bought it over 12 years ago for $14K. Now it's worth maybe $10K+ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

How many of us have more money invested in dated/dented rigs than the average mall cruiser? How many of this same group have spouses (girlfirends don't count) that wouldn't be caught dead driving our rigs? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    How many of us have more money invested in dated/dented rigs than the average mall cruiser? How many of this same group have spouses (girlfirends don't count) that wouldn't be caught dead driving our rigs? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got about $10k in mine. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

My girlfriend loves my truck though. She can't drive it because it's a stick, but she really wants me to get a K5 and she INSISTS that it be an auto so she can drive it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif