Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

does every K5 get to this point?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Feb 11, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the more I look at my rig the more I am feeling inclined to chop the top just behind the windshield, add a couple hundred feet of 1.75" tube and go full on truggy with it. Anyone else feeling the urge? I got my new Art Carr shifter and I was thinking how I wanted to mount it. Well, once i get the bender running I was already gonna add a crossmember to mount my seats to (think ORD) and it'd be easy to add some more tube from there for a dash (just tore out all the AC/heat junk, mojave style heater has been ordered)... and angle some down from the center of the dash for a center console/shifter mount... and...and... and!!! Many times peeps have posted pics of 2nd gen blazers with the tops chopped and I respond with a "dont do it!" but now I find myself wanting to do the same thing. lol. It just seems like it'd be a lot easier to do the interior cage if the top was chopped, a bikini top would be a snap at that point.

i dunno, what do you guys think... stay 2nd gen K5 style... or head into the wild blue yonder of full-on truggy-ness?

[​IMG]

j

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I dont think a truggy would be very road friendly but I want to do it so bad, just chop the top and custom make the dash out of tube and a full cage, maybe if your feeling energetic tube out front and rear narrowed and skin them with the old fenders. :D

3. FWP

FWP CRS

If the sheetmetal is still in good shape, and you like it as a driver, Buy a cheap POS and start over, hack it to hell if you want. Don't do what I did, I paid the stupid tax, and ruined a perfectly good K5 (which I made cherry BTW- then progessively trashed it). If I had it to over again, I would have built a Buggy to begin with. Oh well, learn as you go.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

why would a truggy not be road friendly? Road legal, yeah then the comment makes sense, but as for friendly, I think you mean driveable and a truggy won't be any less driveable than a K5 if not more due to reduced CG. I had planned on keeping my S10 blazer all pretty and body still intact but as soon as I got to school and realized how much time I will have to work on it, yeah thats out the window, TRUGGY!

5. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

damn that's sexy! ( no not you!) i am also torn with whta to do to the new truck. it was a flatbed when i bought it so no box. i was convinced on narrowing the front by 30 inches but, i am having second thoughts. i don't want tire rub issues but want the look of a chevy i also want to at least drive it on the street if need be lots of decisions to make!

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes, it is taking all of my will power to fight the urge off! :D :p: Just teasin' ya Jek. Good luck with what ever plan you go with. ;)

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just to clarify, my rig isn't used to drive around town or commute anymore, I have a little 94 ranger for that. As soon as I can afford it, I'm buying an old 2wd 3/4 ton or 1-ton chevy or furd and a trailer for the K5. Its only a matter of time before its off road only. Right now, when I wheel, I drive it to and from but that and the occassional cruise around town to keep things runnin right is about all it gets used.

My AC hasn't worked in years, I have no stereo and the doors/tailgate/top are off pretty much year-round these days. lol. Creature comforts aren't enough to make me wanna keep it full bodied and non-narrowed. ;)

j

8. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

if it is trail only gut that thing! i spose the only issue is once you do it can you drive anywhere but trails?:dunno:

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have 2 trucks , one to hack up because it was rusty , one to go truggy . I intend to keep the cleaner one capable , and cover the dings with sliders and bedside plastic , but mostly use it for dual purpose camping-wheeling/work .

I would keep one truck you can cruise around in sometimes , looking cool in , that can go anywhere . Only my opinion though . And besides , chicks dig it :D

10. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I want to see someone tube the outside to save the body and make it look really good. Hack if you must but it looks pretty nice to me like it is.
    If everyone cuts them up we won't have many K5's out there sooner or later.
    It takes a lot to keep a body intact. No matter what, it's your truck.

11. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

my 74 is getin :hack: just because its to rusty to restore:grin: (thats what i keep tellin myself)....

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

13. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Hmmmm I say go truggy!

I love and hate seeing all the work I put into it to make it like this....2.5 years..

[​IMG]

and now..:crazy:

[​IMG]

I dont know, I just laugh when I see the pics, but I love it the way it is now, and I love driving it everyday.

Who the hell cares what ya do to it, its yours! Just make sure you wheel it/drive it when its done! Nothing worse then seeing a 1/2 done and never finished project at a wrecking yard.:mad:

14. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

10 years from now you won't see any more K5's on the road, just junk yards full of broke down truggy's and sawzall cabs. Good thing I drive a pickup :grin:

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that is a nice k5

i say get your self a 1st get soft top go full convertable, and a cage inside but leave it full width. I ACTUALY like k5 but he thats me.

if you narrow it just do it a little and real subtle still have it look good! :waytogo:

16. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

lol his dont look like that any more............ :rotfl:

17. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Look at the 2003 Top Truck Challenge. There was a guy who did just that.

18. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

When your truck begins to looks like this you need to start tubing it out.

[​IMG]

19. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

The way your rig is set up is where I would like to be in the next 2 years. Eventually the whole truggy thing is the ultimate goal for me. For cost reasons I believe it has to evolve from one point to the next. A little here a little there with the overall goal in mind. I say go for it! Chop the top and truggy that bad boy:grin:

20. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Picture that red truck narrowed and you'll have an idea of where my DD k5 is going this month:ignore:

I am for the truggy. I have armor and no care for the body but have found both to be in the way lately. Narrrowed front with fenders (cut like the red rig) and a narrowed, bobbed & tubed rear end. Ya, I am gonna need another DD by april:grin: