Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does GM offer a stock replacement 350 for a '90 sub?(long)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Feb 9, 2004.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Does GM offer a stock replacement 350 for a \'90 sub?(long)

Im looking to get a new engine for the burb, And was looking mostly at what options i had. I realy like the power this truck used to have but now with 200,000 on the stock 350 its real real REAL tired. What i would like to do is just get a goodwrench short block(comes as assembled lowerend but no heads right?) And get my curent heads rebuilt, And put it back to gether with the gm shortblock and my rebuilt heads. The reason i wan to do this was i was looking in a chiltons service book and it listed the '90 sub 350 as having one of the highest horse TBI motors. This i assume is due in large part to a good head design(correct me if im wrong). Also what is the best cam i can put in it and still use the all factory TBI stuff. If anyone thinks this all sounds dumb or has a better idea for me please let me know as i am looking to have another motor tha will last another 200,000 miles and have at leastas much HP as stock. Sorry that was such a long and drawn out complicated Question but i just want to do this as right as possable(sp?) Thanks in advance for all your help. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: Does GM offer a stock replacement 350 for a \'90 sub?(long)

why not have your bottom end rebuilt .03 over and have the stock heads cleaned up, maybe decked a little to raise compression, ported and polished exhaust ports and ported intake ports, slightly larger valves.. and a mild 4x4 cam that makes power off idle to 5500 instead of the ones that come in around 1500, since you have a burb, you need grunt..

4. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

I got a real good Mr. Gasket short block ffrom NAPA. They offered 5 types, 1 being totally stock and 5 being drag,strip use only. I got the #2 for 1650.00 and core return.

5. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

Go to your local chev. dealer.
    Part number 12568758. 1597.84 plus tax and $100.00 core. I just put mine in. Good deal. Make sure you use longer intake bolts. Read the documentation. No big deal. My chev dealer delivered at no charge. I use my cherry picker an pulled it off crate and all.
    I think it is the best deal. My 89 Blazer had 225,000 when I did the swap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, compared to modern offerings those heads are not good. Probably some of the best *TBI* heads there were, but not good compared to other, newer ones.

But, since you are TBI, if you were happy with it the way it was, and you want to keep it as cheap as possible, I would stay stick with them.

Either you get aftermarket or Vortec heads from $500-1500, then pay for at least a new PROM. All adds up pretty quick.

7. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Cool thanks for the tips guys /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

8. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Does GM offer just the shortblock? I want to put in a new motor but want performance heads /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif