Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does Intake Splash Guard Rob Horses

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ditchdigger, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Registered Member

I've thought alot about cutting off that intake splash guards front cover next to the Radiator housing to get direct air inlet
    minus would be water but wouldn't it have to be serious water trekin', looking at other vehicle intakes it shouldn't be
    a problem in a Blizzard or heavy rain I doubt I would ever
    go through deep water and i'm sure if it had any effect
    it would be at highway speeds?
    anyone out there tried this or thinking about it?

It it ain't intimidating / it ain't a Chevy!

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

It doesn't take too much water to splash up there though, I've had water get sucked up there on the street on a really rainy night. I'd say leave it on

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You could cut some holes on the bottom of the snorkel so if water did get in there it could get out easily. My neighbor took his off of his Dakota and hasn't had any problems in rainstorms and such

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune time." [​IMG]

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My 89's was connected to a large piece of plastic that looked like a funnel with a one way check valve at the bottom. Any water that got in would drain out the bottom. My 87 does not have this. So 88 or 89 was the first year for this.

5. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

My '91 has that snorkel looking thing & call me crazy but that check valve looks restrictive to me. But, I'm not an auto engineer & I've got plenty of HP so I'm not going to tempt fate & mess w/ it.

[​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 & '91 K5</font color=red>
    Forever missing Dale Earnhardt, who drove over more Fords than we could ever dream of