Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does it ever stop!!! UPDATE: Bought new springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lance, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Last night I pulled apart my rear leaf packs to clean and paint before I put on my zero rates. This was all I had left before hanging my new axles. Anyways I was trying to slip the intermediate leaves out of one end when I heard a clanging sound. I looked down to see half of a leaf spring on the ground.

[​IMG]

Why me?!! I haven't driven the truck since early August and I was almost finished and then this happens! Oh well, better in the garage than on the road. I am afraid my wife is right, this truck really is the neverending story.

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Does it ever stop!!!

Hey, now you have the perfect excuse to upgrade to 57" ford springs! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Same thing happened to me but I used the opportunity to go with a sprung lift, rather than a blocked one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It was the same price as new springs in a stock height anyways. The worst part was waiting a week for the springs to come in!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is the exact leaf that broke in my rear spring pack...my fix was the 57" ford springs. If you're interested the write up is in the bloody knuckle. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

5. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Hey Birmingham, that's the way it goes. Always expect the unexpected with these old trucks. It happens to me every time. The first thing I did for my truck when I got it was replace all four springs. The springs take a beating and after 20 years or so, they just give out. You can get a pair of new rear springs for around $160.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, same thing happened to me, except it was all but one leaf broken.

And yes, with mine it's always something. Altho some sage advisor (Rene I think) said that the number of parts in our rigs are finite, so theoretically there's an end. I'm hoping his theory is right. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

the write up is also on borrego's web site. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif for us bloobies that can't see the bloody knuckle. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif lol. later.

jacob

8. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Well thanks to your and Mr.Chevy 4x4's (Mike) encouragement, I purhased a set of 57" Ford Springs from a local bone yard yesterday for $55. Took one set apart last night and got them cleaned up and partially painted. Need new UHMV (?) plates and bushings, hope to get those today.

I read your write-up on the swap before but I will warn you be prepared for some questions. Gonna check out ORD's site for info on this swap since I already have and installed a set of their shackle flips.

Couple of quick questions to get started with, in the interest of saving time will a machine shop press out my old bushings and drill my spring pack? What would be a fair price for this work? I know I could do it myself but, since I don't have a drill bit sharpener and I want this done before Thanksgiving, I would probably end up spending twice as much on the bits and wasting a ton of time.

Second question, I was flipping through my SUmmit catalog last night and came across a set of "lowering" shackles for a 2wd truck. These would be longer than the stock 4wd shackles so I would gain a little lift in the flip situation right? What, if any, other benefits from using a longer shackle?

Thanks in advance,

Lance

9. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Couple of quick questions to get started with, in the interest of saving time will a machine shop press out my old bushings and drill my spring pack? What would be a fair price for this work? I know I could do it myself but, since I don't have a drill bit sharpener and I want this done before Thanksgiving, I would probably end up spending twice as much on the bits and wasting a ton of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pressing the old bushings out is no big deal and shouldn't cost much to have done. I'd go with new rubber bushings over poly though. I believe that rubber bushings are better suited to the job than poly.

To relocate the hole there are a few options. I agree the drilling was no fun...but you could add a zero rate from ORD or A-tron that has a built in offset to get the axle where it should be without any drilling at all. Probably less expensive than paying someone to drill for you and you don't have an extra hole in the spring.

The lowering shackles are 7 or 8 inches long IIRC. Stock is about 4...so the shackle would gain you over 1.5" of lift and would be too long IMO. I used longer shackles to lower the effective spring rate and gain a little height. It does ride very soft.

I think with an ORD flip bracket a stock length shackle could be used without any trouble. My other reason was I retained the stock bracket and cut the bottom out of it. This left a finite window for the shackle to swing through...the spring itself changes length by almost 6" from full droop to full stuff and my stock length shackle would have hit the edge of the hole I cut. By lengthening my shackle I got the range of motion I needed.

Rene

10. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I already have some zero rates but I have some concerns using them with this application.

Any opinions or ideas of possible drawbacks? Does the added leverage of the zero rate with the softer springs significantly increase spring wrap and / or potential for breaking / bending springs?

BTW, for the lurkers, the Ford use 7/16 spring eye bolts, my truck has 3/8" spring eye bolts which also matches the ORD zero rates. So it appears that at least a limited amount of drilling will be required regardless.

11. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Lance,

If you have already installed your ORD shackle flip you will need to remove them and swap sides to move the mount towards the rear. This will reduce the need for longer shackles and improve the angle.

Mike

12. tRustyK5

Consider axle wrap a given even with no zero rate. I don't even have shims and I have axle wrap...under hard acceleration and hard braking. I'm working on installing A-trons anti wrap proto-type right now. This falls under the "Does it ever end" subject line...

Here's how it goes for me. Broken spring, swap in 57's, install anti wrap bar (in progress) put rear shocks through bed and source some 14" DT8000's. Tub rear by 3" on each side and open up wheelwells with sawzall. Fine tune 'stuff' with bumpstops.

Amazing how one broken spring can lead to soooooo much work!/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rene

13. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I took off the shackle flip brackets last night, thank goodness I hadn't put the gas tank back in place. I was already aware I would have to switch sides with the brackets but there seems to be no consistency in opinions on whether you also have to move the brackets back from their "stock" location. Any insight on this, I know things vary from truck to truck but someone has to know whether you can merely swap sides with these brackets. I searched the ORD forum this morning before our internet service went out at work and couldn't find a clear answer, any ideas?

I know you had the rear lift springs when I came to pick up the axles? Did you take those out to do the 57" spring swap? If so, did you use the ORD brackets or what did you use?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for the advice and help.

Lance

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You will need a 5 1/2" - 6" shackle to really get the flex out of those 57's. This assumes reusing the stock mounting holes and reversing the ord hangers. The stock 4" shackle could be used if you mount the shackle hangers back between 1 1/2" to 2 " but the shackle would be the limiting factor in droop before the spring would. Those summit lowering shackles are a little flimsy.

15. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, I clamped the shackle hangers up last night and took some measurements. You're right it looks like about 2" back with the ORD hangers is the right combo, at least on my truck.

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thought you could use a secondary reference as well. I just swapped on some new 6" shackles today and took some pics of the shackle cycling from rest to most of the droop (shocks still the limiting factor). My bracket mounts the shackle at a 1" offset (to the rear in this case) on the factory mount. Keep this in mind when comparing as I'm mounted to the factory hanger in the stock position.

At rest:
    [​IMG]

Drooped:
    [​IMG]

With more shackle length and shock travel, you could take this just a little further, but not much unless you used something like this for your shackle:

[​IMG]

17. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

That is truly awesome! My shocks and slip yoke drive shaft will be limiting factor until I can save up some more pennies. I like that shackle, it sorta resembles the "Revolver" shackle. Is that some of your handywork? Can you tell me some more about it? How would it work in my application?

Thanks for all the help, it has been very handy.

BTW, Before I reach the point of no return, my shackle at rest should have a slightly raked (to the rear) appearance right.

18. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The 57's really like about a 45 degree shackle angle (top forward, bottom to the rear) on a blazer because they sit relatively flat at rest. If your truck is light in the back and the 57's retain a lot of arch at rest, you will want to reduce that angle toward straight up and down to allow the spring to lengthen as it flatens out without overextending your shackle.

That shackle is a toy of mine for making RTI ramps look like speed bumps. It added 10" to my articulated wheel droop (without shocks!). I'm adding a heavy return spring and a pin lockout mechanism for street use so I can run it all the time. It is easier to implement on stock setups where the spring eye is mounted directly below the shackle hanger as opposed to having the spring eye mounted back as I do, but its fun just the same!