Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does it matter I got the non-emission fuel pump?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Mar 31, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I recently had to replace my fuel pump and the guys gave me the wrong one at the part store with only 2 lines coming out of it, when my old one had 3. I guess the 3rd one is for re-circulation of fumes? well anyway, i used it and just tied the 3rd line out of the way. Is this going to affect fuel economy? or anything else. I just figured it will blow the fumes under the truck. Thanks

2. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

its missing the vapor return line.
    i didnt think it was that important when i swapped mine, but i got some nasty vapor lock when it got hot out in the summer, like anything over 90 and it'd run like crap, when
    it got near 100 it wouldnt move...

you could see little bubbles coming up through the clear inline fuel filter, and as soon as i'd let off the gas, it'd stall...

granted my truck tends to run a little on the warm side, cheap headers keep it warm in the bay..

you can run without it, but if you start having vapor lock, you'll know what to change out..

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have to pass a smog check they will fail you if it isn't hooked up.

4. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

My truck doesn't have emission testing, so im not worried about that. What does vapor lock feel like? cause just the other day my truck felt like it was running out of gas coming up a couple hills, even on a straight away. I would just lose all power. Does that sound like vapor lock? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Vapor lock occurs when the fuel boils and develops an air bubble in the stream of fuel not allowing it to move correctly therefor fuel starvation occurs making it not run. Generally until the fuel cools down and the air bubble works its way out the vehicle either will not run or runs very poorly.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its a return to tank

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Never heard of a problem with it, but thats a POTENTIAL souce of an explosion/fire, since that *is* hooked up to the gas tank.