Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does JB WELD really work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Mar 24, 2003.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

never tried it, and need a cheap fix since my burb blew up to get the k5 on the road fast.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've used it a few times and it does work pretty good. Had to use a grinder to get it off.

Pig Putty works good too.

3. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

I also have used it a few times... Works great for little things like a small crack in an intake, etc. I imagine its uses are endless.

4. uglychevyZZ4

cool, i need to fix a pinhole in the blazer radiator ( not one of my brighter moments ) to get it going since the burban engine is now toast /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif will it work for that?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Can't you just swap radiators ???? Put the good one from the burb into the K5 for the time being ???

6. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It should work for that. I used Magnum Steel it fix a pin hole in my radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]
    Can't you just swap radiators ???? Put the good one from the burb into the K5 for the time being ???

[/ QUOTE ]
    nah, sounds like a pain, besides, it is a tad too small, it is a 2 row, 383 needs the fat 3 row /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif it was a thought though for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

You got a rebel flag under your name and you never used JBweld? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It works good and Im guessing it will work but just let it dry good and dont you the fast trying JBweld /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In that case, do it right and soder your 3 row radiator. It's not that hard to do.

10. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

It kept my truck going for about 5 months after my t-case threw the chain and nearly knocked a chunk out of the case. I cleaned it good with some laquer thinner and used the Kwik stuff, and it does dry quick. It held fine till I swapped it out with the 205. I also used it on my intake after I stripped out the carb bolts.

11. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

I used it on and old datsoon truck I had the thing kept blowing the headgasket out at the end of #4 cyl.There was a real low spot I just bilt it up and set over night and ground it down and touched it up with a file and drove the s**t out of it and was still going when I sold it(to buy my blazer) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif mike

12. mirage

mirage Registered Member

I was driving an old ford of a friends one day, and some idiot owner before had taken out the distributor and dropped the gear down into the pan. Anyway, while bombin out in the woods the crank picked it up somehow (likely it bounced and the crank just pushed it) and knocked a hole in the side of the block the size of a silver dollar. Anyway, cleaned it up and JB welded it, he's never had a problem with it since! JB Weld rocks! I've also used it for all sorts of other projects and haven't had a problem with the Kwick either. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

versa chem and permatex both make a sealant/puddy/apoxy just for radiators.

depending on where the problem area is you can use silver solder (powder)and bars leak(liquid)in the radiator.

-Jeremy

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

A friend' dad ran over a screwdriver a year or so ago and it punched a hole in hi aluminum rim, which was discontinued...payed me $20 and I JB Welded it up and sent it back, no problems so far

15. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I poked a hole through a gastank once. I dropped the tank, JB Welded the hole and repainted the tank and never had a problem again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I swear by the stuff!

16. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... my burb blew up...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif What happened to the burb???

Give me a call if you need a hand.

17. uglychevyZZ4

goober, see other thread in garage /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

18. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Rebuilt Duece 'n halfs (M35A3s) also known as Extended service Program (ESP), use JB Weld to hold the air collar on the axles. The air collar supplies air for the CTIS (Central Tire Inflation system). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chock full of useless information /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I've had both success and failure with JB weld. most of the failures were in high stress area's where there were several directions of shear and torque applied to the seam. other then that, after some of the stuff we fixed on my friends stupid BMW, I'm pretty sure the JB stands for `Junk Bimmer Weld'

-Rich

20. 77k5bogger

77k5bogger Registered Member

I used the permetex stuff on my radiator and it works really good. Jb weld is awesome, always have a tube in my truck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif