Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does life have to be about something?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Dec 30, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Just sitting here thinking about my life and where I am and where I'm going. Thats pretty much all I do anymore, I'm 18 and everyone says I don't need to be worrying about where I'm gonna be in 10 years or figuring out what i want to do with my life but it feels like everyone around me has decided, going to school, doing things, working and looking down on me cause all I do is work a cash register at a stupid gas station. I'm sitting here thinking and I realize that my life is my truggy. I spend all my time, thinking about it, working to get money for it, or working on it. I really don't do anything else. I drive to work or to get a bite to eat then come home. Haven't gone out with friends in well over 3 months. Don't even know where any of my friends are or what they are doing anymore. whatever I'm just complaining about my life. I really want to do something with ti, change something but everytime I get close to making a descision I realize a million reasons to not do it.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

life is about something.. you'll figure it out.. im only 18 myself, i turn wrenches for a living.. hard work, but i love it and i dont think id want to do much of anything else..ive had job offers from 2 other shops in town that want me to come work for them.. you'll figure something out.. i used to go out with my friends all the time, that died off for a while, then i got my chevrolet and i used to go out and play a lot in it..now i have the gf and all i do is spend time with her, and my life has never been so great.. and THAT is what MY LIFE is all about.. you will find the something that makes everything else seem worthwhile.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you're 18. I'll be 48 this year and I don't know what i want to do when I grow up. But I'll tell you what I've learned so far.

This planet is a big playground, so you might as well use it as such. Have fun but don't do things to people or animals that you wouldn't want to have happen to you. Sometimes helping people is the most fun one can have. If you're depressed, go help somebody.

Do whatever makes you happy. If that's the truck, then do that. When it doesn't make you happy, find something else that does and do that. Like help somebody. Or sky dive. Or hitch a ride to Alaska in the summer. At some point in the game, you'll have to work out how you'll pay for your retirement, health care, kids college, etc. But there's a lot of time for that.

Live every day like it was your last and so that you won't have any regrets. Have adventures! Have fun! That's what you need to do at 18. And at 47. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Live every day like it was your last and so that you won't have any regrets. Have adventures! Have fun! That's what you need to do at 18. :

[/ QUOTE ]

i tried using that excuse when i purposely bombed my 10 bolt rear.. didnt fly too well with anyone LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Well, I didn't say other people wouldn't have regrets... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

maybe thats my problem, I don't know, I went to louisiana to visit a friend and everyone felt that was my, "living life up and relaxing" thing. I was gone a week and it sucked. I live everyday like its my last but all that leads me to is my tattoos and other body mods cause I don't care how it will be in 20 years. Depression, well thats why I have meds... The only things in life I've found I really enjoy are, sleds and trucks, and in the end I can't afford to do either right now. The truck just makes me sad and angry and I don't have a sled nor can I anywhere near afford to buy one. I see people everyday who all they do with their lives is sit in the bar and smoke, they buy cigarettes from me. they stink, they have bad teeth and i completely see myself as one of them in 30 years.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats all you're complaining about? It gets worse sooner or later. All your friends go their separate ways and you lose touch with them. When you do meet up with them again, nobody is ever the same again as they once were. Life has a tendency to change people. Getting married, having kids, owning a home, etc. etc. Just take it easy as you are real young and have a lot of time left. Think about what you would like to see yourself doing 10 years from now. Aim for that goal and don't let anything get in your way. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I really don't do anything else. I drive to work or to get a bite to eat then come home. Haven't gone out with friends in well over 3 months. Don't even know where any of my friends are or what they are doing anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to be the first to break it to you, but life is kind of like that, especially when you're starting out. Shite, you basically described my life right now because I'm a young dad with two kids, a mortgage, blah-blah-blah.

The transformation from "happy-go-lucky high school party boy" to "man who works for a living" is NOT an easy transition to make. The guy who's gonna succeed is the one that realizes that the point you're at in life is just another obstacle to overcome. Being young and broke sucks, but hard work and determination will get you through it.

The way I broke out of the "box" you're in was to set realistic goals for myself and work my butt off to get them. Was it hard? YES!! Did I have to make sacrifices in order to achieve these goals? DAMN RIGHT!!! Keep in mind that success is a personal thing and that everyone's goals are different, but unless you're willing to move on and get your butt in gear you're doomed to stay stuck in the same old rut.

Happiness and success always comes with a pricetag, brother. Set your goals and do what you must to make them a reality. Sorry, there's no easy way around it.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Dude, [darn] everyone else...............

Do what you want.......................

You're young, don't know what you want to do or anything. Maybe sign up for a couple three years in a uniform service adn maybe travel the world, maybe get a cool job skill and blow some crap up while you are at it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Bubba, how come you never tell someone to be a doctor or an engineer or a bartender or something. It's always with the 'Travel in the military and blow crap up!' /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But other than that, ya, what everyone else said. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bubba, how come you never tell someone to be a doctor or an engineer or a bartender or something. It's always with the 'Travel in the military and blow crap up!' /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But other than that, ya, what everyone else said. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doctor-Cause I doubt there are any good ole country doctors like ole Doc Wheeler around these days. Most of them seem to be egomaniacal egg farts who think they are better than what they really are, or from Asia.

Engineers-Braniacal anal retentive fawks who have piss poor skills at describing something because for the folk like me, it takes a [darn] picture to decipher what they said.

Bartender-Well, I'm not big on the hours, but we be talking alcohol and honeys and that is ding, ding, a good choice. But damn, it takes a lot of brain power to remember all those drinks like Moscow Blow Job and the Alabama Jammer Slammer Mama. But bartender is cool.

In reality though, it should be every freedom loving American's duty to repay some of the sacrifice in years past for what they have now. Not only that, if you look around, you can get job skill training, and get paid for it. There's the cool uniforms, the women tend to be total sluts, big guns, cool vehicles, lots of vacation time, some good chances at promotion so in two years time, a person can be sitting on their ass barking orders and last but not least, the travel aspect. I mean hell, I got to visit the Patton Museum not once, but twice. Saw a little bit of the East Coast, got to see a good part of Hawaii. Most people get to go to foreign lands and all the while getting paid for it. Can't hardly beat that in the civilian world.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    The only things in life I've found I really enjoy are, sleds and trucks

[/ QUOTE ] Are you talking about snowmobiles? I have heard some people call them sleds before. If you are I am into snowmobiles big time and love BSing about them almost as much as trucks. My dad and I have a few machines and PM me if you wan't to BS about snowmobile stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

dude.... this could get long, and i may ramble a bit and complain a bit more.

my life used to be all work and play. fairly balanced. pay was alright. then it became all play. in the Corps i worked as little as possible and then went to my truck as much as possible. got married and bam 3 years later im getting a divorce. i have realized a lot in the past few months. selling the house, bought a tow rig, moving back to california, going overseas for the first time in my almost 6 years in the corps, getting morte done on my truck. having fun when i want doing what i want.
    im only 23. i have less than 3 years left in the Corps. i have no clue what i will be doing in 3 years. but im making a few sets of "plans for life in 3 years" and all of my options are layed out.

ok, at 18 i started going grey, this is why. im a fiarly laid back dont give a fuk about anything big care bout the lil stupid crap. the best advice i can give you from living like this is simple advice. do wahtever you want to do. take advice as sugestions and move on with it in a way you want. if you feel YOU are happy, then keep doing it. otherwise change it.
    just have fun. life is about having fun, and that is it. some people just have to work more for money to pay for thier expensive hobbies and waht not.
    Grant

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats all you're complaining about? It gets worse sooner or later. All your friends go their separate ways and you lose touch with them. When you do meet up with them again, nobody is ever the same again as they once were. Life has a tendency to change people. Getting married, having kids, owning a home, etc. etc. Just take it easy as you are real young and have a lot of time left. Think about what you would like to see yourself doing 10 years from now. Aim for that goal and don't let anything get in your way. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard that! I'm 25 and I'm seeing the friends disappearing trick right now. Been out of school (college) for 4 years. Worked 4 different jobs, currently unemployeed, single and broke, indebt and sinking in school loans and STILL living at home.
    My friends from school go as such... friend 1. he works all the time and is only into making money and "TALKING" about finding a girl to get laid... friend 2. married 3 years haven't seen him much over that time, just had his first kid and dont expect to see him much for about another 18-20 years... friend 3. joined the air force and moved to germany and friend 4. I just haven't talked to him in a long long time....
    Other than the few people I talk to from here thats about all the contacts I have anymore. I dont have local friends (close friends I mean...), my close friends above live an hour or better away and have "LIVES" outside our original group now and I feel like I'm left behind int he game of life.
    Thats why I'm glad I found this site, gives me something to do a couple hours a day, I get to see what other people are up too, show off my junk and BS with people. All I live for anymore is hanging out with the friends I can, getting my trucks running so I can go beat up the trails with people, and trying to stay afloat on bills.

Eventually yeah, a girl, a house, kids (maybe /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) and hopefully I still have time left for the trucks /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Does life have to be about something?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I would say life could be about nothing... It worked for the Seinfeld show /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Get an education...start by taking just one class in Something...ideas come from a stimulated mind...

Military...lots of educational opportunities there...it's a great place to start, but one hell of a place to end up...if you go 3 yrs active in a Tech MOS, you'll have a good base of experience, maturity, and education to build on...

it is said that "Life is what happens while you're making other plans"...

the journey starts with One step...doesn't matter, just get off'n yer butt and take one in some direction...you'll be amazed at the end of 10 years where you'll wind up if you just keep putting one foot in front of the other and follow your nose...

What a long strange trip it's been....... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I use to think the same thing, 15 years ago. I was working at AutoZone during my senior year of high school and loved working on cars. Thought about going to auto mechanics school but then decided I would rather do it for fun and not as a job. Not long after that I talked the district manager of autozone he could shove his stores up his ass and left. Went without a job for 6 months. Checked out the Air Force and decided it was for me. So here I am 15 years later. Now I have just under 5 years left before I can retire and am wondering what the heck I will do when I get out /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I've went back home several times only to find most of my friends still working small deadend job struggling to get by. A few got hired by the steel mill and make good money but stress every year when it's time to renew their contract with threats or actual layoffs.
    For me, I wouldn't change anything but everyone is different. Some people aren't cut out for the military (no it's not all running and pushups /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) Explore your options, you'll figure it out eventually /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif