Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does lift = bad when it comes to towing? Yes??

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Yohinan, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

I am looking into purchasing a tow rig, something along the lines of a 2001/2002 or later Chevy 2500 HD. What I am wondering is should I stay away from lifting my truck at all if I want to tow some heavy weights with it, ie 35' boat trailer, 30' flatbed trailer etc...? If I am ok with lifting it what is the max lift and tire size I can go with before I start running into trouble? I am thinking I should stay away from the lift altogether and use another truck as my toy. Am I overreacting here or just being smart by useing the old brain? What are your suggestions and recommendations? Thanks again for the help. John

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I tow a 28' travel trailer with my burb and it has 6" lift. I don't have any problems with it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

FWIW, I tow a 30 ft. gooseneck which weighs 12-13K lbs. with my crew cab, and it is lifted 4". No noticeable effect on towing performance since the lift.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got a '02 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Crew 4x4 short box. No lift, not even "cranking" the bars, and I run 33" Bridgestone ATs. Taller tires were somewhat for looks (as opposed to the skateboard looking stock tires) but also for improved clearance and footprint since I am sometimes "off road" in it (camp sites, washed out dirt roads, etc.). Honestly, a little lift probably wouldn't hurt much, but it *will* make a difference. How could a higher CoG and more unsprung mass plus leverage against the suspension and brakes not make a difference? The more you lift and bigger the tire, the worse the consequences. If I “get into trouble” towing, I want every advantage I can get. Not worth it to me for an IFS lift. I don't "wheel" my tow rig and lifting it is just a lot more expense and stress on lots of parts (specifically the IFS).

And honestly, I think most of the IFS lifts look sorta silly anyway. Once in a while you see one that gets moderate use, but 99% of them are pure posers. All that money to make something weaker, slower, drives worse, less comfortable, and add more maintenance… Compromises for function that matters more to a person is one thing, but giving up that much for looks I simply never understood. Just my opinion.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Agreed.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I totally agree with Baddog.
    And this is just my opinion as well. I don't like the stock size tire that comes with my truck, so when they wear, I may try the next size up (285s) or something.
    But as for lifting, I just think it's stupid to do on a tow rig. Not only are you raising the COG and putting more stress than needed on some parts, but you're hurting on fuel economy as well.
    Again, just my personal opinion.
    Boss

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Agreed.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, actually my friend went as far as to lower his for more stability.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

raising a cog effects braking alot more than you think. transfer of weight decreases available stopping ability

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I personally love the racing pickups- They are not really lifted, but the have super duper travel. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Agreed.
    I have a 4" lift on my daily driver/tow rig. I do like it but it is the last tow rig or daily driver I will lift.
    Wear and tear has increased, gas milage has decreased, hauling stability has decreased so on and so forth.

Save the lift kits and overly large tires for the rig behind the tow rig. They really are more fun on the dedicated four wheeler. Now that I have my buggy I cringe at taking my truck on trails.

I still do like my lift on my truck though.

11. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Nice avatar. Looks familiar. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Something else to remember is that if you use a taller tire after the installation of a lift, the wheel will want to "walk" from side-to-side inside the tire more than it would with a shorter tire which equals less stability. I don't use lift blocks on the rear of a tow vehicle. It seems like that when going around turns or curves that the weight of the trailer would put forces on the rear suspension similar to the forces put on a front suspension when turning (NO lift blocks on front leaf sprung vehicles), making it easy to lose a lift block.

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Good points...

14. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

I have an F350 Superduty (regular cab long bed) 4x4 that's only lifted 1" in the rear.
    The front is lifted 4.5" however.

It tows great and still handles a load in the bed without looking "cali" style.
    -T

15. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

i have a rear shackle flip and that gets squirrly with qa large heavy trailer at about 65mph... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I have a 5" lift on my cummins dodge with 37" tires and haul my 12000 pound enclosed trailer hauling my truggy and it handles and tows better than it did stock.

but the rear suspension is all airbags so the truck wont even squat an inch.

a lift wont hurt your towing capabilities but if its not set up for towing meaning it sags in the rear and lightens up the front it will wander and sway all over.

I had a lift on my superdoodie and towed the same load and it SUCKED the power was good because of all the mods but it towed like crap.
    the dodge is twice the tow rig it was because it is set up correctly /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif