Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does lift kit size + new tire radius= new overall height?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Dec 3, 2000.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

This may sound stupid but I'm trying to figure out if my rig will fit in the garage after I lift it. At present I have no lift and 31" tires. I was thinking a 6" T.C. spring lift w/ 35" tires. So if the new tires are 4" taller (2" more radius) and the advertised lift is 6", am I looking at a 8 inch higher roofline? I'm just trying to see if my logic is correct on this. I like to be able to work on my rig inside during the winter. Thanks.

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

actually the tires only give half the amount and some tires are much smaller than listed 33,s only 32"1/4 etc

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Lift kit (approx) plus loaded radius of new tires. If a 35" tire's true diameter is 34" the loaded radius would probably be closer to 16" because of the weight of the truck.
    New lifts vary quite a bit. Your old springs may also be sagged from age and use. My Jimmy is 6'8" to the top of the roof with a 4" lift and 35" General Grabbers. The tires have a loaded radius of 16". True diameter of 33 3/4".
    Hope that helps.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Ya that helps, looks like I might make it. Thanks.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Re: Does lift kit size new tire radius= new overall height?

Yeah, it's simple. Just pull the truck partway into the garage to the point where you have the least clearance between the roof and the door. Then mesure that clearance. To figure out the change of clearance, add the height of the lift kit 1/2 the difference in tire size.

I took off the seal from the top of my garage door frame and mounted it to the garage door instead. This gave me one more inch of clearance and still made a good seal on the door.

If you're out of room, another option is to air your tires down to about 10psi.

The funniest thing is when people don't figure this out ahead of time, install the lift in their garage and then can't get the truck out!

"They tell me that you can make it to work without big tires. I'm still not convinced."

6. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Re: Does lift kit size new tire radius= new overall height?

Shum1, you are exactly right in your calculations, however, as Rene pointed out, your 31's aren't really 31" and the 35's won't be 35". Also, if you have been following several recent posts on lifts, the numbers are all over the place. A 6 inch lift may not raise the truck 6". Could be more or less. Depends on the tolerance on the new springs, the condition of your old springs, busings, truck weight, even how tight the shackles are, and might even be affected by the sway bar. It's really hard to tell until you get it all in place.