Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

does my landlord have the right...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Nov 8, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

to say i can't weld in the garage (or on the property for that matter)? that seems like a step beyond what he should be able to control. maybe? says he doesn't like the idea of having "open flame" in the garage. :confused:

2. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Does it say "No welding" in the lease? If not...fuc! him. Or just don't do it when he's around....

3. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Does he/she/it own the property? Or is he/she/it a property manager?
    You can be a harda$$ and push the issue, but I look at it from his/her/its point of view. He/she/it doesn't have to renew your lease when it comes time. And how much do you like living there?

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Why does our world have to be filled with some many A-holes always trying to ruin our fun? It never ends does it? I'm amazed. Don't know what to tell you Colby. It would piss me off, but yeah, you're kinda screwed if you like living there. I'm gonna have to go to bed slightly irritated now though.

5. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

if it is attached to the home, yes probally.he has the arguement that its for vehicle storage not major work, if it is dettached from the home, probally not, you have the arguement of it being a work structure. it also depends on what you signed with him,...talk to an attorney that has a free initial consultation.

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Yep, you are definately in the right unless it's stated in the lease or possibly you are running a welding business in the garage.

Then again it's a pick your fights thing. He can get tough as well.

So, you have 2 options. Show him what you do and how safe you are. Taking the chance he'll still say no. Second is to go underground with it and try not to get caught. I don't know your landlord so it's your decision:(

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It depends. The lease controls unless its vague. Without reading it, I'm going with vague. They usually have a clause of some sort stating that you are leasing it to live in, not work in and a "dangerous activity" clause. If they decide to kick you out (here) all they have to do is file and tell a judge that you have violated the lease. You then have to defend and prove them wrong.

The second issue, as has been pointed out, is that if you give them any grief you might as well pack before the current lease runs out.

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

just tell him you were welding to fix your ride so you can go to work to pay his outrageous rent...

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Agreed, but in a nice way, too.

Just keep in mind that if the landlord ever needs something welded after breaking something and he knows/remembers Colby having a welder and decides to try and get "free" service from him, tell him "no" or charge him an outrageous service fee. Much like rent, he tries to screw you over, you return the favor. :wink1:

10. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bet you he will be sorry if he needs something welded after giving you chit. :rolleyes:

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Check with insurance companies. Look into a policy that covers the home, in case you do something that results in a fire. If that is doable, present that to the landlord. He may not have adequate insurance on the house, and that is why he is nervous.:confused:

12. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

he's a super cool guy - so i'm not angry with him. i don't own a welder, and don't know how to do it. i want to learn tho, and was talking to him about getting some electricity in the garage (it's not attatched to the house). apparently 220 requires permits and stuff. the rent he charges is incredibly reasonable, and i like living here. i was thinking of getting an extension cord and running it to the socket at the dryer, but he's uncomfortable with me running an extension cord for some reason - says they're unsafe. it's funny tho, b/c he bought us an electric mower and a 50' extension cord, but there's no outlets on the outside of the house (old house), so i'll have to get another extension cord and run it under doors and thru windows. :haha: i think i'll just do it with out his knowledge...

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had the same issue with my landlord 15 years ago. We had a talk about his fear of fire from welding. After some discussion, I agreed to purchase some fire extingishers. He was ok with it at that point.

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whatever you do, you need to make sure that if you do use an extension cord that it is of large enough wire to safely make the run and still handle the amperage that is required.

15. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Give me a break!! It's not worth it; dragging a liar (lawyer) over something like this.

'One must choose ones' battles wisely'.

16. 64suburban

64suburban Registered Member

If it's not in the lease, then he dosen't have a foot to stand on, and it's probably not in the lease, so weld away. But don't catch the place on fire!

17. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

maybe its different in oregon but here you wouldnt need a permit to pull a 220 volt circuit, id just put a welding blanket under whatever your welding so he doesnt see slag on the concrete

18. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Read post #3 :D !

19. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

on second thoght the attorney may not be such a good idea, because if he tells you that he does have the right to tell you that, and something happened there would be the argument that you knew better.
    and defintly make sure you have the right size wire for the amps that will be traveling and how far you are running it!
    and do like you said do it with out him knowing and get you one of those fire exthuisher that you fill with water and compressed air or a pump up sprayer full of water close by with the nozzle turned to spray a stream!

20. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Maybe its an oregon thing. I live in a manufactured home park. I own the home but i rent the land. I'm not even allowed to change my oil.
    As i am currently doing a 3/4 ton conversion in the driveway, i have already been fined twice. I haven't worked on anything in the driveway since, but sooner or later i need to put the 14 bolt under the rig. I did build a garage so i do 90% of my work where they cant see.
    My 7' door and 8' truck dont work together. But i'm pretty sure I'm going to put the truck on rims only and finsh in the garage.

Last fine i got was for major auto repairs, I told them it was major auto improvements, but i still got the fine :haha: