Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does my new job make financial sense?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Oct 23, 2006.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

New Job, No raise (no change in paycheck), fuel costs are now $400 MORE per month than before. That's just going by what I've put on one card, I was mixing and matching between bank accounts for a while before I locked one down as my only card to use for fuel.

On paper, going by 20 days a month, mapped commuting distance, getting 15mpg @ $2.40 a gallon, my normal fuel costs should be $172 a month. They are around $500 or so. The company is only picking up $80 a month. I think the company gas card's gonna get a lot more wear in it soon... Or the company car's gonna get a lot more mileage.

This "paying my dues" crap to get into the field is getting old quick. This month I actually needed a windfall to make mortgage.

Go buy stock in Ramen.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yikes. 15 mpg? buy a metro or somethin dude... 45+ mpg even when used/abused! My wife's Aveo has really cut gas costs for us quite a bit. We use it for everything except my short commute to the bus stop (we'd use it for that to, but the wife needs it!).

j

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I don't quite get it either. It's a little 4.3 blazer, and that's a hair below average economy for these trucks. I was expecting 20mpg minimum in thsi thing, it's lighter than our minivan and the minivan does 25mpg. It's turning out to be a crappy truck overall.

I do a lot of driving, but I need the cargo cap and in the winter will need 4wd. At this rate, I don't care how dumb the logo looks parked in front of my house, I'm ready to start taking the company vans home (Triton V8's, 8 mpg!!).

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Dude, If you want to move to VA shoot me a PM of how much you want and Ill talk to my IT gal, shes looking for someone.