Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

does my truck have a catalytic converter?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85chevy4x4, May 4, 2002.

1. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

I have a 1985 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. The exhaust system is rusted pretty bad. I need a new one. I called an exhaust shop and they said all vehicles after 1978 have cats. Is this true? I really don't want to run a cat. I'm wanting dual exhaust and don't want to spend an extra 300 bucks on cats. Does my truck have a cat?

2. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I don't think it does, if it is over 8600 GVW. Check your door, for the GVW rating plate.

3. 85chevy4x4

I just called another exhaust shop. They said anything after 1971 has to have a catalytic converter. They won't install a new exhaust system without it. How can I prove to them that I don't need one? Every place that I call says something different everytime.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well, my truck 87 3/4 ton 4x4 had cats from teh factory, we had a 1ton 86 dually 2wd, and it didnt, i am runnin 2 cats, 2 mufflers, and my cats were only like $59 a piece, they are some LITTLE ones like for a Honda or soemthing, i got em from jegs, w/ out air hookups, and they pass NC emissions, so just run some small @ss ones and it wont cost much in performance cuz they are REALLY SHORT, and dont have that much stuff in em. like i said htey were only like $59, when it stops rainingm aybe ill go take some pics of em tomorow or monday. ill look for a PN if u want it.

5. 85chevy4x4

I just called my chevy dealership and they said that I had one on my truck. So it looks like I'm going to need some cats. I will check out the ones in jegs unless I can find some place around here to install my exhaust without the cats. We don't have inspections here in kansas so I don't have to worry about it passing inspection.

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

we run a "gutted" cat on the race camaro which is basically just the case. i run dual pipes out of hooker headers on my K5. but, i also live in indiana where emissions are non-existent. Good luck on w/e u do.

NITRO

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You should have them put dual cats on, (same shop that won't do it with no cats) then after they are done and you have payed, tell them that what they have just done is just as illegal as putting exhaust on with no cat. I've got the link at work, if you were so inclined...kinda makes me mad that people that should be at least half a$$ "experts" don't even know the laws governing their trade.

BTW, as others have stated, it really depended on year/model whether it received cats or not. '75 was the first year for cats across the board in *passenger cars* if I'm not mistaken, but light trucks were a different matter, and varied for a long time based on GVW. Your tag on the core support will say catalyst or non-catalyst depending.

8. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

i run dual cats too