Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does my truck have A.I.R.??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5canyon, Nov 18, 2002.

1. 88k5canyon

88k5canyon Registered Member

Mine is an 88 TBI and I'm looking for headers and they ask if I have A.I.R. I'm pretty sure I do but how can I tell for sure?
    Anyone have any hints.
    Thanks
    David
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

there would be an air pump on the passenger side hooked up to the belt. and it would have air lines being ported into the exhaust manifolds.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Does it have little tubes going into the exhaust manifolds?

Another way you can check is down on the block below the alternator there will be a pump with a hose about the size of a heater hose coming out of it. That'd be a smog pump.

I found a half-assed picture from my 84. The system is a little different on your Blazer. If you look down below the alternator you can see a valve with two hoses coming out of it. One goes to the driver side and is behind the AC line. It goes to that shiney chrome thing that hooks to the pretty chrome tubes sticking into the exhaust manifolds. There's one on each side but the passenger side is too dark. You can see where the hose hooks to just below the oil fill cap.
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/newmotor-030402/oldmotor/5.jpg

Yeah, that's my old 305. I saved all the emissions baloney since it's all still good. Someone paid big bucks to have it replaced about five years ago.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

You can kind of see the air pump on the passengers side of the motor in this pic. its just to the right of the intake tube it has a rounded head and tubes running down the side of the motor. This is on my 87.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the air tube in the top front of the exhaust manifold
    [​IMG]