Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

does NAPA carry 3/8" inlet and outlet glass fuel filter ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Aug 8, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ghjlk

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I picked up mine from Napa, along with extra filters. Dont have a part number, and ive only had the motor in the truck for about ~350 miles, so i cant answer on longetivity either. But i did get it from napa.

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

If Napa has a section full of 'Spectre' brand engine bling, you'll find it there. They come with a few different ends, 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8, I think. You just screw the size you need into each end of the filter, and awaaaay you go!

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

im 99% sure our napa doesnt have that line, ive never seen it there, ever

hmm

im probably screwed, probably will not be able to find something liek glass filters around here

we just have have oreilly and auto zone and napa and thats it and they are very small stores and carry very little except for basic stock replacement stuff, no aftermarket stuff in stock, alot is special order, its hard to find/get parts here, 15k population town surrounded by cornfields and nothingness

thanks

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

glass filter housings + metallic engine = dumb idea

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

They have it, but its not "Spectre" brand...or not packaged as one anyways.

I have run the glass filter for years with no issues, and they usually have a plastic gaurd that would face towards the metallic engine. Mine was suspended in the air and the fuel line was zipped tied in place so that it couldn't bounce and hit anything.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i found a couple at auto zone, humm, come with crap plastic fittings though, so ill have to go get brass ones at napa, etc,
    are replaceable element ones, cylinders, glass, about 3" long maybe 4"

8. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I have one that you can have. It looks new...I took it off of my 350 and put on a edelbrock filter.
    Thanks
    Adam

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I saw a completely restored 72 pickup burn substantially (before they put out the fire) due to a glass fuel filter. I found out later that the unit was secure and away from "harms way", but aparently something either came up from the road or glanced off the fan and the filter took a direct hit going down the road at 50 mph. The engine was still running (fuel in the bowl and line) and the fuel pump still pumping and gas went everywhere, then it ignited.

I used to use one (as it was nice to take a quick glance and see how "dirty" it was). Now I just use a metal one and change it every year (probably more than I need to, but cheap insurance).

To each his own, and you can use one if you want, it's just not worth loosing my rig for....

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i was hoping to find one of those shorter smaller solid glass ones that you used to see around in the early 90s and before

not sure where ppl were getting those from,

well if theres a chance of the glass beign bustged then ill put heater core hose zip tied arond the glass then, thatll protect it from striking anything or being struck,.

til i find a better one
    cuz i have to have a filter... cuz i have none at all,

need something,,. cant be running without, but to date ive always run my vehicles with no filter at all.

thanks

11. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

Why go through all that trouble just buy a metal one this is a 4X4 not a show car

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hey wait these ones i got ARE spectre 2369 lol

13. Wahh12

Wahh12 Newbie

Those glass filters work great. I've got a lot of people I know running one that we got from Auto Zone and never heard of them breaking from a rock or anything like that. Auto Zone carries brass ends for them, but the plastic ones work well.

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cuz i know nothing about filters and such, i dont know how resistive they are or how much vloume they allow, or anything, i cant tell by picking one up and looking at it, i have NO clue at all..

gray area..

id liek to be able to SEE the fuel, see thaty its there and coming up to carb and everything, so that i know for sure.

you know.. ?

what do you guys run ? anyoen got part numbers ?

just normal 3/8" fitting nothing special inline fuel filters, preferably short length ones, napa part number ? oreilly part number? auto zone part number ?

thanks