Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

does "restore" really work????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Apr 13, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

does engine restore really work? my engine smokes when you rev it up, im just looking for a temp fix for a few months or so

2. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I would rather put thicker oil like 20-50. There is also a no-smoke oil additive available at kragen. Dont have any expierence with restore.

3. RustyMule

RustyMule Registered Member

Restore made my old, 4 cyl. jap-crap truck blow a head gasket. Just be aware that if it restores compression, the rest of the engine may not be up to speed and the next weakest link my fail. It turns into vicious circle after a while. Sometimes you should just leave it alone, but the final decision is up to you.

4. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

I put thicker oil in my 235,000 mile engine on someone's advice and started leaking more from the front and rear mains...........

5. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

When I went to thicker oil it actually stopped all my little leaks, oil to thick to get thru. I went from synthetic 5-30 to synthectic 20-50.

6. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

generally anything that "stops leaks" also tends to eventually stop fluids from going to were they are supposed to go.

I view them as last resort fixes to delay a rebuild or a junk yard wreckers hook.
    I have had very good results with LUCUS OIL PRODUCTS.
    Only tried the trans fluid myself, but I ran my last truck for over a year on that stuff. It did not shift out of first with out it.

7. azblazer69

azblazer69 Registered Member

You should be careful anytime you add stuff to your oil... Unless your just trying to delay the inevitable, i.e. trying to get a few more miles out of your beater... If I were to add something like restore to my engine, I would also only buy thick, cheap, oil to put in it as well. No need to spend big bucks on oil if your just gonna change its properties with an additive. That said I have used Restore, I put it into a '69 El Camino with over 250,000 miles on a tired a$$ 350... It did slow the smoking enough so I could stand to look in the rear view mirror long enough to save the bucks to rebuild it...

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Personally, I wouldn't run it. Back when I didn't know any better, I ran a can of it through my truck on my mechanic's advice. The motor has 140k on it, and still runs strong, but the Restore didn't do anything for me but give me a slowly developing rod knock. k20 was telling me about the time he poured a can of it out, that it changed colors as different layers of metallic particles came out.

Right now, I run Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Some will tell you that it's bad, not needed, etc, but in my experience, it quieted the motor and it seems to run smoother at all temperatures and rpms, so it's gotta be worth something.

Anyway, about that smoke, what color is it?

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All that engine restore stuff does is scuff the cylinder walls so the rings re-seat. Unfortunately, if it scuffs cylinder walls, it scuffs everything else too, such as bearings, camshafts etc. Doesn't sound like a good trade off to me....

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oil has everything you need in it, if engine is using the oil or smoking then its needing something it could just need new stem seals

you try that yet ?

if not then i would

get the umbrella ones for the intakes and just o ring ones for the exhausts, have to run o ring ones with the umbrellas on the intakes

i have done this to many old beater small blocks that were burnign oil and it totally cured them,
    the last one was an old million miles smoking '80 267 from a car,

it totally fixed it

however its got a main knock for a few seconds after startup, but runs good, and uses/burns zero oil now heh

so,,

good luck

11. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

what is the best way to go about replacing the seals?

12. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Get some valve cover gaskets, a valve spring compressor, a tool to hold the valves up and get it done!

The best option for holding up the valves in my opinion is a little tool that has the same threads as a spark plug on one side, and a quick connect to your air compressor on the other. You can then compress the air in the cylinder, which holds the valves up when you pull the springs off. The seals go on really easily as well, Slide / cut the old o-rings off, put the new ones on, put an umbrella type seal on overtop, put the valve spring back on, put the keepers in, and move onto the next valve. Took me about an hour and a half to do it on my GMC, and it totally elimated all the oil consumption along with the chevy salute every morning :)

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I would not use it..

I have tried "restore" in one of my motors--its in the scrap pile now!--same with a friend who used it in a nova with a motor with high oil consumption--it flattenned 3 cam lobes and started rapping a few days after it was added..It has copper,silver,and lead particles in it according to the side of the can!--I dont see how adding powdered metal to an engine would ever be good for it--when we drained the oil out of his nova,it looked like a can of aluminum paint was mixed in with it!...I would not reccomend it to my worst enemy!...it plugged several oil passages in the crank,and the rod bearings starved for oil..

The only oil additives I use and trust(and only in cases where I'm not planning on fixing the motor correctly) is Lucas Oil Treatment,Motor Medic,or STP--they all thicken the oil with petroleum based products,no metal or harmful ingredients...I've seen the Lucas stuff work miracles,both in the engine,and their transmission treatment...if oil is getting by the valve giudes due to bad seals,none of this stuff will help that much--might slow it down some,but fixing the seals or having the valve guides replaced are the real cure--smoking from worn rings or pistons will be reduced a lot by the additives though... :crazy:

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Never used Restore, but 44K does work for cleaning up the fuel delivery system and cleans some of the carbon build up out of the combustion chamber.