Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does some oil smoke more than others?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kp texan, Aug 18, 2006.

1. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

My '88 TBI smokes pretty badly on startup and I think that different oils of the same weight in my engine smoke worse than others. Philips Tropartic smoked kind of bad, the Mobil Clean 5000 which I had in it last smoked just a little bit, and the Valvoline that I have in it now smokes really bad. Have you guys ever noticed this or am I just imagining things?

Thanks for the input,

Wes

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yes,they do...

You likely have a valve stem seal problem,or perhaps a few loose intake valve giudes,if it only smokes right after you start it..

Oil has what is called a "flash point"--the temparature that it will ignite and burn at..this varies among different viscosities and brands of oil,and also whether its petroleum base or synthetic...heavy oils like 20W-50 ,SAE 30,
    SAE 40,SAE 50 have higher flash points..the higher the flash point,the less smoke you'll see,and less consumption will occour..most synthetics have a much higher flash point than petroleum based oils..(but they also sneak past worn parts better,and can actually be used up faster than conventional oil!.)

I've read that parrafin based oils like Quaker State from wells in PA have a lower flash point than others made from crude pumped from wells further south...

Usually switching to a higher viscosity oil with higher flash points will reduce smoking ,blow by,and excessive oil consumption if the rings are leaking,but if its the valve stem seals or guides causing the smoke,the oil,or "stop smoke" additives dont seem to make much difference,it smokes about the same,because the oil is dripping directly onto the piston and spark plugs,and just about any brand will burn when subjected to the high combustion chamber temparatures there..

My 305 in my 79 C10 puts out a big "PUFF" every time I start it..but it does not "use" oil,it takes 2000+ miles to burn a quart!..I am not going to attempt to change the valve stem seals,I feel its GOOD for a motor to start "well lubed!",as long as it doesn't foul the plugs (and mine doesn't)...I will leave it alone,I have it up for sale,and have no $$ to spend on it anyway..:crazy:

3. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Yeah I forgot to mention that on my first post. I'm pretty sure it's just my valve guide seals since it doesn't burn much oil between changes and only smokes at startup or if I sit at idle for a long time and then take off. It passed a state emissions test with flying colors.

Thanks,

Wes

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

That's an easy fix then! Easier than a lot of other things anyway.

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I've noticed Quaker State seems to smoke where nothing else does.