Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does Synthetic oil cause drop in oil pressure?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I recently switched from Rotella in my 6.2 to Rotella Synthetic- The cold start PSI seemed just a bit lower, and the PSI after 1000RPM is normal- however after some crusing, at stops, the PSI is significantly lower.

I know even while pouring the rotella Synth it seemed a little bit.... thin. I had similiar issues in another car running mobil 1, but I just wanted to confirm with you guys.

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

No experience with the Rotella, I run standard Delo-400 in my Cummins 5.9, my 88 Blazer 350 and my 71 ElCamino 350.

I was running Mobil-1 in the Blazer and Elky and noticed pressure would drop when hot, especially at idle. It also drains like water when warm. It doesnt drop as much with the Dino oil. I couldnt justify the cost difference in the Rotella Syn or Delvac to run in my Motorhomes 5.9 so just continue to buy the old Delo-400.

3. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

if its an older, high mileage motor, you may wanna switch back to regular dino oil...as syn can slip past smaller, worn out areas of yer motor that regular oil couldnt...you may also find more leaks as well. I personally run Delo-400

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

No noticible leaks- Its running good with the Rotella T, but its just when its really hot, it gets a little low when just idling. Thought maybe it was the fram filter I have.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thought maybe it was the fram filter I have.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Fram is rated the worst filter in just about every filter comparison ever done.

In the standard filter lineup, Purolator Pure-1 followed by AC Delco are the top two. I run Delco only on the Blazer and Elky. Mobil-1 on the LS1 and Fleetguard or Mobil-1 on the Cummins 5.9 (Only because they have a better micron filter rating)

Oils will thin when they warm up and pressure will drop. I switched from Mobil-1 to Delo in the Elky (which has 15K on the motor) cuz the pressure would dip down to 10-15psi at 800 RPM idle when pretty hot. The Delo keeps it around 25-30.

Heres a good link on Oil Filter Comparisons

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Yes, Fram is one of the lowest quality oil filters on the market. I owned a lube and repair shop and decided on Napa Silver filters for the quick lubes, I only used Napa Gold filters for diesels however. These are made by Wix (Dana) with a good filter element, heavy gauge can, good quality anti drainback valve and metal coil spring end cap. The Silver filter is more of a universal fit with less applications than the Gold line and the filter element is of a lower quality I was told by the Dana rep. I believe Carquest also carries this same line. They are good quality oil filters /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The wix filter factory rep came in the parts store I worked at and took a few other brands of filters off the shelf,and cut them open with a pipe cutter--I could not beleive the difference in the filter media and other construction details the wix had compared to the others.Even the "cheapie" oil filter we had like Group 7 (purolators economy line)and Champ,even STP filters all had more paper and better internal parts than the fram--the fram had only a piece of string tied around the element to hold its shape- /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif-we also learned that wix filters always incorperate a anti-drainback valve when specified by the factory--many fram ones didnt.I also learned that "dry knock"on many newer fords when cold starting is due to the fact even motorcraft filters dont have the anti-drainback valve,and since the filter lays on its side all the oil drains back into the pan overnight,and the next morning the bearings starve until the filter pumps up full again,resulting in bearing knocks(sounds like a woodpecker)and lifter clatter.I sold many ford owners an AC or Wix filter,and the noise was greatly reduced or eliminated altogether!.I dont care for Fram filters much after seeing what they are made of--dont know how they stayed in business this long. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, its amazing to me that anyone uses Fram filters.....they are the worst oil filters Ive ever cut apart. You gotta love their folded tin "spring" that holds the element up against the filter head, its very common, especially in cold climates, to bend these at cold start ups when the oil is thick and for the element to flop around inside the can doing absolutely nothing. I cant tell you how many Frams Ive removed like that. The owner has no idea his oil isnt even going through the element. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif A good oil filter uses a coil spring to hold the element up against the head. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Besides the fact that at least here, the Napa Silver filters are just as cheap as the Fram's, even when Fram is on sale.

I cut open a Napa Silver last time I did an oil change, and it had a coil spring, and nothing but metal, rubber, and filter material in it. Seemed well built. Not knowing a bunch about filter construction, besides better filter media, I'm not sure how the filter could have been made better.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup frams suck.Bigtime I'd rather use a roll of toilet paper than a Fram. I have had the filter element come loose in them and the anti-drainback valves dont work.
    I have an oil cooler and I must have a filter with a good anti drainback to avoid dry starts. I avoid Fram, Penzoil, Quacker State, Filters(all made by Fram) like the plague. Fram Toughguard filters are the best of the Fram bunch and acually well made. But why pay the extra money when you can get the same quality in a 2.00 Wall-mart Tech 2000 filter(same as STP).

11. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Anybody run STP filters? I never buy fram, but the local shop doesn't always have Delco's in stock, so I tend to buy the STP's on account that they aren't fram.

12. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Fun fact for the day:

66% of all wix filters are sold under the NAPA logo /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Seriously though, the ONLY filters I use are Wix and Purolator and I only use Valvoline, Rotella or Mobil 1 depending on the car.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I reluctantly used 2 STP filters on my 82 6.2 and my 79 C10 250 six,due to lack of cash I didn spring for a wix filter(Napa filters are Wix they just drop the first number from Wix to get Napa's #--51069 Wix= 1069 Napa).Usually I'd use an AC Delco but K-mart here went belly up,and Autozone only has mostly STP now,(I think STP bought the Deutch filter Co.that Autozone used to sell)they only carry like the top 5 numbers in the other brands of filters.My 79 started a weird knock shortly after its oil change,but I dont think its related to the STP oil filter--I think some sludge got sent through the motor because we had extreme cold last winter an I do mostly short trips,and I know there was a lot of crap in the valve cover--its quiet now,but something got wounded in there,I'm just waiting for a meltdown!.
    I havent disected an STP filter yet to see if its internal construction is as good as (or worse than! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif)any other brand but I will next oil change.I think they are ok if you change oil alot like every 3000 or less,STP has a reputation to uphold having been around so long,but that may not mean much anymore--Sears used to have good ratchets too. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gifI doubt if they could be any worse than Fram's discount store line of filters. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

STP filters are made by Champ filters (Champion Labs inc). They also make Lee Maxi filters, Mobil 1, Wall -Mart Tech 2000, and prolly some others. I usem them sometimes. Have had no problems with them, they work well and the anti-drainback valve is good. I think they are definatly better than Fram.
    Oh and to get back to the orginal topic....... I tried syn oil in an older engine (5.0 Ford with 140K mi) and lost a little pressure at idle when it was hot. Switched back to dino oil and it was fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I use dino oil in all my cars . Except my daughters VW Jetta. Because it is turboed I use synthetic in it.
    I just cant justify the extra expense of Syn oil unles it is needed for heat and high stress issues.

15. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I recently switched from Rotella in my 6.2 to Rotella Synthetic- The cold start PSI seemed just a bit lower, and the PSI after 1000RPM is normal- however after some crusing, at stops, the PSI is significantly lower.

I know even while pouring the rotella Synth it seemed a little bit.... thin. I had similiar issues in another car running mobil 1, but I just wanted to confirm with you guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had the same thing happen to my Duramax. I still use the synth rotella, but want to switch to Mobil Delvac 1. But cant justify the price plus the shipping on it. Cause no one sells it around here.

John

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Someone on another board had noted that DElvac 1 is now sold as "Mobil 1 Truck & SUV" oil. saw it at wally world yesterday.

17. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yes i read that too, but my local Wally's and other outlets dont sell that either. I have asked and everyone looks like I'm speaking Greek /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Its a good heads up for anyone looking for it though... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

John