Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does the bad luck ever stop?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Oct 9, 2005.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

OK, well as stated in previous threads, the D60 ARB is done. Axle just needs to go back up. Now, onto the 14BFF. Last week, I accidently pressed the bearing on the 14 bolt air locker before I put the seal housing on :doah: (I was in a rush), and I exhausted all methods to get it off without using heat. I decided to have a machine shop do it. I dont have the right equipment. Sounds logical right???

So Friday, I have to drive to a bunch of places and call a dozen more to find someone who would do it. No one wanted to deal with a unit 'that big and heavy.' (Its smaller than my D60 locker). Finally I find a place about 35 miles away that would do it. I drive up and the guy says give me 20 minutes. Perfect, I went and got my dad's truck sniffer tested for emisions.

Come back in 30 and its done. Guy said $40 :eek1: . Oh well, its done, and paid the man. Get home and start to put the seal housing on, and noticed several not too deep, but deep enough, scratches down the nose of the locker. Thats what the seal housing rides on, and the orings seal against. It looks as if the guy tightened up a clamshell puller too tight and rubbed all against the housing while removing the bearing. :mad: OK... so I smoothed them with a file, but not before I took a bunch of pictures...

So, I put the housing on and drive a new bearing on. OK. Then I drop it in the housing. Adjusted pinion depth once, and backlash a few times, then got a textbook perfect pattern. Damn, I felt good. Then I began routing the copper tube. Hmm, something feels ... *snap*. Broke it off clean at the soldered joint. Cant fix it. Got to get a new piece. And its behind the same bearing... :rolleyes: :doah:

THEN... after being unbelieveably pissed for the rest of the night, I decided to take it easy and tackle some more tomarrow (today). So, I get the old rear shackle hangars out, get the old front frame bushings out and new front in, so things are going pretty good. Now time for the steering brace and gear box (new $$ PSC). So I have my dad hold the box while I get some bolts in. No problem. I even got the little brace in without too much trouble. But for some reason, the big brace did not want to sit right. I can finger tighten the bolts about a turn, then they just stop. OK, use a ratchet, but careful not to cross-thread. After fighting with it for nearlyt 3 hours, we find that the steering brace is not made correctly. The holes for the bolts that go into the box are not alligned properly. Did not notice that before. It forced the bolts in at an angle the harder I tigntened it. Took the box back out and two holes are FUBAR. Cant even get a tap to go in strait. :rolleyes: :doah:

So, Im done for the weekend. Can I drill out the holes that are FUBAR and put a grade 8 bolt all the way through with a nut on the other end? Will that be strong enough?

Sorry, for the long post and rant, I just needed to vent somewhere... :(

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd heli-coil the PS box bolt holes...

Rene

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Good question. I personally don't see why not...
    I'd use a Grade 8 washer, under the Grade 8 nut, on the Grade 8 bolt. (See the pattern here?? :D :D )

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't think the box is machined on the back side, so a nut will not sit flat. If the surface is not machined flat, the side load will dramatically weaken the bolt. On something like that, the right solution is heli-coil (or equivalent).