Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does the IRS ever go away?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Dec 22, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Suppose someone still owed income taxes for 1998, and the IRS is still sending them letters in the mail, will the IRS ever give up? Can the IRS be negotiated with for a one time payment? If so, are they dicks and take the negotiated payment and then still demand the rest, or are they honest when they make a deal? Can they take away vehicles? Any input is appreciated...

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

They won't go away. If one owes, they owe, period. Suck it up and pony up. The full amount plus interest & penalties. There's no reason to let someone get away with a partial or no payment. Even if it was 7 years ago.
    Sorry, but that's reality.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

No they will not give up.

Yes they can work with you, its called an Offer in Compromise. Go to the local IRS branch or look at www.IRS.gov for the forms.

No they willl not demand more (nor can they) once they accept the OIC. (Of course they are, IMO, dicks regardless.)

Yes they can take away vehicles, and anything else of value in which you have equity.

4. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

One dirty little trick they use to screw you is: They send you a letter claiming you owe such and such, if you agree with them, SIGN here and they'll send you a bill. DON'T EVER AGREE with the IRS.(It can and will be construed as admitting negligence, and brings a whole new layer of penalties with it). ACCEPT their settlement offer, and cut them a check. Yes, they are arssholes, but like most cops, they rarely get to deal with an honest person--usally a bottomfeeder thats up to no good. Also, if they take your truck, and you pay them the next day, it could well be six months or more before you get it back. Yes, they can do that, and they are arssholes. Best thing to do is to pay them.
    Jimbo

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

No, they don't go away.
    They can (and WILL) f**k your credit rating, too. IRS hits on your credit report are like a kiss of death when it comes time for financing stuff...
    Contact 'em, negotiate a settlement and a payment plan. That's what I did a few years back; once the deal was made, they stuck to it. Just gotta make those payments ON-TIME, or the deal's off.

6. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Federal tax lawyers,,

[​IMG][​IMG]Home [​IMG] Site Map Go To... HOME MyTBLS GET CERTIFIED WHO'S CERTIFIED NEWS FAQs CONTACT US LINKS SITEMAP[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Home [​IMG] Who's Certified [​IMG] Results - Attorney Directory[​IMG]Search Results - Attorney Directory

MS. SARA W. DALTON TRAPANI
    1986 Tax Law

My wife would disagree with you,,,,
    Not ALL IRS Tax lawyers are D**Ks and A-holes,,

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

What wasted ages said. I think this is a matter for an attorney, not wheelers, to advise. But I know for a fact that it is not true that the IRS wion't go away. If you are concerned, get a tax attorney. Mostly what happens is that they send a letter asking you to agree that you owe them X. (Don't sign it). They may then send a Notice of Lien. They'll put a lien notice on your credit report. That doesn't garnish wages or anything, but could adversely affect your credit for a while. However, the IRS only has 10 years to collect what they believe you owe. They often do not levy anything. They rarely take someone's house or other personal possessions - most people don't have a lot of equity or stuff worth much on resale.

After 10 years, if you did nothing, and the IRS didn't collect, then that's the end of that. They can't continue to try to collect that money. You can get the derogatory credit removed from your credit reporting record.

This is just what I've seen. Again, I think a matter like this is best left to professionals (attorneys) to deal with.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They just took the returns from me until it was paid , for 1995,6,7 . I non filed , and when I got my head on straight I had no return check until 2000 .

9. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

No, they wont go away. Yes they can take stuff and screw your credit. Accept that they have the power, cut a deal or payment plan and move on. I made them 25.00 min. payments for 2 years and of course they kept my refunds but Im done now. Good luck, try to not let them piss you off.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Actually the IRS will do worse than give up.... they will act like they are giving up... and 10 years later, when you've forgotten all about it they will send you another letter saying you owe 50x as much due to penalties, interest etc. Don't go down that road dude, pay up.

j

11. cbbr

No, but the IRS is loaded with them (a-holes, not lawyers, although there are some that make no distinction). I don't necessarily blame them as they get to deal with people avoiding taxes all day which has got to be stressful. I wasn't trying to offend so sorry if I did. By the way -USTC# BC0679.;)

12. cbbr

Good advice, but they are expensive. Try to contact a Taxpayer Advocate for some help first. Be careful, and make sure that you understand everything completely before you comit to anything. If you feel like you need some professional help, find a local lawyer that does tax work. They list that way in the yellow pages. Look here to start - http://www.irs.gov/advocate/index.html

13. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I know a guy here who used to work for the IRS. He has retired and now has a business where he helps people negotiate with the IRS. He knows all of their moves so now he uses that against them. Maybe there is someone like that in your area. I would think that his fees are much less than an attorney's would be. The IRS will write your debt off after 10 years, but it would be better for you if you could work something out and pay them. I think the main thing is to communicate with them. Return their calls, etc., just don't sign anything without professional advice. If you work out a payment arrangement. MAKE the payments. Miss one payment and you're done.

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As I read the posts, no one ever said tax lawyers are d**ks and a**holes - we all said the IRS is. I'd be willing to be that 75% of all Americans would agree here, too. It's a blanket statement toward the institution, not necessarily any particular individual; when I had to deal with them, the people I spoke to were actually pretty nice (and I had a tax lien & wage garnishment about to be dropped on me, so I wasn't exactly on their "good" list...)
    Anyway, the fact remains that the IRS doesn't forget. Ask me how I found that out...

15. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

16. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

Get it in writing!

No one said this. Keep great records. Anything negotiated, be sure to receive in writing. Be sure the agent signs and dates. Protect yourself. Keep copies of checks.

My experience as a CPA is that they may waive the penalty, but never the interest. Which is right. After all, you had use of 'their' money for all of these years.

How much are we talking about? You're best to pay them. Sell what you have to. They are not a creditor you mess with. Even in death, they get theirs first.

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I apologize for not being in here sooner, but my internet hasn't been working right, and thanks eveyone for the information.

So, what happens if I call them myself to negotiate? Assuming I don't actually agree to anything if I don't like what they say, can my situation get any worse? If I can't work it out myself with them then I can call someone local and see what they advise and what they can do for me?

The quick story - Myself and a couple other guys worked for a "friend". This person we believed to be our "friend" would take taxes out of our checks, but never hand the $$$ over to the government (now I know how he could afford 2 Corvettes, fancypants Levi jeans, JBL power subwoofer entertainment center, and 3 girlfriends...). I have been hesitant in paying because I have already paid the taxes, just not to the Government because he kept the $$$. At the end of that year he closed his business and, luckily for him, he disappeared and we haven't been able to locate him yet. My other 2 friends just sucked it up and have already paid. I was fairly young at the time, and didn't know any better, so I didn't bother to keep many check stubs (who would think your friend would screw you like this?), and the few I did have were lost in a flood when our sump pump quit working during a huge storm. Things I learned: be carefull who you trust and don't store things in cardboard boxes on the floor of a basement.

The IRS has been keeping my return of $900 to $1,200 every year, which almost covers the fees/fines. The current amount due is around $5,500 including all interest.

I only have a couple trucks that are titled in my name, everything else I own I have titled in someone else's name so the govt can't get it, and it really sucks living like this. It sucks to be me... (where's the crybaby smilie?)