Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does the site seem slow to you?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HarryH3, Jul 9, 2003.

1. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It seems like page loads take are taking longer and longer every day. I'm often waiting 30 to 60 seconds for a page to load, every time I click on a link for a thread. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just wondered if others are noticing this. I'm usually on in the evening, when there are a lot of people logged on. However, right now the main forum screen says that there are only 16 registered users online and 7 anonymous users.

Perhaps the database needs to be reindexed? It just seems to be getting progressively worse. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I'm having the same problem. I have DSL and this is the only
    site that runs slow. Glad to see its not just me /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Yep this site is slower than a hibernating 3 toe sloth. The main site is fine but I think the forums may need pruned or something cuz they load SLOW. I am on cable and the 5 other message boards I use pop right up and a few of em have several thousand users.

4. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have dsl to and it is the same for me. Mike

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Mine will say its done loading with nothing loaded, then about 30 sec. ltr it will finally pop up. I've even had it not pop up at all. Just started about a week and a half ago. Maybe 2. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Me too. I posted about this in feedback a while back and didn't get any response from Steve.

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Man you guys are never happy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I may have to create an archive forum viewable only by Members, that way I could get rid of 1/2 millon posts from the general viewing public but they would still be available, looking into the best way to do it without throwing yet more money at it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Its about normal for me and I'm on dial-up. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It's never been fast fast for me, but just normal. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That would be cool, but would it help? Is it a bandwidth problem? Or a database scallability problem?

If it's bandwidth, I don't think the archive will help. Is the search really that popular? You sure wouldn't know it to look at most of the posts...

If it's a database lookup and memory/disk-access/scallability kind of thing, then reducing the size of the primary database might be a good idea. Just move "old" posts to the "new forum" (as a different database? different table? no clue how these things work) and have it as a separate selectable forum in the search page? Or it could be trasparently "joined" when the search time span exceeds the "new" threshold?

Hmmm, need more coffee..... must wake up.... sorry for the babbling...

10. CK5

Those are the issues I'm looking at right now, I do know that searching a large database does tax it quite a bit.

11. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i had the same problem and this is what fixed it for me. . . watch the status bar, when it slows, click stop, and about half to 3/4 of the post will be loaded the click refresh and it'll finish a lot quicker. but it stopped being slow for me anyway lately. i got cable.

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yes, i thought it was something on my end, but having DSL i was beginning to wonder. Much just be the more heavy traffic we are getting, which is good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine will say its done loading with nothing loaded, then about 30 sec. ltr it will finally pop up. I've even had it not pop up at all. Just started about a week and a half ago. Maybe 2. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    it does this to me as well i thought it was just me /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif it has been slow for me as well /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

14. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yup. Veeeeeeery slow. Of course it might be due to the fact that I am on 56K dial up running at 24K !! lol Every site is slow for me. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

15. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

don't forget , someone was going to jack-up everything on the internet july 4th weekend.they said it might take month's to fix it.they were only going to attack big sites. if your slow with dsl that might be it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

all this time i thought it just me.. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

17. HarryH3

I'm on a dial up, so it is never what I would call speedy, but lately it takes 5-10 times longer to load a single forum page on CK5 than on any other forum-type site that I visit. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Does the database ever get indexed? I don't know if MySQL will let you reindex on the fly, but a large database that hasn't been indexed in some time will really get the hard drive thrashing. Reindexing the database file will make everything run much quicker (even searches). /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

18. CK5

Yes, I do reindex at times Mom /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I will do it early tommorow. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. HarryH3

Kewl! I sure hope it helps! I'm nodding off waiting for pages to load. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

I have a cable modem and it seems fine for me. However, I am drinking heavily and watching TV while I reply to anyone who appears to be awake at this hour, so I may not be fully realizing how long it takes. Also, I left my stopwatch in the glove box of a vehicle for about 9 months, and it quit working, so I have no real concept of time now without it.

Cheers,
    Scott