Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does this go overboard?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 16, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm having some trouble with my town... Yeah, the one I was thinking of running for office in... Anyway, I get a collection notice about once a month, and I almost always send it back asking them to provide a copy of the ticket, cause 9 out of 10 times, I don't have the ticket. Leaving a ticket on a windsheild where cars are vandalized occasionally isn't a sure fire way to get it to the intended recipient. Not to mention the tickets I've picked off my windsheild in bits and pieces after rain storms...

So anyway, after a letter back from the collection agency that said "Copies enclosed" with copies of 2 tickets, but a bill for 3, tonight, I snapped.

This is my letter to the town. Am I overdoing it?

[ QUOTE ]
    June 16, 2004
    Dear Sir or Madam:
    I currently have several unknown outstanding parking summons, apparently all issued in the Cold Spring Harbor LIRR commuter parking lot.
    I have very few original summons’. Upon receipt of several collection notices, I have requested of “FBS” that I be provided photocopies of each summons, as I’m billed for them. FBS has provided some, but not all, and apparently ignores my dispute of the validity of these summons, since I get another bill instead of a hearing date to dispute the summons. Please consider this a Not Guilty plea and a request for a hearing on ALL outstanding summons’.
    An example of why it’s important that I get a hearing;
    Summons 185659, one of the photocopied summons FBS sent me, is CLEARLY not the vehicle registered to the license plate on the summons. The license plate on the summons is from my vehicle (which was either a black Chevrolet Blazer or brown Jeep at that time), but the vehicle described on the summons is a red Chevrolet Sedan. Neither my wife nor I have ever owned or registered, much less driven, a red Chevrolet sedan.
    Please provide me with a list of outstanding summons for the following license plates:
    [plates of all cars we've owned in the last 5 years here]

Please provide photocopies of all, except the following, outstanding summons for the above plates:
    [ticket numbers here]

Especially provide copies of the following summons, which FBS has failed to provide after two requests:
    A070010625

Additionally, it is unclear in initial communications that “FBS” is a collection agency or some sort of extension of the Town of Huntington, especially being based in Hempstead. After ignored requests for proof of authorization to collect a debt on behalf of the TOH, I will remit any payment deemed required to TOH, and none to “FBS” without written authorization or proof from the Town of Huntington that FBS is a legitimate collection agency representing Town of Huntington. In an age of rampant information theft and fraud, more steps should be taken to instill confidence in parking summons victims that may choose to pay a summons rather than contest the summons.
    Sincerely,

[/ QUOTE ]

So should I add anything or remove anything? I also don't want them to read this and start thinking I'm going to armor plate a bulldozer and come after town hall.

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

wow...thats a sticky one. so you dont even fit the vehicle description that the ticket goes to?If thats the case,and theres been a mix up, mabey go down there,with pictures of the vehicles that you DO own,and vin #s,and prove it wasnt even your truck/car if thats the case.Mabey going down there in person would help? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif good luck,jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, but it's the typical issue with that parking lot. I've gotten at least 3 "parked outside of a marked stall" tickets in the last 3 years, and the stall makrings haven't been painted in at least 20 years. Put a little salt and winter sanding on that, and there are no stall markings. Ticks me off, it's like a little game the public safety yahoo plays. He sits in the lot til a train leaves, then circles around the lot looking at the cars and writing tickets. I've sat and watched him. He won't ticket my car even if he drives past it three times if I'm sitting in it, but I'll come back that night and there'll be a ticket there marked 15 minutes after I left the car. Like he's afraid I'll get out and point out that he's quite obviously writing a bogus ticket.

I can't go down there and do anything. It's all done by scheduled "conference" when you contest a ticket. The TVB people will laugh at you if you show up there to fight a ticket without an appointment.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Take pictures,videos,whatever.How were you supposed to know the damn spot was illegal? It wasnt even marked?????? Make an appointment,go down there,and prove your point.Dosent sound like they have a leg to stand on,well almost no leg.Dosent sound like even the same vehicle /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif..on top of that ,i would demand your lost wages for the day too,but thats just me.Sound like you have a legitimate despute to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have very few original summons

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd leave this out. It makes you sound like you get a lot of tickets. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

You arent overdoing anything. The letter was well written, it communicated clearly and was polite.

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Pitures are worth a thousand words. Take pitures of your vehicle, take pitures of the parking area. Write a polite letter (Note; make copys) send too county atty. These tickets may get dissmissed. Have copys incase you have too take this to court.

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I don't think it's overdone at all.

I'll be doing something like this with New Jersey shortly, so I feel your pain...

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

'k, I think I'll remove that line then send it. I noticed a line on one of the bills last night that said "Reduced: $0", so I'm wondering if I can talk them down. I might call the collection agency later and see if I can't strike a deal to pay half or soemthing to plead guilty and wipe out all tickets. Noone needs the headache fighting these will bring (there are like 6 or 7 tix, and I know at least one is legit and I have to pay), and while I abhor allowing them to be wrong and pay them for it, it may be the only way to go on without losing my annually-paid-for *privilege* to park until this mess is ironed out...

I hate it when people succeed at being wrong!

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    it may be the only way to go on without losing my annually-paid-for *privilege* to park until this mess is ironed out...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are contesting them they should not be allowed to revoke your parking permit while the case is pending. At least that is the way I think it should be. But you know how most governments run things. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Have you tried parking your car, walk away for 15 minutes then return to talk with the glorified meter maid?

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

No, the parking lot's too quiet. If they saw me in the car on one pass, and then didn't see me in it on the next pass but no trains came through, they'd wait for a train, probably assuming I got on and left for 10 hours as usual. That's a good idea, thoguh.

Now I'm driving my brothers luxury car while he's in A school, though, so I doubt I'll get any tickets in this thing. My junky nissan was a ticket magnet...