Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does this make you feel how it makes me feel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 25, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Letter in the local paper:

Motorized recreationists can dismount

Motorized recreationists are fond of howling about their "rights'' while wringing their hands in distress over protection efforts for endangered species and roadless areas on public land.

Their distress, of course, is not over the plight of rare species spiraling into the maw of extinction or the impoverishment of our world as beauty and pristine places are sacrificed for cheap thrills.

Rather, the angst felt by the motorized people is over the prospect their gasoline-propelled mania may be curtailed in society's attempt to preserve a biological legacy of incalculable value.

Lacking scientific or persuasive rational arguments, the motor folk concoct the disingenuous claim that they are being "locked out'' of public lands.

In fact, however, no one is denied access to a single acre of the public domain. The motor mob's real lament has to do with getting off their machines and walking to areas needing protection from their mechanized onslaught.

The reasons for limiting motorized incursions are not capricious. An extensive body of scientific research documents the destructive impacts of these machines on wildlife, water quality and native plant communities.

It's time the motor mob recognizes that "rights'' usually entail commensurate "responsibilities.''

Mark Sprengel, executive director
    Selkirk Conservation Alliance, Priest River, Idaho
    Priest River, ID

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like some Sierra club wantabe a$$hole. Send him this way and I'll show him all kinds of trails that are closed up in the Black Hills National Forest (Public land). /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If these people all lived in apartment complexes downtown and didn't own cars (which are necessary to get to state and federal lands in my area) instead of nice houses in subdivisions that destroyed the environment and animals they profess to love and protect, you might actually be able to believe that they practice what they preach.

But, you have to use reason to reach that conclusion, and it's something that all extremists lack.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I do believe a link to the newspaper this appeared in be posted so the other side, i.e. the truth may be told...........

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what a piece of $hit. I don't see any environmental reason why you can't have a few 10' wide paths winding through 27983524982956 acre forests. That path ain't gonna do any damage of significance. Rock crawling is an even more eco-friendly type of wheeling... solid slabs of rock arent exactly eco-hotbeds. Sure, you'll get some moss or lichens or something on 'em... but they aint exactly rare/endangered.

j

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Lacking scientific or persuasive rational arguments, the motor folk concoct the disingenuous claim that they are being "locked out'' of public lands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, Mr. Asshat Sprengel, since we don't have any scientific arguements, clearly you do. And I'm real glad that you decided to include them. Way to go Doctor.

Hey, jerktard, hope you wrote that with a piece of stone in the sand, or you would have killed a tree for a pencil, or when you threw away the plastic pen it would choke a duckling or stab a small fish, or maybe poison a whale. If you used a computer well that's coal burned electricity. And i bet your environmental group has a nice gas heated welcoming center with bearskin carpets and wood desks. That's right asstard, get yourself a spoon and get Mr. Nader to drop'em.

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

A couple reply letters have been drafted and submitted by members of the Spokane 4-Wheelers club.

"Mr. Sprengel’s letter indicates little knowledge of motorized recreation groups, our use of the backcountry or our issues.

The majority of those engaged in motorized recreation do so in a safe and environmentally conscious way. We are not against the protection of endangered species or roadless areas; we just want to maintain someplace we can pursue our recreation. Many make it sound like we are driving everywhere in the back country; this is just not the case. There are limited areas we are allowed to take our vehicles and many of these places are being taken away. Our various organizations work with government agencies and other user groups to ensure we have a place for our recreation and that environmental concerns are addressed.

If the various groups would spend more time working together we would be much closer to solving the problems that exist. I applaud the efforts of the Forest Service in doing just that with their Forest Plan meetings.

I invite anyone that would like to see what we do in the backcountry to one of our four wheel drive runs.

Wolfgang Schubert

President, ?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Spokane 4 Wheelers

Director, Idaho Land Matters, Region 7, PNW4WDA"

#2 Written by the club president:

"Here is the letter I wrote to the editor of the Spokesman-Review (edited down to the 200 word limit).
    I got a response saying it would probably be printed in the next few days.
    ------------------------------
    Mark Sprengel paints a picture of motorized recreationists determined to destroy the environment in the pursuit of "cheap thrills." Nothing could be farther from the truth.
    One reason we pursue our sport is to enjoy the beauty of our public lands. We have no more interest in destroying that beauty than does Mr. Sprengel. However, there needs to be a balance between the protection of these lands and the desire of the public to enjoy them.
    Anti-motorized groups like to say that nobody is "locked out" of public lands. While most public land is open to access by foot, not everyone has the time or physical ability to hike to enjoy these areas.
    There are over 100 million acres of public land designated as wilderness, where no mechanized access is allowed. Millions of additional acres are closed to motorized recreation for various reasons. We do not believe it is neccessary to reserve every square inch of public land for endangered species and non-motorized recreationists.
    Motorized recreationists recognize the responsibilities that come with access to public lands. We strive to educate users on proper places and ways to use their vehicles. We also work with land managers to design, build, and maintain trails to minimize impact to the environment.

Alan E. Dragoo
    Director, Region 7
    Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association (PNW4WDA)"

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

This sounds like the same kind of person that professes the evils of hunting doing everything they can to outlaw it while their rural estates go up taking thousands of foodland from wild game forcing them to starve to death through the winter. Conservation indeed.

9. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

good letter, only suggestion [ QUOTE ]
    Many make it sound like we are driving everywhere in the back country; this is just not the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many make it seem as though motor vehicles are being driven all across the backcountry and wildlife reserves; this however is simply not so.