Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does this sound like "best friend" behavior?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Few months ago I let my best friend of almost 20 years take possesion of my Glock 22...was havin a really hard time in life at the time, I didn't need something like that sittin there starin at me. Anyways. life has turned around 100%..Things are better, so I asked him to grab if for me today. I live 80 miles away now, was makin a trip back there to pick up a few things. He said "sure, I think it's in my storage unit." So I get there, do the things I had to do, then on the way out of town, I called him up to tell him I was coming over to pick the gun up. He goes..."Well, I can't find it. Looked in the storage unit, looked around at home, and looked at my moms place, just can't find it." Now, having known the guy for almost 20 years, I know he has a problem loosing things. It's prolly right in front of his face, or under his bed or some other obvious place. I thought he was kidding at first, so I said "You're kidding me right? You lost my Glock? Of all the things to loose dude...!!" I had planned to go shooting with Jesse this weekend. I gave him some $h!t about that, and basically makin a mountain out of a molehill, not really worrying to much about it. What he said next just blew my mind..."Look dude, I don't care, I just don't. It doesn't matter to me. Not important to me. You can go shooting some otherday." :eek1::eek1::eek1:

I couldn't freakin believe it! Not even an apology, or "look man, it's my b-day, you didn't give much notice, I'll look alittle better tommorrow". (Today is his b-day.) It was all good up till he said that. Wasn't to worried, I knew he'd find it sooner or later. But that comment hurt. 20 years of friendship is really hard to write off and give up on...but I'll never forget that. He won't apologize...not the type. This sucks ass....I'm very, very picky about the friends I have. Don't have maany at all, the onees I do have are "best" friends. So the thought of bad blood between me and a friend I've known for so long, hurts.:(

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That sucks. He's either genuinely having a bad day or he's now showing you his true colours.
    I'd cut any long standing friend some slack and put it down to a bad day. Give him a couple days and then ask him what it was all about.
    Good luck.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I agree, after 20 yrs, call it a bad day and move on with your friendship. If he "really" believes that it was not a big deal don't expect him to apologize. If after it doesn't show up in a week or two then I'd start to get pissed.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep - bad day. Give hime a few days. It's hard to tell what may be bothering people some times. 20 years is a long time. friendships are not worth losing without another chance.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would be upset as well, but like others have said he may have just had a bad day. I would ask him again in a day or so and then if this gun is registered to you i would let it be known to him that you are now going to report this gun as being lost or stolen or whatever and that it would be in his best interest to FIND this lost gun in a real hurry. This might wake up his attitude a bit if he knows that he is in possession of a lost or stolen gun.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

dont toss 20 years of friendship man, my 2 best friends, i have known them for 20 years, no way i would let anything come between us.

he might me a little stressed, or dissapointed that you moved so far away after always beeing close by for so long.
    i know thats kinda chick ish but hey it happens.

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I'm a very suspicious person. I would wait to see if the pistol turns up. Oh yeah, no matter how bad things are, NEVER DISARM YOURSELF!!!

John

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Normally with friends I would say cut him a little slack and see what happens. However, with firearms, that raises the ante. Maybe that gun really is under a bed somewhere. Then again, maybe a buddy of his has it and it has changed hands four times and now belongs to a guy doing armed robberies. Guess who the gun is going to come back to when they pop the guy, or the guy does a caper and tosses the gun out the window and it is found? If that gun doesn't show up pronto, I'd report it missing so as to cover your ass ASAP. And by the way, don't paint my driveshaft rainbow colors.......:D

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I agree, friends are friends but a gun changes the equation. I have a friend that has been going through some bad times and brought me all of his guns, 7 of them, because he was uncomfortable having them in the house. (he was depressed, the ex was threatening to charge him with stalking, etc., bad situation.)

I talk to him every week at least, and ask him if he needs them back, and let him know they are ready for him to take. I also clean them regularly, have them locked up with my guns, and had them added to my insurance policy and took pictures of them. I took on the responsibility of caring for these guns and take it very seriously; as should your friend.

Bottom line is it's not like losing a simple possession like a TV or something just about money.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

hay i have one i got cheep the other day. i think its (hot) . whats the ser # of yours?:haha: sorry for that. its his bday or he dont realy care. but its a hand gun with your info on the ser# so find it and fast.

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Getting my pad and paper,,,, OK got it:wink1:

Seriously though Jethro, if he dosent get serious or start looking I'd tell him that your gonna have to report it stolen, I wouldn't acuse him of stealing it but if he sold it it should works its way all the way back to him once they find it, or he'll atleast remember were he misplaced it alot quicker...:crazy:

12. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Bleh....he wasn't having a bad day. I know him like a brother.... He was bein a prick. He's reacted the same way to others in the past...I've witnessed it. I figured I was immune to it being his friend. My guess is that he just has a different idea of what friendship means.

And as others have said, if it was a tool, or some other semi-valuble item, it wouldn't be a big thing. But a gun, and the Glock being a very conspicuous looking one, is a different story. Some things, just by thier very nature, require a bit more responsibility, maturity and thought. Thats whats really dissapointing about this situation...He's old enough to know better.
    :(

13. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

In my book, it's a BIG no-no to misplace a gun. Multiply that by 1000 if it's not your own gun. If a kid gets ahold of that and does damage to himelf or anyone else, YOU will be the one in trouble. It's posted in every gun store in CA as far as I know.

14. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

guns tell stories and have long lives....
    once I recovered a another coppers guns taken from nypd... ending up in los angeles 15 years later... traced to a homicide in texas and another in las vegas.... imagine the story that gun could tell about where it had been and what it had done

ok.... now you are in the AFS system as the owner... now and forever until you sell it and the person registers it,,,, why have the chance for the police to show up to your door one day because you are the registered owner...and it was used in a crime
    I agree with others here... give him a week... tell him... then report it as lost or stolen with your friend as the last possessor of it

cam