Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does this stand out at all?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, May 6, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Here's my illegal scrap metal load that my Suburban is "incapable" of hauling:
    [​IMG]

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

might help if you didn't have quite so much drop there boss. Or is it just the picture looking like the tongue is near the ground? As for the pile, well its a couple thousand pounds of stuff heeped taller than a lifted Suburban, can you say high center og gravity? I can see why you had trouble, come on, swerve that trailer could probably toss the Burb around a bit.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Wow the trailer looks a little floppy there

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

can you say, DOT ticket coming up! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

5. mountainexplorer

[ QUOTE ]
    As for the pile, well its a couple thousand pounds of stuff heeped taller than a lifted Suburban, can you say high center og gravity? I can see why you had trouble, come on, swerve that trailer could probably toss the Burb around a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The total weight of scrap metal was 4400 lbs. Overall, including the Suburban, I weighed just over 14,000 lbs.

It's looks may be deceiving, but the trailer on probably the 50+ cars it's hauled and all the heavy loads has never once fishtailed. It's never acted squirrely behind the Suburban (well, the Suburban is nearly a true 1-ton now). The load I had on there didn't shift one bit in a total of 90 miles anywhere from 1-50mph.

I remember thinking to myself how this load towed like a piece of cake when I got pulled over and the guy seemed like this load was too heavy for me to be pulling.

I thought that this would act top heavy until after I towed it... almost forgot it was back there.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/30804775/87907792IfOLNW

Here was my trailer back with the old wooden bed and un-reinforced frame:
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/30804775/30805274VsvsSavFqE
    Now the load on the left (when I towed it with my 3/4 ton 2wd red truck) I have to admit was borderline on dangerous. I thought it was going to lift the front of the truck off the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Allan.
    Now did the Cop say it was the Suburban that was incapable or was it the trailer or both?
    The reason that I ask is because (from the pics) the tires on the trailer look dinky as hell for a trailer that size.
    Did the cop give a reason? Did the load excede the GVR of the Suburban? Did the load excede the GVR of the trailer? Does WA. state requier that the load be wraped or coverd in any way? Find out You might be able to fight the ticket.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah he exceeded the GVWR of the Burb. He has upgraded it to a point where its got a higher GVWR but it doesn't matter, if the registration doesn't reflect it, it doesn't exist. I titled my 3/4 ton burb and 3/4 ton pickup down to half tons. Cheaper tags, but I have loaded both of them plenty of times to a point that would be fenderwell rubbing on the 1/2 tons. And I've never trailered with either /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

8. mountainexplorer

There was no problem with the trailer as far as weight capacity and tires.

I weighed over 14,000 lbs, and anything over 10,000 is considered commercial... so I need a fire extinguisher, more proper tie downs and a backup (beeping) device to be a legal commercial rated vehicle.

He let me go on alot of stuff cause he was a nice guy and knew I wasn't trying to do anything intentionally illegal.

9. mountainexplorer

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah he exceeded the GVWR of the Burb. He has upgraded it to a point where its got a higher GVWR but it doesn't matter, if the registration doesn't reflect it, it doesn't exist. I titled my 3/4 ton burb and 3/4 ton pickup down to half tons. Cheaper tags, but I have loaded both of them plenty of times to a point that would be fenderwell rubbing on the 1/2 tons

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was over on the Suburban. Exactly put. Even though the Suburban can in reality handle the weight, it's not alloted to according to the numbers assigned to it by the factory on the title. Its a factory 3/4 ton 4x4 1981 Suburban and I havent upgraded the GVW on it... mainly cause I dont want to have to pay more for tabs.

In a way it's kinda funny... my theory of "technicality verses physicality". The physical reality of the situation may be that I can handle the weight, but until I pay the money to get my GVW upgraded (the technicality of paperwork), the state cannot recognize that capacity; which therefore does not exist until they say it does.

It's all because if we didn't all have to adhere to the same standards, people would be going out saying they can handle stuff when in reality they can't, then those people go out and cause damage or harm to others as a result. In a way I think it's kinda dumb how we all have to do stuff so by-the-book, but it's for the overall good.

So, I'm not complaining. The guy that pulled me over was very nice and let me off easy. I'll admit openly to the things that he did cite me for, because I am guilty of those few things so I deserve what I got. I also think that he probably knew enough about rigs that he could visibly see that the Suburban wasn't your typical stock 1/2 or 3/4 ton, and also saw the manner in which stuff was tied down.

Even though I did take shortcuts to get going on the road in time, I wouldn't do anything that would be a major hazard. If I had, I think I'd have gotten the full possible ticket amount.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

GCVWR is what you need to check
    motor homes are exempt from commercial wieght hassles IIRC
    that load is low and doesnt look overweight at all to me
    the floor of a hiway tractor trailer is much higher then most of that load

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

GVWR is 8,600 on that Suburban or so. I doubt that minimal tounge weight and anything that might have been inside was anywhere near that. 14,000 - 4400 - weight of the trailer puts you well under 8,600.

GCWR for that truck depending on factory gear ratio would make it plenty capable of 14,000+ I do believe. 14,000- 8600 (vehicle loaded to full GVWR) = 5,400 lbs of towing capacity.

I'd say you're right there at your limits, but probably below them if there is any question.

The statement about 10,000+ is absolute crap. Look at all the motor homes going down the road. Or the trucks pulling campers that weigh as much as your combined load is above. Are they all, "commercial."

Hell no. If you're pulling scrap and it's not for hire it is not commercial.

If he wrote you a ticket, I would certainly fight it.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thats a big load /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif