Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does this thing actually even work...electro-shield?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, May 14, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I see this every so often in different catalogs (JCWhitney mostly) and on display in different parts places. It's an elctro-shield to stop/prevent rust and corrosion. They run about $100. It's suppost to protect the whole truck inside and out. It hooks up to your truck I assume to the battery and runs off of it. Do you know what I mean here? It some how converts electrons of something like that into a source to prevent rust? It sounds too good too be true, which means it probably is! But I wanted to ask if anyone knew what I was talking about? I mean if this thing works that'd be awesome. Even just a little it'd still be good...I bet though it's a piece of junk.....

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Ive seen these in JCWhitney.Ive never seen one in action but if it worked you know everybody would have one.

Proving once again that man CAN live on beer alone

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've seen those too. I personally don't think they'll provide any more anti-rust protection than the same dollar amount of paint, undercoating, and prep materials. Rust WILL happen, it's a certainty. All you can do is delay the start of it and keep the rate of decay down. The trick is to maintain the integrity of the paint/bedliner/undercoating, and treat any paint chips or rust spots ASAP. This is what we had to do on our helicopters, because all the salt spray and atmospheric contamination would cause corrosion of the aircraft's structure. When we were on a ship, we had to freshwater-rinse the aircraft and the engines every day to keep the salt from causing the aircraft to turn into a $28 million pile of white powder.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Get soem POR 15...I just put mine on on Saturday, and no rust yet[​IMG]...seriously, thats really the only thing that'll guarantee your truck wont rust, if you cover the bottom with it.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I haven't heard anything about them, but it's possible that they do work. Corrosion is nothing but the alloys trying to return to their original state. This happens in the same way that a battery works. If you stop the flow of electrons, you stop the corrosion.

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

i had a customer that swore it worked.as i was doing thousands of dollars of rust repair on his car.[​IMG]

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

7. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I found this surfing the net just a while ago.

Q: Does the "RustEvader" or "something" which "charges" a car body to prevent rust?

Rust (cancer, rot) is an oxidation/reduction reaction. When there are metals involved and charges you get a flow of electrons. All metals are ranked on an electrochemical potential scale. When you have 2 different metals together, there is electron flow from the anode (-) to the cathode (+). Along with this, the anode metal corrodes (disintegrates, oxidises), which in the case of iron, is called rust.

The theory of the "RustEvader" is to pick a metal which is anodic to steel -- this is called a "sacrificial anode" and it will be oxidised while the car body is unharmed. Theory sounds good, and was used on ocean (salts) going ship which had .. say copper rivets with iron hulls.

The problem with applying the same approach to car is that rust on car is much more localised ox/red reaction. At each paint chip, you get a local galvanic cell which will be its own circuit, which will not include the sacrificial anode. In fact, on an atomic scale, alloys "rust" between atoms within the lattice structure if there is some charge carrier (salts) and different metals.

Paint, when intact seals out charge carriers (salts) thus preventing the ox/red reaction, but ... when broken by chips allows local reactions which will not be protected by the "sacrificial anode" because they are very localised reactions. The aforementioned old boats are floating in the charges (all metals are connected by contact to sea water) and therefore the copper rivets can be saved by picking a more anodic metal than copper (I think magnesium worked?) Enough said.

Grind it 'till you find it