Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does vacuum pump control auto locking hubs??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by dallassnowman, Oct 22, 2003.

1. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

Read something today , made me wonder, cause my pump doesnt work and 2 months ago had a problem with hubs locking in.
    Does the vacuum pump control the hubs?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    6.2 diesel, 1982

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Nope. Vacuum pump provides vacuum to operate CC and heater controls. I would also assume that a diesel truck equipped with a TH350 or a TH400 would still have a vacuum modulator.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Read something today , made me wonder, cause my pump doesnt work and 2 months ago had a problem with hubs locking in.
    Does the vacuum pump control the hubs?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    6.2 diesel, 1982

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely no
    There is no connection between the axles and the engine, not on those GM's at least.
    The Jeeps at one time had a Vacuum activated center disconnect, but not GM's.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Definitely no
    There is no connection between the axles and the engine, not on those GM's at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

GM's did, look at the 80's model S10\S10 Blazer 4x4 their frontend was vacuum controlled.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Definitely no

[/ QUOTE ]

GM's did, look at the 80's model S10\S10 Blazer 4x4 their frontend was vacuum controlled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well good thing I said "not those GM's at least"
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know never to say never, nobody knows everything.

Plus I don't like to talk about the small GM's /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Full size is where I concentrate my attention.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dallassnowman

Ok so how hard is it to replace the vacuum pump??
    And how hard to replace the hubs??

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well the vacuum pump is easy, it's like removing a distributor only you don't need to worry about indexing it for timing.
    The hubs is a different question, I can do it blind folded but it's because I have done so many.
    And I suggest you replace it with a manual hub for durability, it's not as convenient but much stronger.

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The pump is behind the intake manifold. I don't believe its too hard to change.

Hubs.

EASY. Take the hex screws off the hub cap, take the lock ring out. Remove hub. Put new hub in. Put lock ring back in. Put new hub cap on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

P.S. Do a search in the main forums. I think they actually have pictures of set by step now!!

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Vacuum pump is easy like said above. Onbolt one bolt, remove clip, pull vacuum pump out. installing in reverse order. May take a few tries to get the gears to line up, but a very simple swap. 15 min max /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. dallassnowman

Cool Thanks everyone /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Guess I know where my MONEY is goin next /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif