Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does your e-brake cable hit your exhaust?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RedDwarf, May 22, 2002.

1. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

mine is, and it's starting to annoy me. I am thinking of taking it off, though I'd rather not (I may actually fix the e-brake someday....)

Any suggestions?

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

What e-brake cable? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ken H.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had this problem with custom duals on my 80 and I now have it on my custom duals 78. The 80 I made my own "loop/eye" for the cable to run though that routed it away from the exhaust as well as modify the other originals. I am planning on doing the same to the 78. I shortened and rebent some of the original "loops/eyes" that hook to the frame, and then I made one out of some round stock at the hardware store. $5.00, a little time, and trial-by-error /forums/images/icons/wink.gif and they don't rub any more on the exhaust. Since most exhausts are different, you are going to have to do some custom reworking to get yours not to hit.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

My K30 has "loop eyes" down the outside of the frame rail which control how the cable runs. Maybe all long beds? Not sure, never noticed before. Only reason I noticed now is that I’ve moved the rear axle way forward and I’m trying to figure out what to do with the cable. Anyway, for some reason it's riveted on so it would be a pain to get one in a “u-pull-it”. But, if you could get one or two of those things bolted to your frame, you could route pretty much where you want it.

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

That's what I figured.

I tracked the noise to a bad muffler actually (cheap turbo) and replaced it with a Thrush today. It sounds better.

I still want to fix up the cable though. Guess I will have to make some of your "custom loop eyes"

Thanks for the replies gang /forums/images/icons/smile.gif