Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doesn't anyone make repro rear interior panels?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Aug 27, 2000.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Doesn\'t anyone make repro rear interior panels?

Hi all - I have the LMC Truck, YearOne.com, and JC Whitney catalogs and checked with the Dealer too. Doesn't anyone make reproduction panels for the rear interior of Blazers and Jimmys? Mine were missing when I purchased my rig, and would like to get some new ones to insulate my truck with (it can get to -50 degrees here in Alaska during the winter). Looks like i may have to make my own wooden ones or diamond-plate. - Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Re: Doesn\'t anyone make repro rear interior panels?

Hey Gary.....I think no one make repos 'cause the originals were crappy to begin with! There are some good ideas for some over in the audio section.....I will make my own.....someday. I do think a guy from Golden State said they had 'em for '70-'72's....ya might check with them. http://www.gspp.com

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Cheyenne Pickup Parts (cheyennepickup.com) has them for $349.00. I'm building a set that matches the interior and will have a total of $60.00 invested plus a little sweat equity (manual labor).

4. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I've searched pretty well everywhere, I had some Amish guys make me a set using my old ones as templates. Awesome craftsmanship and durability. 50.00 each. "Here art thine panels, Happy Wheeling"!

"who dares wins"

5. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Last year I was looking for these panels through GM. Two dealerships said they didn't make them anymore, but I did find one that found them listed under two-door Suburban. Ya, sounds crazy, but he said their are many older parts listed in strange places. Their warehouse in WV had 'em. I decided to make my own, GM wants $100 each.

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Gary
    I agree with the others. Mine were wet and falling apart when I took them out and the only reason they're not in the garbage yet is they have to serve as templates first. I am going to make some out of 1/4" plywood too and carpet them to match the interior. Should be much stronger and more durable than the stock stuff!

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

7. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

When i had my Blazer i made mine from luan (sp?).1/4" thick 4x8 sheet of luan.I just traced, stained and poly'd them up and they came out very nice.Then i stuffed insulation in the wheelwells.I used stainless screws and washers to pretty it up.Very durable...later

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Yo Archer,

Do you have pics of the ones you had the Amishmake for you ? I'd like to see them, there is an Amish community near my sister's place and thought if they were nice I'd check with them.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hey if it gets that cold your better off making your own the original ones would just warp and rot out.

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

hehehe, mine didn't even come with the panels. LOL, I don't even know what they look like. I'm kinda used to it that way.[​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

If your primary use for them is insulation, you should make your own. Pretty much any material you use will insulate better than the factory cardboard. I agree with the other posts, use 1/4" plywood and fill it with a high R-value insulation. There's about 3-4 inches between the fender and the panel so you should be able to get R13 or R15 insulation in there without compressing it.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

12. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

as everyone has already said....use 1/4" plywood, but i used "great stuff" between the panel and the inner fender.......man, that 'great stuff' is......great stuff!!!!!

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

13. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

what sort of carpeting did everyone use? And what techniques were used in applying it..ie stales?nails?glue?etc.....I,m thinking of doing mine, but im not sure what tools I'll need to do this.