Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doesn't turn left?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pipeline, Mar 21, 2007.

1. pipeline

pipeline 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok I just installed zero rates on the front of my 77 k5. I moved the axle forward one inch. I have tried adjusting the streering but it didn't help much. It turns right really well. Has anyone had this problem?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You need to adjust the draglink. If you still have the stock push/pull steering your draglink may not have enough adjustment.

3. pipeline

Yes I still have the stock setup. I guess I need to adjust the draglink some more.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You may an entirely different length draglink , a custom one , if you even want to try using stock steering .

badass90k5 just went through this , not enough adjustment there once the axle is forward . he went crossover .

5. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

3 rights make a left!:D and x2 on the draglink. Or just center the axle until you change your setup.(if you were planning on it.) I believe you can buy draglinks for it that are adjustable farther than stock. I know when i replaced mine it had quite a bit of adjustment to it. But a custom one may be the way to go. That is all up to you.

6. pipeline

I got to looking at the direction the tires were pointing and found they were not pointing the same. The left front tire was pointing a little to the right while the right front tire was straight. I adjusted the drag link as far as it would go. So I then went to the tie rod which was bent. I bent it back straight but that didn't change the direction of the left front tire either. I then tried to adjust the tie rod which all it seemed to do was move the right front wheel. So now both tires are pointed in the same direction but still turns better to the right. I guess this is what I'm going to have to live with for now. I do plan on installing crossover in the future when I install a D60.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Your stock draglink is now exactly ONE INCH too long!!!

Think about it, the axle is forward an inch now, so it makes sense that you can't turn correctly.....the draglink needs to get shorter to compensate.

Remove the center adjusting sleeve from the draglink and cut 1" off....(if there aren't enough threads to do 1" from one side, do 1/2" from both sides. Do yourself and take a measurement of the overall length of the draglink before you disassemble it.....then when you cut and re-assemble, make sure that the overall size is 1" shorter than your previous measurement.

BTW -> Don't feel bad, the only reason I know all this is because I had the same problem with my stock steering when I installed new front springs which moved the axle forward 1".... :doah:

BTW#2 -> The stock draglink is already too short and you get a lot of bumpsteer with it. Once you cut it down, the problem will get worse.... Crossover steering is the "real" solution, but you can at least get your steering back by doing what I suggested above.

:usaflag:

8. pipeline

Thanks for the advice. I fixed the problem by removing the adjusting sleeve and cutting 1/2 in. from each end. Then reassembled and tested.

9. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

How's it handle?

10. pipeline

I've only taken it around the block. And I didn't drive to fast with no windsheild. So I don't know how much it has changed anything yet.

11. AJMBLAZER

Keep us updated. I'd like to do this but can't afford crossover by any means.

12. pipeline

I got to test out my steering and it was like it was before without zero rates. Well I got to drive till I broke my rear drive shaft on a rock.

13. AJMBLAZER

Nice. Thanks for getting back to us.

Now, just to be sure, you cut half an inch off of each of the drag link's threads or half an inch off of each end of the adjuster?

14. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

i drove mine for a couple of weeks with the draglink not adjusted quite right.. and my truck earned the nickname of zoolander from my friends.
    glad to hear you got your steering working. sorry to hear about your driveshaft though. mine fell off the transfercase two days ago at about 50mph.:doah:

15. pipeline

I cut 1/2 in. off of the drag link threads. I didn't cut the adjustor. A fellow ck5er built me a Square tubed drive shaft yesterday. I'll be able to test it out in a couple of weeks.

16. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Cutting the adjuster would just make less thread engagement ... the problem is that the two ends would butt up against each.

Still scares me, but :dunno:

-- A

17. AJMBLAZER

I'm still new to this SFA stuff. Looking back the answer to my question was kind of obvious but hey...what do ya do...

Dremu, come drive my truck if you want to be scared by the steering.:D