Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doesn't Want to Run

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sjvcon, Nov 4, 2004.

1. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Doesn\'t Want to Run

Looking for some additional ideas on a problem. My carb'd engine does not want to run. Truck has sat for an extended period of time. It ran "ok", not great, before going into storage. I know that it needs a new carb, but the one on it was "functioning". I am thinking maybe the fuel has gotten water in it from condensation (although the tank is still pretty full), or maybe the fuel went bad (which sometimes happens in the Arizona due to the heat). Any other suggestions. Need to get it running well enough to move it. Right now I can cripple it just above idle before it dies.

2. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

Re: Doesn\'t Want to Run

how much gas in the tank??? drain the tank, pick ya up about 5 gallons of some 93 oct and 2 cans of Sea Foam...Pour one can in the tank and use the other to pour down the carb once you get it runnin...

3. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

It's a 60 Gallon Tank (custom) and is near to full ... probably 45+ gallons in there. Never heard of Sea Foam. Is that available in AZ??

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You could run a hose from a gas can to the fuel pump intake hose,and see if it will run on fresh gas from the can--if it runs ok that way,you will probably have to drain the tank,it may have water in it like you said--I'm not familiar with arizona's climate,but if it gets cool at night and hot during the day its a good bet there is quite a bit of water in the tank from condensaton.Also todays gas seems to go sour a lot faster than the stuff we had many years ago when it was leaded gas--adding a whole bottle of "Sta-Bil" will revive gas if its not that bad--but if its already turned to shellac,you have a lot of work ahead of you--pulling and cleaning the tank,lines,and carb.I'd try getting it to run on the fresh gas,then you might be able to burn the gas thats in the tank once the engine has warmed up some--a few bottles of dry gas (isopropanol)will help the water to pass through the system.Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's a 60 Gallon Tank (custom) and is near to full ... probably 45+ gallons in there. Never heard of Sea Foam. Is that available in AZ??

[/ QUOTE ]

damn man...60 gals makes for quite the ass heavy truck on the trails!! u use this vehicle for long distance runs or something!???

Sea Foam can be found at most auto parts stores...over in their oil/gas additives section...like the above posts states, if the fuel has thickend, ur gonna have a prob...the fact that you have 45 plus gallons in that thing "may" have saved you...put a hose in the tank and siphon some out and check it's color, feel and smell...those 3 things are going let you know what the next PAINFULL steps are going to be...

Sea Foam is one of the better crankcase/Fuel additives out there...it's a good battle between that name and Marvel...

6. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

The tank was inherited. I am planning on a new tank with my engine swap if I can ever find the right truck to get an injected 454 out of. I guess I will give the clean gas thing a shot to see if that works. If it does I'll have to break out the 55 gallon drum and see where I can pick up a handcrank siphon. What a joy. Guess I should have paid more attention and drove the thing a bit over the last 10+ months.

7. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Anyone know what to do with 45+ gallons of bad fuel in AZ???