Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doetsch Shocks..who's using them?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big pappa b, Aug 5, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Doetsch Shocks..who\'s using them?

If you use them like I'm planning with my 4" TC EZ rides/Shackle flip, what part numbers work best with this setup?
    I'm thinking of using the 8403's along some longer bumpstops if I need to worry about them bottoming out

Thoughts??

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Doetsch Shocks..who\'s using them?

Doetch Tech is the only way to go. Hate to say it... but you should search on it! There were quite a few questions around doestch tech vs. rancho about 6-8 months ago IIRC. Check those out! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

3. big pappa b

Oh, I did. I was just curious what other were using. I know the 8403 offer more travel but they also have their preferred #'s to use...not necessarily what other ore using. I saw one post about not having a shock with too much travel so you don't bottom out. Looking for experiences mostly with my similar setup

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Im curious too.
    Was thinking of getting them and using the Ford extended front towers but not sure about the rear. I heard 55Willys makes a shock mount setup for the rear. I dont know if those shocks are too long for the stock mount.

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have 8403s in the rear of my truck and thye are just about perfect length.
    I have about 6.5" rear lift. My shock mounts are rewelded to the axle tube a little higher than stock, so they don't hang down but are in basically stock location.

So yeah, they can work with stock.

I had 55willy's rear kit and it's nice to use if you have less lift.

-- Mike

6. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I have the HV-1's remote res. w/7/8"shafts 36" ext. My beast uses all the travel out of them. Beefy I must say. Getting the valving right was a pain in the butt. DT was listening but not doing. Took 3 times and I had to pay all 3 times + shipping both ways each time. Lets say I have a $600 set of shocks!(2) /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif They should be gold! I want a matching set for the rear but I spent all the dough on the fronts. Do not talk to Mario there he seems preocupied and can't get it right.

7. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just ordered some DT's for my 83 K5 with 4" of lift. Turns out my Ranchos were hitting at full droop in the rear, and they were 26.5" at full extension. I got 8368's for the rear now, which extend to 29.5, so I should have plenty. They are an inch longer at full compression though (17 vs. 16). I think I have no issue there though, especially with the huge energy suspension bump stops.

On the front I'm switching from duals to singles o nthe recommendation of people on this forum. I'm going to keep the front (long) shock in the front, using DT8265. It's a half inch longer compressed than what rancho suggests, but it's 2.25" longer (14.5 to 24.5").

Don't know if this helps, but that's how I did it. Rancho's that came with my lift kit were too short all around and seemed to have room to go on compression.

8. big pappa b

Yeah, those are the kind of replies I want /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I was thinking 8403's on the rear if I went with an Echobit Flip but then again I was wanting to move my shock mounts higher as well so the 8368's may be a better choice. still deciding on the front ones although they call for 8163.

Thanks

9. big pappa b

TxMudder: I like that air box you have...too bad it's $100
    Have you found anything similar for less?

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I like the shocks but my front piston shafts rusted out over the winter and the truck was not even driven at all. I would make sure to clean them every once in awhile and hit them with some spray lubricant too.

I contacted Douche Tech and they said I would have to send the shocks to them and then they would let me know if they would be warranteed after some testing; I just ordered some new 8403's from Summit for $34 a peice; cheaper and easier than dealing with Douche! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

BTW!
    4" ezrides, shackle flip, and DT 8403's in the pic below.
    [​IMG]

11. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Are you running the 8403 on the stock front mounts or do you have the extended towers?

12. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

extended towers on the front.

13. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I like that air box you have...too bad it's $100
    Have you found anything similar for less?

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked for a while before I bought this one. I don't think you're going to do any better than that.
    It does work pretty well /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Again, for anyone doing the same, make SURE the inlets go UP to the filter housing, not down.
    -- Mike

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I'd go with Sway-A-Way myself. I've always wanted to go with a motorcycle or ATV shock from White Brothers, Works, Showa, or Fox or something.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about Doetsch Enterprises. Even from the ricers I know.

Everything from sending girly shocks that you bend if you breathe on them wrong, wrong rate springs, insanely wrong valving... the list goes on.

Customer service? haha. hahahaha. haha.

One man's disaster with Mario and friends:
    http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/dosearch.php?Cat=&Forum=All_Forums&Words=Hunt4Steve&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts