Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doetsch Tech shocks - anyone run them?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Topdown, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I am reading decent things about them... the 3000 series are supposed to be nice and soft while the 8000 series are supposed to be firmer... no idea about the 9000 series yet.

So... does anyone run them? Thoughts on them? They are a helluva lot less than Rancho's ... which I wont be buying again, too expensive and dont last worth a damn.

All opinions and even different suggestions gladly accepted.

I am looking for a decent shock for my project thats inexpensive but not sh*tty and cheap

Thanks
    -Ryan

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think shocks are one of those things where you get what you pay for. In the $30 range you get the DTech's, ES3000's and a few others. Usually twin tube and likely made by the same manufacturer.

A decent shock would be mono-tube, but you're getting into the $70-$100 range for those.

Every extra feature that makes them work really good makes them cost more and more.

I'll likely throw some ES3000's on my truck and save for Bilsteins. I don't pretend to be a shock expert, but when talking to Dr. Watson he talks about the digressive valving the Bilsteins have a lot. If it was all hype or BS I doubt Stephen would be taken in by it...

I have Alcan's waiting to go under my truck, so I'm in the parts collecting stage. Shocks in the 14-16" stroke range are on my list of stuff to buy.

Rene

3. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

Dunno about those, but I'm running the $25 dollar autozone gabriels with the life time warranty, ride quality is decent, though not outstanding, and can't complain about the price. Don't remember the part number, but they'll handle a 6-7 inch lift. Do a search here to find the part number.

4. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i had them on a cherokee i built. very nice soft ride. the xj i had with 5.5 inches lift rode better than the tj i had with all coils. the shock in my opinion are very nice for a leaf sprung vehicle and i will be putting them on my k5 when i get off my rear and finish the lift. look at it this way, for the price they;'re worth checking out and i believe they have a lifetime warranty, but i may be incorrect. like i said, i'll be buying them (again)for my k5.

5. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I have the 8000 series in the back of my jimmy. I think it rides better now then with the rancho 5000's under there. :thinking:

6. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Used to run them on our 75 K5 with 14 inches of spring lift, if I remember correctly they were the 9000's but geesh that was so long ago. The whole truck was stiff with no flex don't know if the shocks had anything to do with it but they were a durable shock. Yes price had alot to do with why we ran them :D