Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doetsch tech?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just got my DT8000's today from Summit. I'm not so impressed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1) They came with no hardware at all, so I'll have to resue my old rusty hardware that Rancho actually did provide 6 years ago.

2) What's with the bump stop things on the shaft part? Do people just cut them off? Even if they are useful for something, they were painted white and half the paint has already flaked off.

3) One of them is partially seized or something. I couldn't pull it open until I hooked it around my tow hook and put my weight into it. I can't close it without resting it against the ground and leaning on it. Should I expect it to loosen up, or is it trash that I need to return?

4) Just a nit, but the part number is noplace on the actual shock. If I ever forget what part number I used, I'm out of luck. Heck, if I got 3 kinds to include both of the front duals I could get confused and have to measure them to figure out what's what again.

This is so lame. I've already been driving without one shock for a week. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Guess you get what you pay for (vs. RS9000's).

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I just got my DT8000's today from Summit. I'm not so impressed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1) They came with no hardware at all, so I'll have to resue my old rusty hardware that Rancho actually did provide 6 years ago.

2) What's with the bump stop things on the shaft part? Do people just cut them off? Even if they are useful for something, they were painted white and half the paint has already flaked off.

3) One of them is partially seized or something. I couldn't pull it open until I hooked it around my tow hook and put my weight into it. I can't close it without resting it against the ground and leaning on it. Should I expect it to loosen up, or is it trash that I need to return?

4) Just a nit, but the part number is noplace on the actual shock. If I ever forget what part number I used, I'm out of luck. Heck, if I got 3 kinds to include both of the front duals I could get confused and have to measure them to figure out what's what again.

This is so lame. I've already been driving without one shock for a week. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Guess you get what you pay for (vs. RS9000's).

[/ QUOTE ]

1) my DT8000s came with hardware... too much hardware in fact, there was stuff in there to attach the shocks to any kind of rig ever made.

2) they are there to stop a shock from bottoming out HARD and getting damaged, if you dont like them they are super easy to cut off... whats the big deal?

3) return it.

4) custom mount your shocks and just order the longest ones DT makes... thats how I did it, i dont really care what the part# is.

btw, where did you get these from? with the bogus shock and no hardware Im thinking maybe a shady dealer. I got mine from WTO... and had no problems at all...

j

3. Mastiff

I got them from Summit. I've only had good luck with them in the past.

You're right that the bump stops are no big deal. It just caught me off guard since they appeared to be almost 2" longer at full compression than I planned on. That and they look like crap with all the paint bubbled up and flaking off.

I hate it when I'm ready to get going on a project and something like this sets me back a week. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I know how you feel getting trash parts and trying to figure out what you wanna do. But I would return them.

5. Mastiff

Yeah, I'm going to return it. I'm going to keep the ones that are working and just replace the seized one. I thought it might loosen up, but the more I worked it in and out, the worse it seemed to get. Great quality control. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

A few install questions. Is it normal to install the DT's upside down in the rear, at least driver's side? I found that the shock body would interfere and prevent installation right side up.

In the front, for people with factory duals going to single, can you use the longer/forward of the two positions and still put the shock in the bracket on the axle? Or do you have to mount it like it originally was, outside the bracket and attached with a long bolt?