Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dog food tech

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

So what is a good quality dog food? Something better than the Purina stuff you get at the grocery stores. The stuff is pretty much all filler and basically as healthyas fast food for dogs. My mom has been telling me to get "human grade" dog food. Any opinions on that? Any recomendations? Dog is about a year and half old, 60lbs or so and in good shape. Very active.

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

eukanuba is the cats ass. made by iam's. i have givin that to my dogs for over 13 years.hardly any vet visits.:laugh:

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

We buy science diet, if you end up buying the cheap stuuf the dog just has to eat more of it to get the same amount of nutrition and then they just poop more...

4. boggerless

OH,and they like it.:D it;s around a $1.00 a pound,but what you save in sickly dogs is well worth it.

5. Zeus33rd

My mom is a member on this Boxer website cause she has a boxer. My dog is a boxer mix, so I thought I'd do some reasearch there-

http://www.boxer-dog.org/chat/viewforum.php?f=29

I think most of the info there applies to other breeds as well. Alot of good reading.

6. Zeus33rd

From my searching, this brand is mentioned alot.
    http://www.canidae.com/

My mom feeds this to her boxer too. I think I might give it a shot. It looks like about $30-35 for 40lbs from an online place. Theres a dealer int own, I imagine it'll be alittle more there. :D

7. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Like Boggerless said. Eukenuba. Or, Science Diet, Nutro...anything high grade. They get more nutrition, have smaller stools, and stay healthy.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I feed mine Canidae too. Always been high quality. I pay $29 for 40 pounds.

9. boggerless

it sounds good,like i said i've used eukanuba for years so i'm sure there are better products out there.i met a guy in the food store and he told me the food he uses has little waste coming out 'O' scraps butt.and i could never remember the brand name.:doah: eukanuba is naturally preserved. i don't have an empty bag hand to see if there is a large amount of filler,if any.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

We buy eukinuba from petco... seems to be the best that weve used for our dogs (a golden retriever and a belgian malinois) they both have excellent coats and never stink. these are both signs of an excellent diet. anyone whos had a retriever know the musty smell they can get. ones we switched these guys over to good food (at first we fed them some wally world crap) it made a world of differnace.

11. boggerless

BERN, where you been brother?

12. Zeus33rd

13. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Dog food, is like truck parts...you get what you pay for... I myself feed Black Gold.....It's good quality but still reasonably priced. Before that I fed Diamond brand, good stuff also.

14. boggerless

exactly, some stuff ,like the old purina my dogs would sniff and walk away. even gottie won't eat the NAMEbrands. gotta be good stuff or else.i can't use the waste in the yard argument cuz my wife feeds numbnuts people food and treats all the time.:rolleyes: but my rotts never had to deal with that.:laugh: they only listened to daddy cuz i had them years before i met the wife.:bow: man i miss them.:(

15. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

We have used Science diet, eukanuba and Iams, we settled on Iams. My two wouldnt eat science diet puppy food and it seemed to increase their shedding problem. They have been on Iams for two years now, and no problems, other than the landmines in the yard:D

16. boggerless

i forgot,you can get IAM'S brand at some grocery stores. not eukanuba but the same peeps.but i will say after 13 years with my rotts being on eukanuba since being weened from mummsy. no vet visits.they died of old age.

17. TexasA&Mblazer

TexasA&Mblazer 1/2 ton status

Another vote for Eukanuba. Been feedin it to our dogs ever since we've had dogs. You get what you pay for. :D

18. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I also say Eukanuba. Saydi is healthy as ever and is full of energy (and mischeif) she needs it to chase the cat around the house :haha: Stool is smallish and always healthy. Once she is bigger we will move her to the adult formula forsure.

19. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Our 10 yr old dane / lab mix gets bil - jac dry food. We also give him glucosamine , and he bounds around like a pup.

He pukes if we give him Iams, or eukanuba.

we feed him several small meals thru the day, rather than one big meal, and treats are kept to a minimum. we don't want him to get fat. he's 72 pounds right now, and we keep him right around there.

fishdog 007.jpg

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Alright thats just fricken genius, glucosamine works for me real well it only makes sense that the same should apply for a dog. Is there doggy gluco??? Also smaller rations of food more times a day and no treats makes alot of sense as well...;)