Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dog Hair

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 3 on the tree, Dec 12, 2004.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I spent 45 minutes today trying to get dog hair off the couch. My dog is large(100Lbs) and has long white hair, which she sheds constantly. We have already killed 2 vacumms cleaning up her hair, and I'm getting tired of buying a new vacuum every six months. Anyone out there got a sure fire method of dealing with this problem. Don't tell me to get rid of the dog cause that ain't gonna happen. She's the best dog I ever had, just has her little quirks.

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

We have the same problem too. I guess it goes with the teriorty with having dogs inside. are vacums only last about a year or so. and we can't really keep him outside he's getting old and he's starting to get Arthritis.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

1) Throws on the couch - keep clean ones to replace the ones that get dirty so always covered.
    2) Pet hair brush - this rubber short bristled brush works better than anything else I've tried. Got mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I haven't needed to try anything else since I got it. Much better than a typical vacuum.
    3) Mix some fabric softener in water in a spray bottle and spray on couch then wipe pet hair off with your hand (color test first)
    4) To get to hair in tight places, wipe it up with your hand in a rubber glove.

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Here's my hundred pound hair machine...... :D

[​IMG]

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Just tell people what I tell them......... If you don't like the dog hair, stay off the couch.

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

we brush roxy with a peice of inner tube, takes the excess hair right out

7. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

#1 Wash dog often, at least once or twice a week. I tend to get the majority of my dogs white hair when I wash her. It helps alot.

#2 As mentioned before. Any type of rubber glove maybe w/ bristles. The hair seems to stick easier to the rubber for some reason.

#3 Get a bagless vac and clean the filters and canister often. That will keep your vac from getting destroyed.

I have a 40lb pitbull (white) and she has short white hairs all over the place. If I let her ride in my truck one time there is a hair carpet that covers the seat. But like you said there is no way in hell I would every git rid of her. Maybe get one of those hose attachments on your vac that has a motorized roller brush and can get the hair of your couch.
    Good luck!

8. landsmasher

Dog hair for sale... All interested parties just PM me... :frown1:

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I killed our old 12 amp Eureka upright . We got the yellow vacuum , bagless with a second motor for the rollerbrush from wal-mart next , called The Boss . It sucks hair great , goes into a clear container with handle , and I have yet to kill this one . :k5: :k5:

10. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    We use the lint roller things you can buy at walmart. They have tear off sticky paper. Roll it around on the couch or your black pants that you sat on the couch in and tear off a square and throw it away. They are like 3 to 4 bucks a piece.

11. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Giving a dog a bath that often is not good for them. Will dry out their skin fast and give them problems.

Ken H.

12. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I have heard that about dog's like lab's and chesapeaks, that have naturally oily skin but I have never heard that about pits. I give mine a bath about once a week. I don't think thats too often, but who knows I'll ask the vet when I take her to the vet next week for her shots.:D

13. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I have a pitbull with a lot of white on her and a German Shepherd mix with that fluffy undercoat that sticks to everything! I use those sticky roller brush things on the couch and my clothes -- you can get a pack of 4 or 5 of them at Costco for about $7.

I also found what I think is the greatest invention ever! I can't use it on the pit because she freaks out at the noise, but my GS LOVES to be vacuumed!:thinking: He now has his own shopvac and this attachment. I haven't tried the attachment on the furniture yet, but it's supposed to remove hair from upholstery pretty well.

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Keep your dog outside........

15. landsmasher

My dog is an indoor dog... She's part of the family... :xmas:

16. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

A good friend of mine has a black lab.....the shedding was horrible, then his GF moved in, and talked him into takeing her to the groomers for a shave! His hair is now about 1/2 in long. He doesn't seem to loose so much now <shrug> maybe ya just don't notice it as much. (he is an indoor dog too-so the cold isn't much of an issue)

17. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

My dog wants to eat my vaccume no way that attachment thing would work on her. I would keep my dog outside, but I'm afraid someone will steal her. If we lived out in BFE I would let her run around cause she always comes back. But I would not want to do that in the city.