Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dog issues... Updated; betrayal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 7, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

How do you guys keep your dog's off the counter?

Our retarded beast has eaten more dish towels, plastic kids cups, and pot holders than we can remember... My wife can't fold towels right anymore cause the corners are all chewed off... You literally can't turn your back for a second. We have zones on the counter that we know she can't reach where we put stuff.
    I'm thinking of running some 30 amp cable through some grooves in the counter top and then leaving aluminum foil on it... The beatings haven't been working. But she knows when she's done something, sometimes before we do... We walk into the kitchen for a drink and she slinks off to her cage looking back from the corner of her eye...

She's a 90lb rat.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Re: Dog issues...

How bout squirting her with some water? Works for cats... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Won't work, I've already immunized her to that by torturing her with the garden hose yesterday...

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

lemon juice in a squirt gun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

OK....how about getting a shorter dog?

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Too attached to this one! She's a good dog when you can see her!

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

My wifes boss had the same problem so he bought a Scatmat. It looks similar to a heating pad but it gives a small shock if you touch it. I think he bought his at a petstore, but you might be able to find one online.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Second the Scat Mat. I've successfully used bread soaked in Bitter Apple and slathered with cayenne pepper placed where they were looking for food or wiped on areas they chewed. Cured 'em.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'll check out the scatmat. We've tried cayenne pepper, but she can smell it and ignores it. The bitter apple worked good, I forgot about it. We still have some, too.

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    She's a 90lb rat

[/ QUOTE ]
    How bout a 30 gram piece of lead?

Get a shock coller w/ the wire or remote,
    go buy a farm fence (electric) Control box and run the wire along the edge of the counter mabey a little below (watch out kids!!!!!!)

other that that.... if you catch him slather a tea spoon of salt on his tounge he wont like it. and mabey remember

11. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my 90 lb dog. I saw this trick on tv and decided to try it. Get some double sided tape and run it along the top edge of the counter. They hate the way it feels when they touch it. Just leave it up on the counter for a few weeks (replacing when it doesn't feel tacky anymore) and your dog should be cured. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And if you want to have some extra fun, put a strip of tape on her back near her tail. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

My mom and dad had a problem with their cat going where it shouldn't, so they put spring loaded mouse traps in those places. After a couple times getting snapped the cat wouldn't go near them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifMaybe it will work for dogs? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I've always found that once you knock the hell out of them they arent as eager to do it again /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

We have an 80 lb dane/black lab mix. When we resuced him,he was an outside dog with little or no manners. He would take stuff off the counter, crap where he wanted even though he was housebroken, you name it.. the beatings didn't work, because he is too big to care.. what worked was crate training. We got him a cage big enough for him to stand up and turn around in, and put some carpeting in there. BTW, we also had to zip tie the corners,and take his collar off because he was good at escaping through the cage..hell, if he had thumbs, he could have opened the latch himself. We'd leave him in the cage while we were gone, and we'd leave the cage door open so he would sleep in it at night if he wanted. It's funny, when we tell him to "go to his room" he walks over and stands where the crate used to be.

The crate gave the dog peace of mind that he had a place of his own, and after a few months he calmed down and now has run of the house and all he does when we're gone is sleep on the couch. Crate training and regular playtime always works. forget the shock collars.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I agree, Also I would say it takes constant disaplin (sp)to train a dog well. I have thre large dogs the smallest is 70lbs (pit) and the larges being A Fila , at 165 lbs. I treat my dogs like they are wild and I am the Alpha dog.
    And sometimes I have to knock the piss out of them. Noe vey often. When I am really upset I will take the dog by the throua and put him to the ground and hold him there. Not choking, but with frim pressure. They WILL submit if they know you are the ALPHA. Hold them there for a bit of time. Then let them go.
    Just my .02, but I will say this, anyone that knows me knows I command the respect of my Dogs, they think I walk on water and are very well behaved. they are a very big part of our daily life in my family and are very spoiled. As a mttaer of fact the Suerte, the Fila is curled at my feet right now snoring!!!

16. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Second the mousetraps... Had a mutant Purebred yellow lab, 135 lbs of pure muscle, dumb enough that even shock collars didn't work on him. Couple of mousetraps on the counter and he never did it again.

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Frigging hysterical update:

I go into the kitchen this morning and put on the counter my t shirt and underwear I'm going to wear after I shower. I run into the other room for a minute, and when I come back into the kitchen, I see Roxy (the rat) slinking off toward her crate looking back at me like she thinks I'm going to smack her. I laugh and say "Geez Roxy, you make me look like an abusive master! Don't worry, I'm not going to hit you." and I walk toward her cage to scratch her ears.

Inside her cage is MY FRIGGIN UNDERWEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TURNED MY BACK FOR 2 SECONDS!!!!

Needless to say she got a smack on the snout and crated for a little while.

And what kills me is that she knows she did something wrong by the way she reacted like I yelled at her when I walked in all fat dumb and happy.

By the way, to head off the comments: The owender was clean, strait from the wash, no I didn't wear it after she slobbered all over it.

18. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I dont let our dog in the house, just on the enclosed porch. He knows when he gets to the wood floor he cant come any further. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The rat or a dog stole your undergarments?

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My 90-lb rat, aka, my dog...