Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dog lovers, drop a line...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, May 3, 2006.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Now I'm not the smartest guy on the block, and I'm no veterinarian. However, I think there must be a better way to handle this situation. A vote by hand raise of four vets is hardly justification. Why kill 80 dogs when only a small amount are actually sick? Why cause such panic and go to such great lengths when the chances of a dog even getting sick from this virus are small if the dog even catches it?

The Cheyenne Animal Shelter, which has a "no-kill" policy, was criticized last year for putting a dog to sleep within 24 hours of bringing it in. The dog was picked up as a stray, determined to be "aggressive" after provocation in an unnatural environment, and put to sleep before the owner of the dog even had a chance to go to the shelter to ask about the dog. No attempt was made to find and contact the owner. Now they're putting down 80 dogs, many of which are most likely adoptable.

I don't know how much say the city has in who runs that place, but I do know that the City Council approved over $30,000 last year for the shelter. On top of that, the shelter brings in over $100,000 a year in private donations. Last year, a gift of $1,000,000 was given. As well as those sources of income, their adoption fees range between $35-$395 per dog.

The shelter is using tax money collected from Cheyenne workers, and donations from citizens. The Cheyenne Animal Shelter is a 501 (c) (3) private, non-profit corporation.

It's probably too late for the 80 dogs, but it'd be great if anyone who agrees that the shelter needs to be run more responsibly would drop a line to the following people:

Cheyenne City Council:
    citycouncil@cheyennecity.org

Cheyenne Animal Shelter:
    800 Southwest Drive
    Cheyenne, WY 82007
    Phone: 307-632-6655
    Fax: 307-634-7361

Alan Cohen, the director, doesn't have his e-mail address listed on the website, but hopefully he reads mail sent to him. I would put "ATTN: Alan Cohen" on the envelope.

Thanks for reading :D

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry, they are just animals and they have no feelings.

I feel a debate coming on!!!:haha:

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Hrm... I've seen that thread, but never looked in it til now :)

I think Pauly383k10 had a good point:
    Since animals don't really have the choice to live or die, especially when they're in the care of humans, and they don't really know what's happening with them, it's up to the humans in charge of them to decide what is best for their well-being. Making a life-or-death situation for another creature who has no say at all should only be done by someone who is competent, responsible, and has the best interest of the animal in mind.

It sounds to me like Alan Cohen was just looking for the quickest and cheapest solution.