Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dog nutrition question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, Mar 31, 2007.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I have an 11 month old border collie/chocolate lab mix who eats dry puppy food. She's about 30 lbs. Lately though, she's started to gain weight, despite the fact that she's a pretty active dog. She lives with my parents and goes running with my mom on a pretty daily basis, and plays with other neighborhood dogs.

It seems to me like the puppy food has too much fat content and I should start her on adult dog food. Any expert/experienced advice?

2. Brodie

Brodie 1/2 ton status

At 11 mo it's definately time to switch to adult formula. Start mixing in the adult formula from the same brand, gradually using more of the adult and less of the puppy. After about two weeks she'll be completely weaned off of the puppy chow.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

My Border Collies do very good on Adult Pedigree.........

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys. Mixing the adult food in gradually is a good idea.

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Watch how much food you give her.. our 75 pound dane / lab mix eats like a bodybuilder. high protien, and smaller portions, served through the day..it works out to 1 cup dry food, 3 to four times a day.. and we feed him a holistic dry food that's hypoallergenic from a company called Merrick.. he metabolizes it quick, and he still has a nice waistline..

there's lot's of crap food out there that will pack the pounds on a dog, even at one cup a day, just because of the fat content..