Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dog Owners?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Corey 78K5, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I was driving over the King Range Mountains on my way to work this morning. I came across two dogs out in the middel of no where I was at least 20 miles from the nearest house and they looked a bit scared and hungry. I loaded them in the back of my truck so they wouldn't get hit by a passing log truck. Once I got to the nerest town I bought them a bag of food and some water which they wiped out in no time. I also noticed a lot of bone sticking out. So I assume they have been on their own for a while. Now they both have collars and dog tags but all the tags gave was the last Vet they saw which was in 2000 what shots they had and a 4 didgit number. So does anyone know if the 4 didgit number is for identifying the dog's and could this help in getting a hold of the owners. I did call the Vets number but it was after hours and so I just left my number and what I had found.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

If the number was on the same tag as the vet tag then that is their rabies vacc. number. Most vets should keep these numbers on file along with the dog's name and the owner's name and address. If it was on a separate tag, then it could be the dog tax serial number, which should be kept on file with the owner's name at either the courthouse or city hall. I want to commend you on what you did. Most people would just pass these dogs up. I work at a vet part-time and you wouldn't believe some of the horrible cases of neglect that i've seen. If they look like that, you may not want them to go back to their owner, if he takes that bad of care of them. Anyway, yes those tags should help to answer your question.

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

It realy makes me happy to see people like you in this world. If my dog were lost (unlikly now shes 12 yeares old and never leaves the yard even if the gate is open /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) i would whant people like you to pick her up.

4. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Good man Corey....I LOVE dogs! You got a good heart. KEEP the dang mutts.

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yes all the info was on one tag. Their pure breed Border Collies and I just so happen to already have a couple. If they do need a home I wouldn't think twice. I also would like to see them get home if that is where they belong cause once you've had one of these dogs you don't want to lose them.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, let's hope that they were just lost, not dumped or something. But the 2000 vet tag just makes me suspicious of how well the owner takes care of them.

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

you get at least one "atta boy" for that.
    if ya keep 'em, add two more.
    are they both ales, or a mix, or what? how old do you think they are? probably at least three, with a two-year old tag. i hope they haven't been wandering around for two freakin years....
    wilderness dog, and his trusty sidekick scrounge-a-lot.
    keep us posted.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

From what I see both pure breed but one does apear to be older and has had a litter a one time. The other is probably around a year old and does not obey simple commands as well. I think what happend is a few weeks back when deer season was still opened someone took them out with them and lost them. Not what you would want to take hunting.

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'll aks around for you...

[​IMG]

10. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

what the hell is that?

11. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Doesn't seem like somone would leave the collars/tags on 'em if they ditched 'em on purpose.

12. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

definatley keep trying the vet's number, at least he may have some info on them and who they could belong to, but also ask questions to the vet if he will answer on how well the owner took care of them and if they were kept current on there checkups and shots, that will tell you alot about the owners and how well they cared for the dogs, kind of suspicious though if they were left in the mountains, i know i wouldn't leave my dogs even if it took me days to find them so you may think about possibley keeping them or finding them good homes. another thought look for lost ads in the paper maybe someone posted an ad looking for them. they also could of been dognaped it unfortunatly happens alot especially to pure breds someone will come into your yard and steal your dog in order to breed them but if they dog turns out spayed or nuetered they let them go not bothering to take them back where they got them so that could be a possibility to. just a thought.

kelly

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Well I finaly got it all sorted out today. Turns out the dogs are the victims of a bad divorce. Turns out the lady that owns them felt for the time being that they would be better off at her former home of her soon to be ex husband which had a kennel. Well apperently the food that she was sending over for them had never been opened up. So it seems that they left in search of food. At first I was skeptical. So I spoke with the vet and was assured that the lady was ok and that it was the ex who was to blame. She was happy to see them and offerd to cover the 6 hours I missed from work today and pay for the food and gas I put out for them. I told her not to worry about it and just told her to give me a call anytime they needed a home or if they needed to be watched for a while.

14. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

thats great, it brought a tear to my eye...

15. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I found my dog on the side of I-40 in Albuquerque rolling in something dead. She had scars across her neck. I had already lost one dog to a car, so I wasn't going to let it happen to some other dog. I jumped on the off ramp, did 85+ back down the frontage road in my 82 Chevy Citation, got back on the freeway and floored it until I got back to where she was. She barked at me and I said, "if she's gonna bite me,she's gonna bite me." and I grabbed her and threw her in the back. It was obvious she had been abused because she would flinch from everything and even peed all through the house once when my mom walked through in her high heels. For the longest time she wouldn't go to anyone but me, and I was the only guy she would trust. She wouldn't go near any other men. I still have her.

I also saw another dog a few years later on hiway 40 in Albuquerque get hit by a car. The lady behind us just nailed it. My friend and I turned around and saw it limping away, it's leg was broken. I ran over, wrapped my jacket around my arm and picked it up. As I was walking away, it's broken leg slipped and it jumped, turned it's head and kinda hit me with it's teeth. I gently set it down and it went home, which wasn't that far away. I ended up with a stitch in my temple and 3 in my lower eyelid. She ALMOST got my left eye. The hospital was trying to tell the authorities where the dog was, but I told them to just make sure it was okay because it wasn't the dogs fault, but to cite the owner for letting their dog run loose next to a hiway. I didn't want to press any charges or have the dog destroyed. I went back a few days later and saw it just laying in the front yard. I wanted to go in a deck the owner.

I've brought home so many dogs it's not even funny, if I find 'em stray, I bring them home, clean 'em up and either take them to the owner or find a home. I wasn't about to try to find my dog's owner because obviously they didn't deserve her.
    That's the end of my novel. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I take my hat off to you big time. Glad there are still people like you in this world. You rock! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif