Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dog was Poisoned....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Mar 29, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

My pup shiner, who is 2 years old was poisoned somehow about a week ago. Don't know whether it was foul play, if someone was spraying nearby, or what, but he's pretty out of it. He spend 5 days at the vet with IVs in him but they released him on Tuesday. Said I need to make him eat, but he has no interest in it. So in my quest to find what's best for him, I've been mixing up about 50/50 with the special liver rebuilding dog food the vet sold me and some ensure plus. To this, I've been adding a couple raw eggs for protein, blend it all up and force feed him 5 to 6 times a day with a baster. Hate it, but dont know what else to do. He wont eat ANYTHING solid and seems to be getting weaker and weaker by the day. Does anyone know anything else I can try before we have to put him down? Just looking for good ideas here. He's my wheeling buddy, and hasn't gotten to go wheeling yet....so he's got to survive. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Bryan

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Sorry to hear that Bryan...Hope you and your dog have better luck. Sounds like he got into some nasty stuff. Sorry I don't have any input about the food.

3. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

What have you tried? A vet once recommended that I pan fry some hamburger for my dog when she was sick. Maybe you could also try mixing in some fresh bacon grease.

I'm sorry to hear about your pup. Hope he gets better.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My last dog wasn't poisened, but when he was a pup he got Parvo (sp). He wouldn't eat anything, and we would force feed him Gatorade, or the Pedi-a-Light stuff for infants. If has lots of sugars, and electrolites which they need when they are in a weakened state. You might try that. He did survive to be 10 yrs old. I hope he gets better man. I know I hated loosing my dog. Much luck with your efforts.

Harley

P.S. The Pedi-a-light is the better of the two.

5. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Now that you mentioned it, my vet also highly recommended pedi-a-lite. I knew there was something I was forgetting.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Tried bologna, salami, grease, fat, cheese, milk, steak, ect ect ect....wish I had known about the pedilite sooner but it probably wouldn't have made any difference. Everything that comes out is very very black...and now it's worse. Taking him in in the morning, thanks for the quick replys, maybe i should have asked sooner.

Bryan

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Get pedalite that stuff is good.... I'd personally avoid the grease. I know dogs dig it but if he's empty and eats greasy food.... you'll be having that dog leaving messy gifts all over the place and that REALLY sucks! It's the same if you were sick with the stomach flu then you ate a Big Mac... you'd be... well, you get the idea.... my suggestion is get some baby food that has meat in it (cuz I'm thinking mashed peas would be not your dogs fav!), the kind that is mashed up... get a big syringe like the giant kind vet supply sell to give sheep, horses and cows liquid medication... large enough to suck up the baby food into it and then open up his mouth and squirt it down. I had to do that when my dog got parvo too. It was messy. I hated it, the dog hated it... but the dog lived. The meat food at least the dog will probably tolerate the taste... I'd ask your vet about charcoal. I know when I was a kid I ate some crap I shouldn't have because my cousin said I could. Anyhow they gave me that because it absorbs the poisons and then when ya go it gets rid of it. I was also told milk coats the stomach and can soothe it, but it might too late since it was absorbed. I dunno honestly... just shooting ideas out... but the main is put food down the dogs throat even if you have to force it down. Otherwise chances are he won't do it himself because he's too sick and weak... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Don't give up on him. Dogs can come back from the edge pretty miraculously. Get some molasses and add it to the food stuff, and keep force feeding him. It's important to keep water in him, Pedialite (not flavored) is a good solution. Just be patient, feed and water a litle bit at a time and frequently (every 2-3 hours). If he hasn't died yet, he'll probably recover, as long as you stick it out with him.

Saved a dog of mine like that. Don't give up.

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Very black stools in humans are a symptom of stomach/intestinal bleeding.......rat poison is one type that causes this, I'm sure there are others.....don't know about what chemical sprays do physiologically....antifreeze crystalizes in the kidneys.....sorry to hear about your sick buddy....hope he can recover soon......JD

10. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

dude i was bummed out about the topic I thought the dog was already dead.. then I read that he had been released from the vet.. there must be hope still, dont give up.. Id be royally pissed off if someone poisoned my dog. I love that damn dog, what a great animal.. hes a black lab named CJ, will fetch and return the ball to you all day long...

what kind of dog is shiner? if it was foul play, its time to get out the bicycle chains and steel pipe. maybe some gasoline and a match too

mike

11. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Bryan,

Sorry to hear about your dog. Nothing lower than someone who would posion a dog.

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think you should be feeding him raw eggs, they have a hard time digesting the whites. Check w/your vet.

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks everyone. I took him back to the vet Saturday morning. He was so weak, but he isn't giving up yet. Wags his tail when I walk in the room, or pet him. He can just barely lift his head. So I took him in for another couple days on the IVs. Then I'll bring him back home and try some of the solutions you've said. Great ideas guys. It's crazy getting so attached to a dog, and this one is just a MUTT. He was a stray that showed up at my parents house. I had to drag him out of a culvert one night and kept him. That was about a year and a half ago, but now he goes everywhere with me. Love that dog. He's a mix, and I think he's about half Great Pyranees and half Catahoula. His mom who showed up with him is Catahoula, but he looks like a 60 pound pyranees. So who knows. Anyway, he's my dog and a great friend. Thanks for all the suggestions, now on to round two.

Bryan

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I hope it's just an accident ....... I'd hate to think that it was done on purpose ! I hope a full recovery is on the way !

14. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

This seems kinda mean at first, but it works. We used to raise calves, and had to force feed some of them if they got sick. You can buy a force feeder at most feed stores. It has a bag on one end, with a tube coming out, there is a clamp on the tube to stop the flow of food. The tube then connects to a straight piece of small pipe with a small ball on the end. You fill the bag with liquified food or at least pretty runny food, and make sure that the clamp is closed. Then you put a little vaseline on the ball, and slide it down their throat to their stomach, then open the clamp. It doesn't seem painful to them, and you get all the food in their stomach in a few quick seconds. You may want to give it a try.

15. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Be very careful you don't put it down the wrong pipe and put food in his lungs. Can you disconnect that hose? If you can, run it down his throat and when you get there, put your ear up to the hose and then press on his chest and see if you can hear his breath thru that hose. If you can, you're in the lungs.
    If you haven't done it before, or are not sure, I'd take him to the vet. I took a vet tech class in college and it's not as easy as just throwing a tub down his throat. He'll also want to gag since he won't be sedated and that's tricky to get past sometimes also.

If he's not doing any better by now, then you should take him to the vet anyway

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

he went back to the vet saturday...I'm going to visit him in a couple hours.

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

and this one is just a MUTT

<hr></blockquote>

But he's YOUR mutt /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Keep at it, you'll pull him out.

18. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

No broken record reply but, sorry man. Your vet. didnt metion anything about partial renal failure? Its common when cats/dogs/animals ingest rad. fluid. Pedia-lyte is good for animals but see if your vet. will approve using puppy formula. It has the vitamins and fats that he will also need. Also, wrap the dog in a blanket, put it in your lap and see if you can get him to at least eat out of your hand. Guess school is good for something.

19. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Sorry guys, Shiner passed on today. I buried him overlooking the pond and shop at my dad's place. He always liked going swimming in that pond, and got to help me work on my truck in the shop. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif It's sad not having him here, but I had a great time with him when he was around and a lot of good memories to think about. Thanks agian for the responses...makes me feel like part of a family here that yall care so much.

Bryan...

and btw, If I ever see someone poisioning an animal here or anywhere else ever again, that %%%&amp;*)((%#$## is gonna get their own trip to a hospital room.

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My condolences Bryan, losing a pet can be tough. It sounds like Shiner was a great dog, pet and friend!

Good to hear you found a good spot for him...

Rene