Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dog?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Jul 15, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I wont get another pup for a few months, but I'm in the mood to look at some pics. The new dog has to satisfy some general requirements that me and my wife agree with.

Cant shed, or sheds VERY minimally
    Good with kids
    Not tiny
    Easily trainable
    Ok in the house

Buehler Buehler???

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a Great Dane to me... And the kids can ride it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Black lab all the way, bud! Mine is the best dog I have ever owned. She very rarely chews anything, is super friendly, doesn't shed too much, and she LOVES kids. This in one of the only dogs I have ever owned that I am not worried about how she is going to act when we start having kids. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Whatever you decide....

do...

not...

get...

a...

dalmatian!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

These dogs are big and a PITA to take care of. Too hyper and playful. Mine are 6 and 7 years old respectively. The male is just so crazy because he wants to play with a racquetball all the time. The female is dumb. She just stands there staring at you. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Both dogs like to run around at night time so I have to keep them locked up and let them loose during the day time instead. Stay out of trouble when its light out as anyone can see them. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Both are amazingly humongous $h!tters!!! Got piles and piles of crap all over the yard about the size of baseballs/softballs. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I let the lawn mower mulch them into fertilizer. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I love both dogs, but they just require too much attention. Probably spoiled you could say. If and when they die, we will be looking to get one dog, smaller, like a weiner dog or a pug or something around those sizes. I want to have a dog that can come in the house and not be so hyper or stupid. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I think you'd be OK if you got any kind of a lab mix as long as it's not a Golden. When he was a pup, my Golden/German Shepherd mix was a chewing machine and stubborn as a mule. Now that he's 5, he's calmed down some, but I still won't have him in the house because he's such a spaz. I'm not sure if it's just him or the breed, but I've heard that Golden's aren't too bright.

On the other hand, my little female (black) lab mix is a dream. She's very smart, calms down really well in the house and she's got a wonderful disposition. She actually listens to me!
    [​IMG]

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> "Does not shed" and "Lab" shouldn't even be in the same paragraph, let alone in the same sentence. A Schnauzer might work for you, the whole haircut thing gets tiring but they're great dogs that do not shed at all and are generally great with people. They're available in 3 flavors - miniature, standard, and giant.</font>

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Learn German and get a Weimaraner. I have two and couldn't be happier with them. They have extremely short, wiry hair, and hardly ever shed. One of ours is great with kids. The other was abused as a puppy so she doesn't take so well to little kids playing grab-ass. I'll try to dig up some pics of them when I get home from work. So far, we've inspired 3 other people to get them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

(P.S.: Those dumb calendars and postcards of the dogs wearing human clothes are Weimaraners. The pics are done by a guy named William Wegman.)

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

And if you're going to get a schnauzer, go giant! I used to work at a vet and only saw 2 giant schnauzers the whole time I worked there. They were both awesome dogs.

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i had a english springer sapniel growing up. best dog i ever had. great with kids, dont shed too much, and arent too big!! i cant wait to buy a house so i can get another!!

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Weimaraners

Daisy (9)
    [​IMG]

Mitzi (3)
    [​IMG]

11. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> "Does not shed" and "Lab" shouldn't even be in the same paragraph, let alone in the same sentence. . .</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't shed much if you keep them in the house a lot and brush them /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif In fact, most dogs won't shed much if you keep them in the house a lot and brush them on a regular basis.

12. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yep, my dog is mostly a house dog and we brush her all the time. The thing is is that both my cat and my dog are black, so you can't really tell which one is shedding! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, schnauzers rock!
    Otto---&gt;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need a snoop

[​IMG]

-doesn't shed
    -good with kids
    -not tiny
    -easily trainable
    -ok in the house

15. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

Not tiny

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.... how about this one: Tosa Inu

up to 200lbs not tiny enough? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I want to have a dog that can come in the house and not be so hyper or stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been lookin for a woman like that!

17. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

springer spaniel

some bad breeders have made the dogs mean though, check out the parents or puppy if at all possible

18. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

http://www.kdrgsd.com/index.htm
    I have one of Bearow's CKC pups, Jack is now 6 and a half months old and is turing out to be the best GSD I have ever owned, He is already at 70 pounds!!! And way to smart!This breeders CKC pups are alot cheaper than the AKC pups, which are the ones you will see on his site.
    CKC $250 females, $350 males.
    Just givin an option.
    Gorrilla

19. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Tess (Lunch-Box) is a Springer/Lab mix. Extramly sharp and very easily trained, well behaved around kids (more like "could give a shibt"). Loves to smell stuff and pee on it out-doors, chewing machine (very large raw-hides come in handy). Very little shedding, but sdhedding is part of the game.

Slim-Sadie is a full-blown mutt. She learned just about everything from Tess, Etreamly well behaved around everyone, Sheds like a dog twice her size. She's all about the petting. I've never had a problem one with her. (there is no doubt in my mind, that raiseing two Dogs, is far-better, for everyone, than raiseing just one)

I don't think you could go wrong with a Lab/mix of some type.

I do think breeding type has a substantial impact on the "personality" of the dog, but in the end - it comes down to the owner.