Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dogs and chocolate

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shaggy, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> My dog ate a bunch of M&amp;Ms this afternoon. She's about 14 lbs and ate about 4 ounces of M&amp;Ms, so about the equivelent of one of those king size bags. From what I've seen it looks like the toxic amount is about 1oz of milk chocolate per pound of dog.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had their dog eat chocolate, and how long it took them to get it out of their system. She threw up once, a pretty hefty load... It smelled pretty much like M&amp;Ms and looked like melted chocolate, so I think she got quite a bit of it back out. However, she just isn't acting like herself, she's kind of lethargic and doesn't seem very happy. I'm hoping that it's just a bellyache since she didn't eat enough to kill herself, according to the information that I've found.

Anyways, just looking for some personal experience with dogs and chocolate, since I'm worried about her. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif </font color>

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I showed this to my wife, (she worked for a vet for 4 years) and she says to keep track of her behavior, IE if shes vomiting, when she goes to the bathroom, how much if anything she eats or drinks. If she starts acting like shes in pain or not responding to you, you need to get her to a vet immediately. If shes still not acting normal in the morning, take her to the vet.

If its been more than 4 hours, she will PROBABLY be fine.

Steph wants me to tell you she doesnt have any type of vet degree, so if you dont feel comfortable waiting to see how the dog does then you should take her in.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Cool, it's been almost 4 hours now, she's still plenty responsive, she comes when I call her and is sleeping in her normal spot (between my legs with the legrest up on my La-Z-Boy), she just seems kind of out-of-it. She's drinking alot, has thrown up 3 times now, but the last two have been mostly water. I think she's just trying to clean herself out. I pulled out her favorite toy (a puppet thing that she goes nuts for) and she went berzerk just like usual and played just as aggressively as she usually dose with it. I think she's going to be fine, she just ate enough to give herself a pretty bad bellyache. Thanks!

Just took this pic of her -

[​IMG] </font color>

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Thats good shes doing alright. Dont ya just hate how these aniumals be come like another kid? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green">We don't have any kids yet, so she's like an only child right now. My wife treats her like a baby and I spoil her a bit too. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif </font color>

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

glad to hear shes ok.. my dog has done that..(beagle) and she starts panting a lot and her heart beat was a lot faster as if she had been running around a lot...but shes was ok...that was about a year ago..

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey is yer dog a German Schnauzer?
    My dad's dog is! His name is Otto. He likes margaritas. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    What's yer dog's name?
    Hope everythings okay with her. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My friend's dog ate his pot stash one time and i guess the dog's head swelled up like twice her normal size. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    And she was all lethargic for 3 days.

8. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

WOW I'm glad she's better now Shaggy!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif She has to keep that "gauntlet" going for the cats /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Her name is Lola, she's a miniature Schnauzer. I've seen a pic of your Dad's dog but he looks like he's a standard sized one, right? I've never given her margaritas, but she does like beer though, and apparantly M&amp;Ms too. She ate a jolly rancher too but I don't think that did her any harm. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif We are thinking about getting another one, I wanted to get a male and name him Otto. It's a good name for a Schnauzer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Aaron, she's not that out of it, she heard a cat earlier and went out to give chase. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm sure she'll be fine now. I was always told that chocolate will kill dogs...something about raising the heart rate too much...but from personal experience, I can say with a fair amount of certainty, that it would take a LOT of chocolate. My lab-golden mix ate a pan of chocolate brownies...still living, and I think she enjoyed it. And, my little Westie ate 22 valentine chocolate hearts (foil and all) and is still living...toughest little "prissy" dog I know.

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My old dog I had until this past summer once ate an entire 1 pound box of Sees candy. It didn't faze her. Some dogs I don't think it does anything too. Depends on the dog. Sounds like she is doing better now. But really I think the chocolate thing is a myth. I don't think it's great for em... and more then likely if they get sick it's cuz they stuffed themselves like a pig, but if it was really lethal to dogs I think Sees candy of all things would have done my dog in for sure...

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's definately toxic, it just takes alot of milk chocolate to kill them. A small amount of baker's chocolate will kill them though. I called poison control when Lola started shivering and they said that it's definately toxic, but they have to eat alot of milk chocolate to be fatal. </font color>

13. ChevyCaGal

I think I had a weird dog... but then again this dog ate things that should have killed her. She ate countless rubberbands, at least a few nerf balls, I know of a few pantyhose too as well one time about 4 pounds of ham. She jumped on the table after a dinner when we went outside to see my cousins new car and came back to her having a field day... oh and I almost forgot about the time she ate a bag of kisses with the foil on them still... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, I think some dogs just have a very strong constitution. I had a Yellow Lab once that ate everything from 10 lbs of Hamburger from Costco (including the styrofoam and cellophane) to a box of rat poison, including the box. Also ate alot of chocloate, sometimes pretty large quantities, but a 90 lb dog would need around 90 ounces of milk chocolate to be fatal, and that's ALOT of chocolate. He also liked rags, they came out more or less intact, just really dirty. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif </font color>

15. ChevyCaGal

My Grandma had a poodle named George... well one day George ate a beetle. About 3 days later he went outside and did a log. My Grandma walked over to clean it up and guess what was in the log. The beetle- and it was still alive. That just absolutely grossed me out for the longest time... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i used to throw my lab chocolate all the time. We used to put kisses on her nose and then she would toss her head up and catch the kiss in her mouth. realy cool!
    Well glad to see that your doggy is doing well, i realy have a soft spot for doggies /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

my 12 lb chihuahua ate 1.5 lbs of fudge one year. he threw up all night long but lived. teach me to leave fudge out. he ate chocolate as much as he could it seemed like would get it any way he could no matter where i out it. after about 9 years of life and trying to eat as much of the good stuff as possible he had to have his digestive track worked on. then be put on a special dies. he lived but had to be put down a year after i moved out.
    not cus the coacoa, but because of the fact he would draw blood on my mom if she tried to go anywhere near him while he was near anything that smelled like me. he was a guard chihuahua for me.
    Grant

18. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

my 12 lb chihuahua ate 1.5 lbs of fudge one year. he threw up all night long but lived. teach me to leave fudge out. he ate chocolate as much as he could it seemed like would get it any way he could no matter where i out it. after about 9 years of life and trying to eat as much of the good stuff as possible he had to have his digestive track worked on. then be put on a special dies. he lived but had to be put down a year after i moved out.
    not cus the coacoa, but because of the fact he would draw blood on my mom if she tried to go anywhere near him while he was near anything that smelled like me. he was a guard chihuahua for me. good luck to her, and im sure she will be fine. canned dog food if you dont normaly feed it to her will clean her system out, and the smell should get her to eat it fast.
    Grant

19. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Does anybody here remember when TV dinners came in aluminum foil trays? I had a sheepdog mix that would get into the trash and then we'd find turds with the foil all smashed in it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

20. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

My bull mastiff eats any and everything in the garage... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

He ate half of a six lb Duraflame log!

We had three of them left in the box, he at the top part of the wrapping and the top 1/2 of the log.

I presume these had some food smell on them from handling the logs with food smell on our hands.

Stupid dog! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif