Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dogs... anyone done this?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Jan 7, 2003.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

and, no, I'm not referring to what fumes' humpy guy is doing to blazerlady's puppy in the test forum /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I have an almost 5-year old male gs/golden mix. He is, for the most part, an outside dog. I'm considering getting another dog... this would be a 4 month old female lab/pit mix. I would like for this new dog to be an inside at night dog. My concern is that my other dog will be jealous and I will have a mess on my hands. So the question is... does anyone have an inside dog and and outside dog? How do they get along and how did you make it work? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Or is this just a bad idea altogether? Thanks!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Bad idea unless you keep the inside dog in the house at all times.

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I've got two outside confined to kennels and one in the house...No problems at all. The inside dog is out side during the day... They play together great and I've never senced any jealousy at all.... My parents have one inside and one out...no problems there either....

The outside dogs have never been in the house so they don't know what they are missing....Kennel dogs have always been in there also...Just be consistant, they are either inside or outside dogs.... Good luck

Stomper /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. 502 4x4

502 4x4 1/2 ton status

YeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaa!!!!"Hang on Humpy"
    [​IMG]
    Oooops.....Wrong forum! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

We have a lab/golden mix and she was strictly an outdoor dog...unless it was REALLY cold outside.
    Then, we got a Westie (little lap dog) about 5 years ago, and she was - obviously - an indoor dog.
    My outdoor dog, Duchess, stayed outside for about 4-5 months after we got the Westie, Bonny. I think she would have been fine out there/not jealous....but we (the kids) talked our parents into letting Duchess in...using the terms "lonely" and "jealous" in our plea.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Being a dog person myself... id say its a bad idea. Give your existing dog the attention your looking to give the new puppy. She will be a much happier dog for it. There will be some serious jealous feelings. I keep Molly inside, and the roommates dog stays outside during the day and when its raining... or whatever.. and you can tell her feelings get hurt. She doesnt understand.

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I've got a dog named Molly also. Good dog name

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

bad idea, that would be like playing favorites with kids! The little dog would get chewed on while outside. I see this with the stray cats we have. When a kitten sneeks in the door and you feed it, the others smack it around when it goes back out /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

at the risk of sounding unpopular, dogs are not little people in fur coats. treat them like the pack animals they are. if the leader of the pack deems one dog allowed inside, and no others, that is the way ALL the dogs will behave and accept.
    dogs definitely have feelings, and you can tell when one is unhappy or upset, but to attribute exact human emotions to animals is bordering on fantasy.
    there will be a period where your current dog will need time to adjust to there being an addition to the clan, and his (or her) role in the pack's hierarchy will change. the dog will react to this re-assesment of its position, but you (or your hubby) are the alpha, and your descisions are final.
    that being said, i have three pampered, inside dogs. a 6-yr golden retriever/chow mix, a 4-yr gs/gr+chow mix (the 6-yr is the mom), and a 1-yr rot/lab mix. a rotten lab, i say. they know i'm the alpha, and a look or a hand signal is usually enough to manage them, but they also know that mom is kinda a softie. kinda like the kids, in fact.
    hmmm, maybe the people in fur coats things isn't so far-fetched..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    dogs are not little people in fur coats

[/ QUOTE ] Yes they are. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif