Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dogs: in or out

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 76zimmer, Feb 22, 2007.

?

Assuming the dog is able to handle the weather, and is provided with shelter:

1. keep dog indoors all the time to be with the family

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. keep dog out all the time/no mess or accidents

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. keep dog in when family is home/out when not

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  4. don't worry about the dog, go nekkid and sleep in the snow

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've had both, only kept the Siberian out because she liked it better out, and could handle it fine. She would sleep in the snow! Of course she had to have A/C in the summer.

But which do you prefer? and what is your reasoning

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

3 wawas and a dobey, guess which one sleeps outside???:crazy:
    working/gaurd dogs and lap dogs have an entirely different status. Although it has been nice enough to let the dobey out to run the last couple days after morning walks...:D

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i pick inside Dave.my thing is cuz numb nuts hase no fur.and i think all dogs should be in. when you where a coat and spend time outside you feel the cold , right?but the dogs are just supposed to suck it up."but they have fur".it went through your coat.

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

lets see some pics of your doggies.:D :D

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Always inside..that's where his couches are..

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Mine stays inside, cause I have no yard to speak of.

I do take her to jobsites and let her run, though.:D

7. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

I voted to keep dogs out. Though my wife has two small dogs in the house my dog stays outside.

I have had them both ways but this one is being raised to "patrol" the yard. We have a problem with people wanting to approach our stuff or use the yard for a thru-way. Fence is going starting Monday around the perimeter of our 5 acres. From there, Anka will be trained just to walk to fence line a few times a day.

8. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a pug and an Aussie Shepherd. They stay indoors all of the time especially in winter except to "do their business". In the summer we let them out in the fenced-in backyard for longer periods...

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My labs are in when we are home, and in my air conditioned shop with a dog-door to the back yard when we are not. I have a 1/2 acre side yard, so we also have an underground fence so that they can have the run of the yard with the kids when we are around.

10. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I have one that stays outside 24/7 and one that comes in only at night. My GS mix is the yard duty dog and my little pit hides under the bed at night. I would hope that if I ever had an intruder she might actually try to protect me :doah:

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When we lived in Detroit , we had a Shepherd . He stayed outside yearound while we were at school , and parents at work .

Never bothered him at all .

Depends on the breed how they handle things . Some breeds are a stones throw from their ancestors .

12. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Big dogs=outside
    Little dogs=not really dogs, more like cats that bark. Inside

We have a Rott/Hound mix. She's outside until the temp hits 35*f or less. She's likes chasing squirrels.

John

13. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

thats cool Daryl, like I said my dog would actually sleep in the snow in her kennel, rather than go in the doghouse. I would make her come in the 50* breezeway when it got real bad out though. When I let her run loose (which is not a good thing to do with a Siberian, because they love to run away, especially when they are young) she would play in the snow, like diving into it, and rooting her face into it, it was like laying on the beach to her.
    She was cool. Anyhow I'm thinking about getting another one, but feel like I should go to the Animal Shelter to find a dog, rather than pay $500 for another Siberian.

14. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

My rotweiller is inside or out when the family is home. Wherever he wants to be. He really is a part of the family and I think being in with us is what gives him such a good temperment. When were not home he's allways outside to take care of buisness. Keeps deer, people and whatever other kind of animal off the property.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

We have a pet door so the dogs and cats pretty much come and go as they please. But they seem to spend at least 50% of the time outside. Unless its real cold or snowing then we have a house full of animals. They also seem to hang around the house at dinner time for some reason. Never really have any messes inside from the animals they seem to know to go outside to do their business or if they have to hawk up a hair ball.

16. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

My Springer started out an outside dog, but we ended up with too many live birds being retrieved. Bugs the neighbors to see the dog running around with a robin kicking in her mouth.

She does a good job of keeping the cats in line too!

17. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Almost forgot to add that we have a lot of "lost dog" signs in the neighborhood, and a few years ago I ran off a dude that was taking pictures of my neighbors dog that stayed outside a lot.. ( well taken care of, just easy to see from the street) ..I'm guessing that outside dogs are being swiped and used as bait for training fighting dogs, so that's another reason mine stays indoors... I could be wrong, but I'd rather not come home and find my dog missing..

18. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I prefer my dogs indoors, with a fenced yard and a doggy door. My dogs are a part of my family.

When I lived on a farm we had outdoor only dogs that slept on the porch and when we went outside to do chores they all got up and went with us. They were allowed in when they got older or during REALLY cold inclimate weather.

If you have outside only dogs, then you MUST provide them with appropriate shelter, food and water and exercise. Yes, that's right. If you have a small yard and an outside dog, the run of the yard is NOT enough space for them to get exercise. Depending on their size they may still need 2 or 3 long walks a day.

Oh and I not talking to anyone imparticular, just in general so I hope noone gets all butthert about this.

19. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Sara is outisde all day , inside all night . She has a job and does it well . I know when and if someone approaches my home :thumb:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

what kind of dogis yours pauly? looks just like mine except shes mostly black. got her free from someone who was moving. she was only 10 lbs. she loves it outside, as long as she has her blanket.
    IMG_0421 (Small).JPG

IMG_0421 (Small).JPG