Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dogs sixth sense? They know bad people?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 14, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

We have this new neighbor, he's been there a few months now. He is s newly divorced man, has a teenage daughter living there with him. He's very friendly; too friendly, it's a little disturbing, and actually kind of annoying.

So he's become good freinds with my dad, who, unfortunately for me, lives right behind and over one from me, so my yard is his throughway to talk to this freindly neighbor. My dad also takes it upon himself to invite him through my yard to his yard (dad's yard), since we already have the opening in the fence between our yards, etc.

So where this is leading... My faithful beast LOVES people, but she seems to hate our neighbor. She growls at him, barks at him, if she's outside and hears his voice in his yard, she goes a little nutty. She's super-people-friendly if we indicate a person is ok (she'll bark and growl at people she doesn't know when they're on our "turf" until she sees us freindly to the person). But after months of us being cordial and this guy being in our yard on occasion, she still treats him like a stranger and is defensive with him.

Further issues:
    I have a 6 year old girl and a 4 year old boy. This neighbor is extremely freindly to my daughter, gives her flowers and little presents, talks to her all the time, invites her over, etc. He apparently does the same thing to the little girl who lives on the other side of him, whose family we barely know, but we chat with occasionally. We don't ever let her out of our sight with him, but I'm becoming a little troubled by this behavior. He seems to bond better with her than he would with us, and that makes me wary that they might develope something like "secrets" or other things no parent likes to think of.
    Emmy is very well learned in being aware of bad people seeming like good people, and bad touches, and secrets and other things I wish we'd never have to teach her, but I'm still worried. An adult can fool a child very easily.

So anyway, that's not the issue I'm wondering right now. The issue I'm thinking about is whether my dog can detect malice or artificial personalities, or whether she detects my standoffish attitude toward the neighbor (I only recently became standoffish, as I started becoming uncomfortable with the way things were).

What do you guys think? Is my dog being the guardian and warning us she thinks something's not right?

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Wow, ummmm. Not for nuthin but that overly friendly attitude towards your daughter (not your son?) is a little disturbing.

It could be completely innocuous but.....

I think I'd encourage your daughter to keep her distance.

3. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Just sick your dog on him, sounds like a damn weirdo if you ask me. I wouldn't let that dude within 50 feet of your kids, but then again I'm paranoid and with all the talk in the news about molesters.

4. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

run a pervert check on him.
    Registered child molester check in your local area.

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Yup. Go to your local police website and check the molesters out. They should have a picture and address.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I am worried about him and have researched him, but I'm really curious about my dog at the moment. I'm really impressed if she's reading a bad situation and warning us about it.

Either way, at the moment, there's nothing I can do about the neighbor situation but be extremely vigiliant and constantly educate my kids, and let them know there are things the neighbor should never do no matter how nice he is or how much of a good freind he is. I'm extremely wary of that, my extended family has dealt with molestation coming from very trusted people, so we all try to keep the kids educated about these things. Nice forkin world, eh?

But the more I think about the mutt disliking this guy because she considers him a threat or bad thing to the family, the more I love that big dumb mutt...

Have I been spelling friend wrong all night?

7. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Spelled it right as far as I can tell...

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

An intelligent dog can figure out who's good and who's bad, especially when the bad person is interacting with it's people.

When I was about 10, the dog I had at the time was an irish setter / chesapeake bay retriever mix.. actually piddled on a friend of my brothers that my mom hated. He was a bad dude too. My mom gave that dog I think half a damn meatloaf that night as a reward.

My current dog coal ( dane - lab mix ) is a pet whore that loves everyone.

It's funny that my close friends decided they could trust me when they first met me, because their kids, dogs or cats would flock to me when I was around. Maybe not the most scientific test, but it worked for them. :D

All speculation aside, Ratch, go with your gut on this one. I'd run a perv check, then call him out, even if the perv check is negative. tell him that what he's doing bothers you and tell him to knock it off.

if he backs off, he'll know you're watching him.. if he rages at you, drop him fast and hard. Then tell your dad to get a new friend, regardless of what happens.

If it was me, I'd be a hardass about it, and not let it play out. I don't like how this one sounds.

Tom

9. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

hard to say since I had no kids involved, but my belated dog hated my wife's youngest uncle and pretty much just him. of all the people that came to our house on a regular basis, he just hated him with a passion. he barked at all vehicles that came into the driveway, but once he saw or heard their voice, he calmed down. I used to think it was his truck that he didn't like but he drove several different ones at times and each time he heard his voice, he would just about attack him. I've never seen Frank do anything wrong to my dog so I assume it was just his nature he didn't like. so to the point, I think all animals have this sixth sense about people. hell, found out just how sneaky and back stabbing Frank was.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Like I've said before, america doesn't trust the innocent anymore

Some times justifiably so

I relate to kids really well, but inviting them over is a little odd, keep and eye out and try and educate your kids

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I thought this as well before I even read your response. And the neighbors daughter too.

Does the dog ever see them (neighbor and daughter) together? Or act more defensive when they are together?

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

If the dog isn't abused or psychotic, then yes, they generally know.

No normal man pays that much attention to little girls. Be aggressive about finding out this guy's past. Don't let your kids over at his house. If it were me I'd tell the guy to his face I didn't want him hanging around my kids. The worst that would happen is he'd be offended and wouldn't walk through your yard anymore.

You never want to regret not doing enough if something were to happen. it's not something you'd ever get over. Explain that to your dad if he complains about your actions.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't know how she (the dog) acts when she sees him with his daughter, I don't think she's ever seen the daughter (I only have like 2 or 3 times).

Skigirl, good point. I'm just not sure how to approach it, and it might be pretty bad if he's just a lonely guy getting over a divorce and trying to be friendly to everyone.

BTW, a point I didn't mention about this guy is that his daughter and my youngest brother are both in high school band together, so my parents have known him for a while from that. I think he and my mom dislike each other, but I don't really know. I thought I also mentioned that he supposedly used to be an elemntary school teacher many years ago. Don't know what bearing that has, as child molestors usually put themselves in positions of trust with kids.
    He also doesn't seem to hide his friendliness to the kids if me or my wife are around. I don't know if that's a plus or just clouds it further, either.

I guess I'll have a talk with my dad and ask him to leave their friendship in the different yards.

We chatted with a friend about this who's a dog nut, and he says everyone his dog has ever disliked has turned out to be a "bad" friend in the long run anyway, so he says trust the dog's instinct.

So the general idea looks like I should trust my big dumb mutt. I'm not sure if I should give her a biscuit after she growls at him or not, though... It's good knowing he knows the beast is always home and she is defensive of us as needed. Maybe it helps that he's seen me carry my rifle to the car occasionally, too...

14. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My dog loves just about everybody. I have only heard her bark or growl like 4 or 5 times. She hates my brother in law, so she is obviously a good judge of character because he is/was a drug dealer, and pretty rough person. I'd trust my dog to pick out a bad person

15. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Ratch, I had a similar experience. This lady, who's daughter works for a friend, showed up with a new boyfriend one day. Over the course of a few months I would talk to the guy, just general BS. He takes his girlfriend's son out to start mowing lawns. To me there wasn't something quite right about this guy. One day, out of the blue he invites my 8 YO (at the time) daughter and a couple other mutual friends daughters camping. Needless to say, I am overly protective of my children, and a swift no came on the heels of his invite. A couple of months go by, and said boyfriend ain't around anymore. Turns out the MF'r was some kind of pedophile and had landed his behind back in jail. Trust your instincts, and don't trust anyone more friendly to your children than they are to you.

John

16. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I think we have established the need to keep a watchful eye on this guy and protect your family at all costs.

That being said, about the dogs... I had a horse of a black lab, floyd, who was a pretty macho dog. Anytime someone came to the door he would start growling and the hair on his back and near his tail would stand up - that was with most people. That dog died, and I now have another black lab, hank, who is a total weenie (half the size of floyd). He barks when people come to the door, but his hair rarely stands up.

The times hank really starts getting nuts with his hair standing up and all is really a curious situation. I used to live in a neighborhood that was nearly 100% white - just a couple of asians. Whenever a black person or a mexican would come to the door, the dog would go ape! My parents had a housekeeper that had been cleaning the house since I was born, and still does. The dog see's her all the time and is cool once she is in the house, but when she parks and starts walking towards the house he goes nutz. The dog would also get a little defensive if people covered in dirt / grease showed up - plumbers, gardners, etc.

I am not racist at all, but my dog might be. For what it is worth, these are my observations with my dogs. We have often speculated about this very question.

17. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I definately watch this guy carefully...for sure.

When Greg72 was doing his trip accross the country...a couple years ago...
    he stopped at my place to visit.My cat that was raise around 3 dogs (the cat was my Mom's) wouldn't even let Greg in the house....he was growlin, hissin' at the top of the stairs.

But when "madmike"comes around..he's Mike's buddy...following him around...
    being very social.

So...I really think Greg is cool...with no issues...
    there was something that my cat (Merlot) didn't like about Greg...
    I'm not sure what it was. Animals can be wierd for NO reason too.
    I think. ;)

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

same with my dog, super nice, really friendly, but one time a middle eastern person came up to our house, she flipped out, growling and barking, wouldent evan let him get out of the car.... kinda weird
    mabye he was part of that group they arrested in Lodi :(

19. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I was meaning when your neighbor is around your daughter. We had a dog that would growl at stranges if they walked in our yard, but would attack if they went near the house or shop. I guess she sensed an increased danger by strange people going near our property. I think most dogs can determine how severe a situation is and respond accordingly. But then theres always those dogs that will lay in the yard and watch a thief carry everything out of your house and not even bother to bark.

I consider myself to be a normal man. I also pay much attention to little girls. But, I also pay an equal amount of attention to little boys. My partner and I have so far have been unsuccessful in having children, so we tend to spend time with others kids. A lot of parents take their kids for granted, or think of them as a burden on their daily life, and don't spend much time with them. Thier kids are always happy to see us because we make them feel like they are the most important thing around, something that parents often fail to do. Ratch's neighbor seems to be a little freaky though because of the flowers and presents and invitations to his house and so on. All we would ever do is bring them some candy - feed them a ton of sugar and get them all wound up and then LEAVE and let the parents deal with it! :haha: :haha: Just don't generalize "no normal man". Like R_J says - "Like I've said before, america doesn't trust the innocent anymore"

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

in this country, everyone is supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. but, when the situation involves children, proving them guilty could be too late. i say the next time you see him, tell him to knock it off. also, go to the neighbors, and make sure they realize what is potentially up. as was said before, if he's offended, so be it, its better than harm coming to your daughter. if he goes apesh!t, drop him, he's probably guilty.