Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dogtracking

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wabash, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Wabash

Wabash Registered Member

im really getting p###ed off.people are always pulling me over and teling me that my blazer looks like it is driving down the road sideways(dogtreacking). the damn cops even pulled me over. i asked some people that i know in my hometown that have owned these trucks and have all said that theirs did the same.Is it just because the front tires stick out more than the rear or is there something wrong that i should know. oh and also the frame was checked by the previos owner right before i bought it,and it was as straight as an arrow.
    thanx for any replies, wabash

1972 K/5 Blazer
    4"BDS suspension lift,33"tires,300hp 350,350 turbo tranny,factory tach,factoryvaccum gauge,np205,factory rollbar

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Most likely it is just because the front is wider like you said. You can take it to an alignment shop if you want to be sure or get a van 14BFF and have the rear the same with as the front.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

4. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

be careful with spacers, they are illegal in some states (utah for instance). as far as dogtracking goes it probably is the fact that the front is wider than the rear axle, but I had a blazer with REALLY bad body mounts that looked like it was dog tracking because the body wasn't sitting on the frame straight, you might want to check that out as well.

'72 blazer 9" lift YOKO mudders 35x12.50 350/sm465/3.73 UTAH

5. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Also, be sure your rear spring centerbolts have not sheared off allowing the axle to shift. Doesn't take too much misalignment of the axle to make it drive sideways. jt

6. tshiko

tshiko Registered Member

The guys are right, but if the truck is really dogtracking that bad it would wear the tires out real fast and you would feel it in the steering wheel as well since it could not constantly pull in one direction. It may simply be the body mounts, or the narrow rear track. If you tires wear unevenlly, I would check the center bolt on all your four springs. You can get a quick visual on the front spring, but you will most likely have to measure the distance from the support to the axle in the rear. Good luck!

7. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

One thing you can do to see if you are 'tracking is to drive straight through some shallow mud or sand and check your tire tracks. Just my $.02!

"High compression engines take longer to start!"

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

One thing that comes to mind is if some jackass (those previous owners) re-welded the spring perches on the rear axle, and didn't take care measuring it?
    I'd measure the center of the spring perches to the drums, and make sure both sides are the same.

Otherwise, I'd say bad body mounts could make it apper as if the truck is going down the road sideways.

9. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

Try driving slowly threw a puddle of water, then on to dry pavement in a straight line. Then check out your tire tracks, this will show if you are tracking straight. This is a good thing to do on a test drive when buying an older vehicle.