Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DOH!!! Cant shift my NV4500!!- UPDATE FIXED.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I checked the so called "bad slave cylinder"- I looked at it, and its not bad. Do you know what part ACTUALLY broke?

The little rubber washer.
    So yes, I just paid 250 dollars for someone to replace... a rubber washer. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

when I asked the mechanic, "why didnt you just replace the rubber washer? This slave cylinder obviously isnt broken. "

he said "There's all this fluid"- Yeah there was fluid, its called FREAKIN MOTOR OIL. If he cant tell the difference between motor oil and brake hydrolic fluid.... /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

asking again, I said, "why didnt you just replace the rubber gasket?"

to which I got, "Oh, well, you know, they dont sell those seperately.". /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I hate mechanics. I've only met one that I acutally liked, and it was these croatians who only worked on classic mercedes and bmw's in cali.

------------------------------
    I dont know if its related or not.. but remember when I posted previously about "adjusting the clutch" for pedal feel? Well, I was driving through stop and go traffic.. everything is fine... then I went to get out of gear, and *poof*, no more clutch pedal. (No, its not the clutch disc or tranny which is out, only the clutch pedal!)

I manage to slow down and bogg the engine enough to limp off the freeway and find a parking lot- Look at the fluid levels, empty. Add some more, pump a little. Fluid disappears.

Look on the side where the fluid feeds the acutal mechanism- there's a crack on the hose! So all the fluid is pissing out.

I've tried a bandaid fix with epoxy, but the fluid pressure just split it apart. I was able to limp it again to a good shop, but any idea how much a unit would cost to replace? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: DOH!!! Cant shift my NV4500!!

Hydraulic clutch? You just need a hose?

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Same thing happenned to me an my grandpa on our way to go hunting.

Yeah you just need to replace the line. Really easy, theres just some bolts holding it to the firewall, and then the slave and master each have tiny rollpins, you take them out, and pull the line out!

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

So thats what those pins are! Is it a special factory hose?

I would assume the part would be no more than 50 bucks, and should be less than 1 hr of labor?

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

The hose is all pre bent and all. Most likely just get it from the dealer. There should be cotter pins, through the roll pins, take those out, then the roll pins come out. Shouldnt be that hard to replace at all.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

The shop that I have it as claims that the "slave cylinder" is bad.

But when I looked the slave wasnt the part leaking- rather the leak was before the bleeder screw (which in my mind, means that it isnt the slave.

Either way, they quoted something like 230 for parts and labor, and I dont have access to be at my truck, so...

I just dont want them to replace the slave, then have to replace the real part that was acutally broken.

I saw one cotter pin-, up by the master clutch cylinder area- I did not however see a cotter down by the slave- Only a roll pin.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

$230 hua? Well I think my slave and master were something like 50 bucks each, at cost not sure what the line costs. If you're sure there was a crack in the line, just replcae the line. no need to replace the slave if its not bad. and its easy as cake to replace if you decide to later.

The slave might not have a cotter pin, just wasnt there or boke off or somehting, (they're not that big).

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Im kicking mself for letting anyone do work on my truck. I went back to pay them, and the farkin thing is still broken, after rpelacing the slave. Now they say, "well, its not leaking, so.. it must be the master".

farkin mechanics. Im gonna just gonna go get the part and throw it in myself.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, Im kicking mself for letting anyone do work on my truck. I went back to pay them, and the farkin thing is still broken, after rpelacing the slave. Now they say, "well, its not leaking, so.. it must be the master".

farkin mechanics. Im gonna just gonna go get the part and throw it in myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was just a crack in the line? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Shouldnt have let them replace the slave.